• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6CM vs 6XC

deadly0311

Tacticool Ninja
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I am in the processing of weighing the pros and cons of each round. In the very near future I will be rebarreling to one of these cartridges. The barrel length will be no longer than 24".

From what I have read thus far the CM seems to have more case capacity thus allowing a little higher velocity. The XC seems like its a little easier on barrels at near the same speeds. I will either be running the 107s or 115s.

Some of you guys that have shot both or either, please weigh in on this as far as what you are seeing and what kind of speed/accuracy you're getting.

Thanks

Oh and make sure you are clear on the name. A 6CM is the 6mm Competition Match, a cartridge based on the .243, that was around before the 6 creedmoor

well for one…. 6XC is going to be a headache when you go to hunt for brass. The 6mm Creedmoor was designed in conjunction with the 105gr Berger Hybrid and it just out performs the 115 DTAC flat out. Even more performance can be squeezed out when you point your bullets.
I ran a 6XC for about a year and sold the barrel off to get a 6mm Creedmoor barrel after shooting a gas gun. Which at the time was not a good comparison but I saw the potential it had. Now its one of the most popular calibers out there and brass is easily attainable from a number of sources.

Good luck in your research.

Performance-wise its pretty much a toss up from what I can tell. I went 6 Creedmoor because of the better (IMHO) brass availability and the known performance from an AR platform. Mine is in a bolt gun, but I plan to do an upper for my OBR as well. Running the 105 hybrids is like cheating...

I just picked up my new 6 Creedmoor Tuesday. I can't wait to put some rounds thru it.
My sole reasons for choosing it over 6XC were:
I am a 6.5CM lover already.
I have buds that have had a hard time getting accuracy from 6XC (finicky).
I wanted to shoot 105 to 115 grain bullets fast.

The Creedmoor will have more velocity. Brass, dies etc. all a wash. I had a 22" XC, if i was ever to get back into a 6mm it would be a 6 Creedmoor.

Potato, potahto in my book. I use a 6XC in my bolt gun, and have a 6 Creed on the way. I prefer semi-auto platforms so I'm betting the 6 Creed will get the nod most often. Can't go wrong with either. The 6.5mms are great, but you need to push them faster than a PMAG-length to get the most out of the cartridge. My 2 cents.

6xc
Easy to load for with 105 hybrids(why you'd shoot any other bullet I don't know ;) )
39.0-39.8 H4350 is money. If it doesn't shoot that you have problems.
Brass is expensive for the quality and hard to get.
Stupid accurate cartridge

6 creedmore

Good brass for the money and easy to get.
Stupid accurate
You can push a 105 faster than a 6xc if that tickles your fancy.

It's really all in what you want. Either would be a great choice for a 6mm round.

Potato, potahto in my book. I use a 6XC in my bolt gun, and have a 6 Creed on the way. I prefer semi-auto platforms so I'm betting the 6 Creed will get the nod most often. Can't go wrong with either. The 6.5mms are great, but you need to push them faster than a PMAG-length to get the most out of the cartridge. My 2 cents.

3000 FPS in a semi auto is not fast enough for you? That is screaming out of a 22" barreled semi auto platform.
My GAP10 has never had an issue out to 1200 yards. :D

I have used both the XC and the Competition Match.

My XC was hard on barrels using 4350 and Sierra 107s. I tried the 115s and could not get the velocity I wanted.

I then bought a CM barrel for my AIAW. Incredible accuracy, barrel life is outstanding, 243 brass is easy to find, H-1000 can be found. Right now finding 115s isnt easy.

The 6 Creedmore looks like a better mousetrap than the XC, but I am sticking with the CM.

3000 FPS in a semi auto is not fast enough for you? That is screaming out of a 22" barreled semi auto platform.
My GAP10 has never had an issue out to 1200 yards. :D

3000 fps is certainly awesome. What load are you using? Copper Creek publishes their 140gr Amax at 2740 out of 22" barrel so that's the assumption I'm going by on 6.5CM and the 140gr pills.

