• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6bra or 6 dasher

6bra or 6 dasher

• Total voters
Dasher, Alpha Brass, 105 or 109 Hybrids, send it.

my reamer is in the mail and the pipe is dialed in the lathe and literally for the entire reason above

ive been more than impressed with Alpha brass in my CM... im happy to run it in the rest of my chambers I cut in the future until they give me a reason not to

They all do the same shit. Send a 6mm @ 2775-2950 and do it well.

Pick one. Or pick them all if you like variety. It’s all the same shit.

Yep, they all split hairs, with the only real difference is case forming. The rest is hypotheticals. All these 6br cousins have been around for 10-15yrs. When I shot br, there was a guy running a 20 dasher at our club matches, that was 10 yrs ago.

It is, it’s mostly formed but on 2nd firing the shoulder body junction is sharp. On 1st firing I could see a roundness and the shoulders weren’t fully grown yet. I think it wasn’t till the 4firing when I realized where my shoulders actually sat. If I had started bumping on 1 or 2nd firing I would’ve prematurely bumped .003” extra, not good for pressure or case life. But during all this I shot them in matches and were stupid accurate. Even forming cases I was shooting it in matches.

so if your running 200 to 300 cases, you could easily be at the 1k mark before all your Lapua brash is fully formed into your BRA when you start bumping brass?

im not 100% familiar on the fire forming process on the wildcats. Im gearing up for dasher and have alpha brass ready to go.

as of right now, I dont see the advantage with the the BRA when it takes that much barrel life and components to get the brass 100% shaped, for a cartridge that is largely comparable in performance

so if your running 200 to 300 cases, you could easily be at the 1k mark before all your Lapua brash is fully formed into your BRA when you start bumping brass?

im not 100% familiar on the fire forming process on the wildcats. Im gearing up for dasher and have alpha brass ready to go.

as of right now, I dont see the advantage with the the BRA when it takes that much barrel life and components for a cartridge that is largely comparable in performance

no matter what you shoot you need to get a hundred rounds through it so the barrel will settle in so actually not wasted barrel life.

Reactions: Steel head
Was debating on these 2 cartridges a few months back but decided to go the dasher route. Got all dasher components and just waiting for my barrel. Next barrel order will be 6bra.

i do as do the the other 5-6 guys here that shoot the BRA.

Trying to decide between Dasher or BRA using Peterson brass. Have you split any brass fireforming? Planning on running 105s and/or 109s.

no matter what you shoot you need to get a hundred rounds through it so the barrel will settle in so actually not wasted barrel life.

I understand the speedup and wasnt implying anything was a waste really. was just curious and trying to understand the cost component. but to argue fire forming a stack of brass to get it usable over a course of 300 pieces of brass, twice to get it perfect, is FAR more than just the simple 100 to 150 rounds for speed up

Trying to decide between Dasher or BRA using Peterson brass. Have you split any brass fireforming? Planning on running 105s and/or 109s.

your not going to split any necks with the BRA...its an AI case so its actually .004 shorter than a straight BR so you get a crush fit when fire forming no need to jam or any of that.

Reactions: 260284
I understand the speedup and wasnt implying anything was a waste really. was just curious and trying to understand the cost component. but to argue fire forming a stack of brass to get it usable over a course of 300 pieces of brass, twice to get it perfect, is FAR more than just the simple 100 to 150 rounds for speed up

im on my 3rd BRA barrel and have yet had the need to fire form twice...one time and cases are formed with sharp shoulders...besides most virgin brass does not always shoot the same as a fired/sized piece does so basically your fire forming what ever your shooting...again im not saying one is better than the other.

im on my 3rd BRA barrel and have yet had the need to fire form twice...one time and cases are formed with sharp shoulders...besides most virgin brass does not always shoot the same as a fired/sized piece does so basically your fire forming what ever your shooting...again im not saying one is better than the other.

so your shoulders were sharp after your first firing, its that attributed to your specific process of fire forming? what was your opinion on the accuracy during fire forming and then bumping back and loading fire formed cases?

your not going to split any necks with the BRA...its an AI case so its actually .004 shorter than a straight BR so you get a crush fit when fire forming no need to jam or any of that.

