• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6BRA Small base die

JBoomhauer

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2019
I currently use a harrels D3 die and am getting clickers after 4 or so reloads. Can someone point me towards a small base die for the 6bra?

I currently use a harrels D3 die and am getting clickers after 4 or so reloads. Can someone point me towards a small base die for the 6bra?
Maybe Newlon Precision;

Reactions: JBoomhauer
Had a similar issue with the D3. The dies are built to really minimally size. I believe they are more geared towards Benchrest.

Bottoming out on the shell plate I was real close to only a thou bump on the shoulder and not much at all on the base. I took a few thou off my shell holder (bench top sander) so I could run the die down just a little bit more--made the difference for me.

PS...I like the die/Harrels a lot.
ZY

Last edited:
Had a similar issue with the D3. The dies are built to really minimally size. I beleive they are more geared towards Benchrest.

Bottoming out on the shell plate I was real close to only a thou bump on the shoulder and not much at all on the base. I took a few thou off my shell holder (benchtop sander) so I could the die down just a little bit more made the difference for me.
PS...I like the die/Harrels a lot.
ZY

How far back are you bumping the shoulder now?

Bumping about 2.5-3 thou; I anneal each firing and its a field/match gun.

It was a light thou at first...and was getting some resistance on close sometimes. All bueno now!

ZY

Thanks, I’ve got the Redding competition shell holder set so I can play with bump a little. At .002 now, may try .004 and see what happens.

Reactions: ZY100
I'm using Whidden dies for my 6BRA and 300 PRC and don't have any base or bump issues. They make them slightly shorter to allow flexibility for bumping the shoulders, and with a smaller base.

Funny thing is that I've been helping a friend with reloading for his 300 PRC. The first set of loads I did with his once-fired caused heavy bolt lift. I was at a loss. The reamer used for his chamber was the same used for mine.

Fast forward a couple months. I got my new 300 PRC last week and was seating bullets in dummy rounds using leftover once fired Hornady. They caused stiff bolt when chambering. WTF? Oh, wait. I had been using my old Hornady die for my friend's rounds because his chamber was slightly different (bump) and the neck on the Hornady is thinner than the ADG I use, so I had a smaller bushing in it. I had been using the same die for the dummy rounds because the bushing was already the right size and I was too lazy to move it to my Whidden die.

Measured cases and found that the Hornady die sizes the base of the cases to .5335, while the Whidden sizes to .532. So I resized in my Whidden die and everything chambers fine.

My brass measures as follows at the web area
Virgin .4692
Sized .4701
Fired .4711