My 6XC shoots the BN 115s around 3200, give or take. I'll let you know what the sweet spot is for the 105gr Hybrids when the 6 Creed upper shows up.

As an aside, these are great problems to have, and I don't think a person can go wrong with any of these cartridges.

3000 fps is certainly awesome. What load are you using? Copper Creek publishes their 140gr Amax at 2740 out of 22" barrel so that's the assumption I'm going by on 6.5CM and the 140gr pills.

My 6XC shoots the BN 115s around 3200, give or take. I'll let you know what the sweet spot is for the 105gr Hybrids when the 6 Creed upper shows up.

As an aside, these are great problems to have, and I don't think a person can go wrong with any of these cartridges.

If your pushing 115s in a 6xc 3200 fps please be carefull. It's a bomb waiting to go off.

Respectfully

I started the first above thread 5-6 months ago...and i got my answer of which to choose bet the two...last saturday she finaly done!
And its.......CREEDMOOOOOOOOR! :)
Bjay6creedmoor002_zps0b3158fd.jpg

If your pushing 115s in a 6xc 3200 fps please be carefull. It's a bomb waiting to go off.

Respectfully

The BN coating helps bring the pressures down, and it's a long barrel. I wouldn't go this fast with naked DTACs. There's not even pressure signs on the brass or a sticky bolt lift. Crazy, right?

Im running the Copper Creek 105gr Berger Hybrid loads. They are 3000fps out of my GAP10. I get 3190 fps in my bolt guns with his tailored loads. (powder charges are different as well as OAL)
I shoot 140's and 130's out of my 6.5 Creedmoor and it stays around 2850-2950 depending on bullet and powder used.

They are good problems to have, I love the speed and consistency.

The BN coating helps bring the pressures down, and it's a long barrel. I wouldn't go this fast with naked DTACs. There's not even pressure signs on the brass or a sticky bolt lift. Crazy, right?

The BN coating does help, a tiny bit. I don't think it does all that its advertised. And as soon as you clean your barrel you lose that protective coating that you work up to. For the price of the service I would opt out of the coating. That's just me though.
Your mileage may vary.

Im running the Copper Creek 105gr Berger Hybrid loads. They are 3000fps out of my GAP10. I get 3190 fps in my bolt guns with his tailored loads. (powder charges are different as well as OAL)
I shoot 140's and 130's out of my 6.5 Creedmoor and it stays around 2850-2950 depending on bullet and powder used.

They are good problems to have, I love the speed and consistency.

Josh makes some fantastic ammo, doesn't he? He's squaring away my 7mm/300WM right now for 180gr Hybrids. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get similar speeds out of my handloads with the 6 Creed upper when it comes in. Time will tell. Still, I'm impressed by the 6mm. I wish I'd switched sooner, but I do believe there's value in learning the 308 dopes backwards and forwards.

Austin,

I think your decision should be between the 6mm Super LR vs the 6mm Creedmoor.

Super LR

I am in the same boat. I have 400 pieces of new 6mm Creedmoor, plus I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm Creedmoor, but I think the 6mm Super LR is a better cartridge for these reasons.

30 Degree shoulder with longer neck than 6mm Creedmoor (not by much)
You can use any brass that a .243 uses, Winchester, Remington, Lapua and others. I'm planning on the Winchester brass because its harder, thinner and easy to find.
Slightly more case capacity than the 6mm Creedmoor
243 cases still yield good accuracy during the fire forming process and can be run in competition or practice with good results.
105's can be pushed up to 3200 FPS range and possibly higher with out real serious pressure, cant say about barrel life yet.
Still fits in a magazine just fine, especially an AW magazine.

I have a great reamer and some nice Bartlein Rem Varmint barrels waiting for you!!!!

Mark

Austin,

Super LR

I am in the same boat. I have 400 pieces of new 6mm Creedmoor, plus I shoot a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm Creedmoor, but I think the 6mm Super LR is a better cartridge for these reasons.