How much less powder do you use in Peterson brass vs Lapua to get the same velocity in the BRA?

as of right now, I dont see the advantage with the the BRA when it takes that much barrel life and components to get the brass 100% shaped, for a cartridge that is largely comparable in performance
I run usually 300, so on 2firings I’m at 600rds on barrel, and most of those rounds were in a match. This year I’ve been doing good so it never held me back. Now I have 11x on that same brass on 2nd barrel and I still trust the brass. I’ve seen to many issues with other brands of brass that I’ll stick with Lapua. On my first dasher I ran a junk barrel to fireform to avoid barrel burn. That was a waste, best idea I’ve had is run the stuff in matches and prepare for it. Since day 1 I’ve run 31.7gr of varget with 105jlk’s going 2960ish, never wasted 200rds doing load work up or another 300 just forming. I’ve spent it in matches or on the range learning my dope.

Reactions: nrspence
I run usually 300, so on 2firings I’m at 600rds on barrel, and most of those rounds were in a match. This year I’ve been doing good so it never held me back. Now I have 11x on that same brass on 2nd barrel and I still trust the brass. I’ve seen to many issues with other brands of brass that I’ll stick with Lapua. On my first dasher I ran a junk barrel to fireform to avoid barrel burn. That was a waste, best idea I’ve had is run the stuff in matches and prepare for it. Since day 1 I’ve run 31.7gr of varget with 105jlk’s going 2960ish, never wasted 200rds doing load work up or another 300 just forming. I’ve spent it in matches or on the range learning my dope.

I would be freakin the f out fire forming brass during a match lol!!. I didnt realize that is a process that was normally done. I can see that nothings really wasted.

I would be freakin the f out fire forming brass during a match lol!!. I didnt realize that is a process that was normally done. I can see that nothings really wasted.

But why? Nothing extra ordinary is happening, it shoots extremely well accuracywise. It just comes out a different shape. I chrony & true before the match then shoot it. For forming BRA the only thing I feel is the slight headspace “crush” at shoulder neck junction, it’s nothing major but I can tell it’s seating differently then my current brass when I close the bolt.

Reactions: Patriots1884
But why? Nothing extra ordinary is happening, it shoots extremely well accuracywise. It just comes out a different shape. I chrony & true before the match then shoot it. For forming BRA the only thing I feel is the slight headspace “crush” at shoulder neck junction, it’s nothing major but I can tell it’s seating differently then my current brass when I close the bolt.

seems that there would be a greater chance at loss of accuracy or consistency while fire forming to be honest. im fascinated to learn that isn't the case.

I've had good accuracy from my 6BRA fireform loads. Occasionally I do feel the resistance in closing the bolt, which isn't bad but might make me nervous in a match. That inconsistency itself is actually most concerning to me, and could be perhaps from my cheap Lee Turret press.

I worry a little about galling lugs closing on a crush fit (after watching Cortina's reaction video) but with it being just the neck-shoulder junction 0.002" it's really just me being paranoid.

so your shoulders were sharp after your first firing, its that attributed to your specific process of fire forming? what was your opinion on the accuracy during fire forming and then bumping back and loading fire formed cases?

yes...accuracy is outstanding during fire forming...30g of varget and a 105 hybrid at .005 off the lands is a known very accurate load in the straight BR barrels ive shot in the past....accuracy after fire forming is just as good or better but i get slightly better ESs and SDs.

Reactions: Steel head
How much less powder do you use in Peterson brass vs Lapua to get the same velocity in the BRA?

the lapua and peterson are pretty close in internal capacity if i remember correctly lapua is about .5g more but i tried lapua(as did a couple of other guys here)and the peterson seems to shoots better/more consistent...also peterson will take a bit more abuse than lapua will.

