• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6dasher to 6GT

bentbolt308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Eastern iowa
if I have a less then half used 6 dasher barrel (I don’t have anything for dasher) but would like to switch to 6GT. I know some smiths would just ram the GT reamer in and clean up the dasher. If it cleans up the chamber, throat and erosion. Would I get life out of it like a brand new barrel or less since the barrel has been used some?

TIA

Setting back a barrel doesn't reset the barrel's life, just extends it. How much depends on how far up the throat erosion has progressed. If you simply rechamber, you probably won't be removing much if any of the worn throat. Setting back involves cutting off a portion of the breech end so when re-chambered, the new throat area has less wear. You'll lose a few inches of barrel length, but if that's not an issue - set it back, don't just re-chamber.

Reactions: bentbolt308
if I have a less then half used 6 dasher barrel (I don’t have anything for dasher) but would like to switch to 6GT. I know some smiths would just ram the GT reamer in and clean up the dasher. If it cleans up the chamber, throat and erosion. Would I get life out of it like a brand new barrel or less since the barrel has been used some?

TIA
How does the GT reamer compare to the Dasher? If the GT is longer from base to throat then you may be able clean up the eroded part of the lands without setting the barrel back. Either way doubtful you would get a full barrel life.

Last edited:
How does the GT reamer compare to the Dasher? If the GT is longer from base to throat then you may be able clean up the eroded part of the lands without setting the barrel back. Either way doubtful you would get a full barrel life.

George designed the case so it could clean up a dasher chamber.

Reactions: aauya and 260284
Right, but if the throat has extended .150” the GT chamber reamer alone isn’t going to help 100% . That’s why you may want to consider setting it back.

The end of the throat is ~0.200" farther down the bore than a standard dasher reamer.

TIA
I ran my 6 Creedmoor reamer in behind a Dasher in about the condition you have. Yes, it did clean things up but things got really ugly in a hurry when I tried working up loads. Thing started blowing primers way below max charges; severe pressure problems to say the least. Cut off the tenon and did it all again. Cleared all that poop up. So, it isn't necessarily a drop kick to make good things happen by merely cleaning it up.

I could but I know people have had feeding problems and had to make your own brass. I know alpha makes brass now. I hate to modify a mag to make it feed.

I could but I know people have had feeding problems and had to make your own brass. I know alpha makes brass now. I hate to modify a mag to make it feed.

Might grab a few pieces of brass to try it. I'm running standard AI mags with mine and it feeds perfectly. Literally zero misfeeds over 1000 rounds of dry and live fire so far. The straight BR was another story.

I watched a video on YouTube where George discusses the concept and design of 6 Gay Tiger.
Honestly his explanation made perfect sense.

Makes sense.

Only Ive never actually seen someone have issues feeding it in a comp. I got a 30 buck mag kit from pvabefore I even had my dasher barrel spun onto the action just a proactive measure and because I cant not spend money on the internet but I havent had one issue feeding or ejecting it in my bighorn. My cousin uses a mag with no kit but he spread the front feed lips a hundredth or so before he even stuck it in the rifle and has had no issues in his impact.

If I were coming into it fresh the gt makes good sense but Im already invested in dasher so Im not convinced I need to change because all of the so called issues have never been an issue for me yet.

Last edited:

Makes sense.

Only Ive never actually seen someone have issues feeding it in a comp. I got a 30 buck mag kit from pvabefore I even had my dasher barrel spun onto the action just a proactive measure and because I cant not spend money on the internet but I havent had one issue feeding or ejecting it in my bighorn. My cousin uses a mag with no kit but he spread the front feed lips a hundredth or so before he even stuck it in the rifle and has had no issues in his impact.

If I were coming into it fresh the gt makes good sense but Im already invested in dasher so Im not convinced I need to change because all of the so called issues have never been an issue for me yet.

Just the popularity of dasher tells me feeding problems are not super common.

6GT just takes the no brainer approach.

Reactions: spife7980
I know the dasher can be set up to feed fine. Some people have no trouble ever and some have to use mag kits and rework mag lips. And now the brass is more avalible now.

I’ve never seen dasher feed issues but I’ll say my 6bra fought me tooth and nail. Magpul mags worked until they didn’t I even changed actions Mpa mags at 80$+ a piece fixed my issues finally. I’ll go 6gt but I’m doing it in a whole new rifle. I’m currently trying to decide on an action, I have a Mickey a6 prs and a proof comp 4groove and spartan bottom metal. Just don’t know if I should spring for an impact or go with a bighorn origin or defiance tenacity.

I’ve never seen dasher feed issues but I’ll say my 6bra fought me tooth and nail. Magpul mags worked until they didn’t I even changed actions Mpa mags at 80$+ a piece fixed my issues finally. I’ll go 6gt but I’m doing it in a whole new rifle. I’m currently trying to decide on an action, I have a Mickey a6 prs and a proof comp 4groove and spartan bottom metal. Just don’t know if I should spring for an impact or go with a bighorn origin or defiance tenacity.
You will never regret owning the best of something.

Unless something betterer comes out and you see people selling what you had at lower prices.

You’re right, but 30% over the cost is kinda a big deal. That’s enough projectiles to shoot out a 6mm barrel

I spend roughly $1000 every 2-day PRS match, and Ill have shot 6 this year. Throw in a couple hundred bucks per local match. The wife is coming to the finale, and with plane tickets, hotel, food, etc I expect I'm out $1500+. Over even just one year of shooting, minus the cost of the rifle, I bet i'm in $10k. It makes no sense to me to cut a $1000 corner on a rifle that will cost you $10k a season shooting it.

It doesn't take much serious competition shooting before the rifle becomes the cheap part, and you realize you should buy what you want within reason.
Yea I’m not dropping $1k on a weekend of shooting to use a rifle that works “ok”.

Yea I’m not dropping $1k on a weekend of shooting to use a rifle that works “ok”.
I’m a hobbiest that truly my enjoys the science and jewelry factor of lr shooting. I work weekends and competition doesn’t fit with my work schedule. For me I love the assembly of parts to make the rifle, the tweaking of loads hell even neck turning I like that too. I’m not as invested as you are when it comes to pure money. I only shoot 4-700 rounds a month out of a boltgun. But it’s still very fun for me.

Reactions: lte82