You can use any brass that a .243 uses, Winchester, Remington, Lapua and others. I'm planning on the Winchester brass because its harder, thinner and easy to find.
243 cases still yield good accuracy during the fire forming process and can be run in competition or practice with good results.
105's can be pushed up to 3200 FPS range and possibly higher with out real serious pressure, cant say about barrel life yet.

I have a great reamer and some nice Bartlein Rem Varmint barrels waiting for you!!!!

Mark

So on that info will you separate your match ammo from range ammo? Most if not all matches cap your speed at 3200 fps. Running it on that threshold would be really bad if they chrono you and your deviation puts you 10-15 fps over that.
The nice thing about the 6mm Creedmoor based on what you said is….. no fire forming loads to fire and the performance threshold for accuracy is around the 3180 mark. Even with the worst of deviation you probably won't hit that 3200 fps limit.

Not knocking other calibers but if we are going to put it on the table, here are the facts! This is all from personal experience as well. And in full disclosure Mark barreled my 6XC project. Shot great but it was a pain in the ass to find components for. And that was before the ammo crisis!

I like the XC better. I've chambered barrels for both calibers and have just had great success with the XC. The brass may be difficult to find at times, but but up 300-500 and you'll be set for a long time. The XC brass I have on hand seems to be quite a bit higher quality than the 6 Creedmoor brass I've used. With that said it's splitting hairs between the two.

It works great for me :D CM is a good round tho

In performance, it smokes most calibers! Its efficiency with components is insane. On another note… I like and respect Hornady for the fact they were willing to take on the brass project when no one else was that high on it. They took a chance and are willing to work with the shooters to make their company that much better.

Not many other companies can say they do that.

In performance, it smokes most calibers! Its efficiency with components is insane. On another note… I like and respect Hornady for the fact they were willing to take on the brass project when no one else was that high on it. They took a chance and are willing to work with the shooters to make their company that much better.

Not many other companies can say they do that.

I think we all get the point that you like the CM family of cartridges, from this and other threads lol

I think we all get the point that you like the CM family of cartridges, from this and other threads lol

I see a career in Police work for you.

On another note:

How versatile is the 6XC in forming other calibers?
Can other common brass be bought and formed into 6XC by the owner?

Questions one should consider before diving into a caliber that has hard to find brass. I got into shooting the 6Crusader and it has the most annoying brass to locate of them all "6mm Remington". That's like finding unicorn shit out in the woods.

On another note:

Questions one should consider before diving into a caliber that has hard to find brass. I got into shooting the 6Crusader and it has the most annoying brass to locate of them all "6mm Remington". That's like finding unicorn shit out in the woods.

22-250 will make 6xc brass, thats where it originated

On another note:

22-250, surely you knew that?

Austin,

Super LR

Mark

6SLR would be my suggestion as well - if you already have 6BR dies it is really no-brainer.
I just finished mine and took it out this Saturday and shot high master 600 yard F-Class in 10-20mph switch wind.
The load was 37.5 4064 behind 105 Nosler Match (pointed) - 3200 FPS from 28" barrel with no signs of pressure.
Brass is easy, no need to mod mags, etc etc - just a very logical simple improvement of 243.

On another note:

again, we all get the point that your in love with the CM cartridge. Are you getting kick backs for pushing it?? your sounding like a used car salesman or some religious type trying to ram there beliefs down everybody's throat. You have made your point, theres no need to shit on anybody that says other than CM

I was posing some questions in general with 6XC that could translate to any other crazy 6mm caliber. 6SLR, 6CM, 6creedmoor, 6crusader, 243, 6 Dasher, etc. Take your pick because they all started as something else.

When you get into these niche rounds, you better have a backup plan for components. I owned a 6XC, I knew how to get the brass back then. What if 22-250 becomes hard to find? Just saying, having a plan never hurts.