Reactions: 260284
Pick one and run with it. I guarantee you cant shoot the difference between a bra, dasher, brx, etc. There are options for factory dasher brass so no need to worry about fire forming.

Pick one and run with it. I guarantee you cant shoot the difference between a bra, dasher, brx, etc. There are options for factory dasher brass so no need to worry about fire forming.

I chose dasher bc of the brass options, and I like to reply "6 Dasher" in a very homoerotic tone whenever anyone asks what im shooting next year and it makes people feel really uncomfortable and I like that.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
I chose dasher bc of the brass options, and I like to reply "6 Dasher" in a very homoerotic tone whenever anyone asks what im shooting next year and it makes people feel really uncomfortable and I like that.
I dont think the dasher compares to the "Gay Tiger" in that department...lol

i dont know why but peterson brass seems to preform a little better than lapua...at least in the 6+ BRAs at our matches...2 guys were have issues getting them to shoot like they should and only change was from lapua to peterson...dont get me wrong lapua shoots but the peterson seems to have a small edge.
Good stuff guys, how long has the Peterson 6 Dasher brass been available? Interested in trying it!!

Good stuff guys, how long has the Peterson 6 Dasher brass been available? Interested in trying it!!

not sure how long they have been making the dasher brass but ive shot peterson 260rem..6CM..6BR and they all shot great and held up very well.

I have a bunch coming in. Their BR and 6x47 brass is good, and I plan on shooting their dasher brass at the finale. If it doesn’t work well I’ll be shocked.

If I’m wading into this end of the pool, small sixes, I’m going for raw accuracy. I personally think the BRA shoots inside the other options.

*My opinion*
Based not on my own experience (I haven’t gone into this end of the pool), but on records falling to the BRA and the reports of guys that have been playing with the BR and it’s derivatives for a long time.

My guess is that it has to do with a case design that is close to optimal for a range of powders. Specifically H4895.

For the type of shooting discussed here, I don’t think the accuracy edge, if there, is relevant.

I might not be doing it right but. I have fire formed lapua in a dasher. I get great groups fire forming. After the first firing the brass is consistent enough to bump the shoulder. The next firing is just as accurate as the first. I didnt really know what I was getting into with the dasher. It’s fun to shoot but the fire forming and jamming rounds is kinda crappy. Either way it’s more accurate than I am.

I might not be doing it right but. I have fire formed lapua in a dasher. I get great groups fire forming. After the first firing the brass is consistent enough to bump the shoulder. The next firing is just as accurate as the first. I didnt really know what I was getting into with the dasher. It’s fun to shoot but the fire forming and jamming rounds is kinda crappy. Either way it’s more accurate than I am.
Thanks for the input!! By jamming rounds, you mean you were obviously pushing them into the lands? Good to hear that groups were good while fire forming!!

*My opinion*
Based not on my own experience (I haven’t gone into this end of the pool), but on records falling to the BRA and the reports of guys that have been playing with the BR and it’s derivatives for a long time.

My guess is that it has to do with a case design that is close to optimal for a range of powders. Specifically H4895.

For the type of shooting discussed here, I don’t think the accuracy edge, if there, is relevant.
Good to know about the option for 4895 on the BR/BRA, Varget seems to be the sauce for the dasher.

That
I have a bunch coming in. Their BR and 6x47 brass is good, and I plan on shooting their dasher brass at the finale. If it doesn’t work well I’ll be shocked.
That's encouraging that it's doing well so far, I have used the Peterson 6XC brass and it has been great! Running the LRP.

Reactions: lte82
lapua brass has become a second choice for me...IMO peterson brass is the best brass made right now.
That’s a hell of a statement. Lapua has always been my gold standard for brass. Once I get through my 200 pieces of Lapua brass l’ll give some peterson a try.

That’s a hell of a statement. Lapua has always been my gold standard for brass. Once I get through my 200 pieces of Lapua brass l’ll give some peterson a try.

it was for me as well until I ran a torture test in a 260 with Peterson.

Reactions: nrspence