• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6dasher barrel life

7mMike

Heavy Hauler
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2017
Nh/Vt
Ok, my tl3 is at spartan precision rifle’s and I wanna do a 6br or dasher. I have no experience with either of these calibers. So I guess I was looking for some real world info on how long your dashers have gone before they are shot out.

thanks

Barrels are like tires. You buy them when you need them.

Furthermore, these discussions are especially pointless because how long a barrel lasts is solely dependent on how you run it. What load you decide on, how you shoot it, maintenance regimens, etc.

You are going to get 30 different answers from 30 people but between 1000-4000 rounds is a pretty safe bet.

Yes, reading this forum and other's I’ve seen numbers like set the barrel back at 500 and got 3k plus out of mine... lol

I have one with 1600 rounds on it, wanted to have it rechambered in 6 Creedmoor but both of the Smith's I talked with said don't waist your money. I'm just gonna rebarrel.

Reactions: shoot4fun
I have one with 1600 rounds on it, wanted to have it rechambered in 6 Creedmoor but both of the Smith's I talked with said don't waist your money. I'm just gonna rebarrel.
Thanks, I was thinking they would be somewhere in the 2k range. But like stated above the numbers seem like they very.

If your this guy, not long. Not long at all.

If you run at sane velocities around 2950 I think you could expect between 1800-2300 rounds of accurate barrel life depending on powder selection etc. the BR will get around 3000 at around 2900 in long barrels.

I know guys that have run dasher hot 3000ish+ and burned them in 1400-1500 rounds. Both cartridges are good choices. I ran a BR last year. BRA this year. If I was starting from scratch I’d seriously consider a dasher with alpha brass. If you plan to use lapua brass I’d go BR or BRA as there is no to extremely simple fireforming. The dasher is a little harder to fireform consistently

Attachments

• 2FB465E5-E52A-4F1B-A7BA-F4F0D195E8E2.png
    2FB465E5-E52A-4F1B-A7BA-F4F0D195E8E2.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 84
Reactions: Sheldon N
1000-1500 is safe. Maybe you can get 2000-2500 if you run it slow and slow
1,000 to 1500 is closer to what I get. Mostly, I use the Dasher for long-range BR but I do have a mag fed repeater for other type matches.
The gunsmith is 100% correct. At 1600 rounds you barrel is definitely not a good candidate for rechambering. I tried this exact thing on a Dasher barrel that had around 1,000 rounds. I only did it as an experiment, so to speak, but we learned so much from the experience. Although the chamber cleaned up (without cutting off the threads and complete rework) the barrel showed ***VERY EXCESSIVE*** pressures even when loads were taken down by 20%. Close examination revealed that what had been slight cracking, unseen to bore scope exam prior to chambering, had made the new throat rough and pressures went thru the roof.
BTW, we did go back and cut off about two inches and chamber again. The pressure problem went away. We only did it to satisfy our curiosity.