I have a new 6mm caliber planned for March time frame. It will be pretty interesting to shoot….. more on that when it's in hand.

again, we all get the point that your in love with the CM cartridge. Are you getting kick backs for pushing it?? your sounding like a used car salesman or some religious type trying to ram there beliefs down everybody's throat. You have made your point, theres no need to shit on anybody that says other than CM

Calm down dude. Im stating facts of why a certain caliber works the way it works. People ask a question, we all jump in and answer it. Just because Hornady pissed in your cheerios doesn't mean you need to stroke out when someone suggests they are a more viable option several times over….. even as different calibers are introduced. Ask your boss about the 7mm Creedmoor he shoots, and who built the one right after his.

Calm down dude. Im stating facts of why a certain caliber works the way it works. People ask a question, we all jump in and answer it. Just because Hornady pissed in your cheerios doesn't mean you need to stroke out when someone suggests they are a more viable option several times over….. even as different calibers are introduced. Ask your boss about the 7mm Creedmoor he shoots, and who built the one right after his.

I think your stroking out because some people piss in your love affair with Hornady. You state plenty of facts and opinions on the subject. I stated my fact and opinion and you try and be little it like your some shooting god that knows and sees all. Give me a break

I think your stroking out because some people piss in your love affair with Hornady. You state plenty of facts and opinions on the subject. I stated my fact and opinion and you try and be little it like your some shooting god that knows and sees all. Give me a break

I shoot a lot more then just Hornady. I just back their product because they seem to give a damn about the shooters. I belittled no ones fact or opinion. I gave you a counter answer and it apparently rubbed you the wrong way.

Thers no denying Creedmoor cartridges have taken off. Ilove the 6.5 Creed and while the 6 Creed can do stuff a little better, I still love the 6.5 Creed. I'm not a good enough shooter or competitor to be sponsered or pay for barrels with the 6 Creed but I love the round.

Creedmoors are getting the attention and are getting the brass and components so I would stick with it. It may not be the super cool new thing but it does the same as the 6XC and better component availiability so its a no braininer for me. KYS pushes the Creedmoor stuff because it works and has the backing, he only stated facts and wasn't trying to "sell" anything. NO ONE has to sell the 6 Creed, take a look at top winners of the competitions lately :)

Thers no denying Creedmoor cartridges have taken off. Ilove the 6.5 Creed and while the 6 Creed can do stuff a little better, I still love the 6.5 Creed. I'm not a good enough shooter or competitor to be sponsered or pay for barrels with the 6 Creed but I love the round.

Creedmoors are getting the attention and are getting the brass and components so I would stick with it. It may not be the super cool new thing but it does the same as the 6XC and better component availiability so its a no braininer for me. KYS pushes the Creedmoor stuff because it works and has the backing, he only stated facts and wasn't trying to "sell" anything. NO ONE has to sell the 6 Creed, take a look at top winners of the competitions lately :)

Thank you, Pusher591! Glad someone else sees it that way. :cool: I knew I wasn't the only one.

That's the same reasoning I choose 6SLR - you ain't going to run out of 308/243 brass, you don't need to fireform, you get BR-style neck and shoulder .....

Mark Gordon just said it needed to be fire formed…. so which is it?

No fireforming with the 6SLR., on paper at least. But when you think about it, all brass is "fireformed" to a particular chamber.

Super LR

Why do you care? It's not soaked in GAP juice so you shouldn't be interested.

Never hurts to learn something.

You really don't like the fact that I support GAP do you? What's sad, for you, is that I have rifles from other builders. Like Mark @ SAC…. And Black Ops, Spartan……

No fireforming with the 6SLR., on paper at least. But when you think about it, all brass is "fireformed" to a particular chamber.

Super LR

Very True. Good link for info. Seems to be another good 6mm cartridge. You really can't go wrong with anything 6mm or 6.5!

I could give a shit less who you support. Me, like many others, are just sick of your constant insinuations that anything GAP or GAP associated is so superior over others. Yes, a couple of years ago we all knew you had rifles from multiple builders, but since you began suckling from the GAP tit, you don't seem to give much praise to any of them.

By all means.....carry on and name drop all you want.