• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6GT Brass Manufacturers and Powder Supply

Gaytigertango

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2019
I have looked through several forums and cannot get a straight answer. I have a 6GT Barrel that was spun up by GA Precision. But I do not want to throw it on right now because, it seems like there is an extreme shortage of 6GT Brass and Hodgdon Varget. I am currently running a 6 Creed and have a ton of H4350 and Primers. I have read the 6GT Project thread as well and understand that the parent case is a 6.5x47L, and the case can be cut down to fit the GT. But to be 100% honest I am not doing that.

What are people doing that run a GT, are you running different powders (other than Varget)? Did you get lucky and gobble up all the 6GT brass from GA and Alpha? I love the numbers and consistency people are getting but again I do not see a point of spinning up a barrel when I only have 50 rds to shoot. Is thee any rumors of Lapua making 6GT brass anytime soon?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Reactions: inkballedtarget
The only brass I'm aware of is Alpha and Hornady. GA Precision has Hornady brass in stock most of the time. If not, it's usually a short wait
to restock. Some have had sketchy results with Alpha.
H4350 will work just fine in the GT, although I don't have any personal experience with it. I've gone away from using Varget and H4350 due to availability
issues in the past few years. Currently using RL16 and Berger 105 hybrids with outstanding results.
Personally, I think Varget may be a bit fast burning for the GT. I tried some initially, but hit pressure at low charge weights. Ran into the same problem
with Shooters World Precision Rifle.
I'll be ordering some VV N555 to try out in the upcoming weeks, but for now, I'll be sticking with RL16.
I don't imagine we'll be seeing Lapua making 6GT brass anytime soon, if at all.

Thanks for the Info @kindabitey Yea, I have read people having several issues with Alpha. Which is why it would be nice if Lapua came out with some.

Reactions: kindabitey
You can run h4350 rl16 h4895 staball shooters world precision (allegedly a varget replacement). I would stuff it with h4350 or rl16 personally. Your less likely to deal with pressure spikes than varget

I was thinking running H4350 But a lot of people say it runs to hot. So why not just lower the charge?

I was thinking running H4350 But a lot of people say it runs to hot. So why not just lower the charge?
I havent run it but you should have the opposite issue and not be able to hit pressure or barely hit pressure by the time you run out of case capacity. This isnt a fast rule though im just guessing. Try the h4350 im betting it will work plenty well for you

I havent run it but you should have the opposite issue and not be able to hit pressure or barely hit pressure by the time you run out of case capacity. This isnt a fast rule though im just guessing. Try the h4350 im betting it will work plenty well for you

Thats what Ill do...... Now only issue is the lack of Brass lol

@kindabitey Yea I ordered 200 from them yesterday. Only concern is how many loads will I get from Hornady. Maybe 3-5X max. From what I am hearing. but thanks for the heads up

I'd be happy if I could get 5x, but I generally loose them before I get that far :cautious:

Reactions: camocorvette
That'e exactly what I've heard.... LOL which is why we need Lapua to start making some hahaha
I mean gets lost at a match. I don't spend as much time looking for a piece of brass that's $ .70 as I do for something that's $1.15 apiece. Over the course of
a year, it adds up.

Into my second barrel spun on before JC steel
6 + firings in Hornady brass ran the 109 and the 105s primarily 2950 speed , groups well out to 1k.

Ran this same load a JC steel and it rained all
Day Saturday , wet mags, wet chamber and no signs of pressure running h4350 and Hornady brass primers pockets are still solid .

Currently running the alpha brass and running 2960 with SD in the .2s and 3s And 105 hybrids seem to be more consistent to me .

Blue collar reloading had alpha brass and GA precision has Hornady, ran both can’t go wrong either way !

Good luck

Attachments

• 953ADFAB-DE40-49EC-B651-F433F0BCFBA8.png
    953ADFAB-DE40-49EC-B651-F433F0BCFBA8.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 238
  • F121585F-C9B2-40E2-BE5A-4434F4915024.jpeg
    F121585F-C9B2-40E2-BE5A-4434F4915024.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 255
  • B9E4C044-D47B-4211-B14C-8186106E8BE3.jpeg
    B9E4C044-D47B-4211-B14C-8186106E8BE3.jpeg
    556.6 KB · Views: 224
Into my second barrel spun on before JC steel
6 + firings in Hornady brass ran the 109 and the 105s primarily 2950 speed , groups well out to 1k.

Ran this same load a JC steel and it rained all
Day Saturday , wet mags, wet chamber and no signs of pressure running h4350 and Hornady brass primers pockets are still solid .

Currently running the alpha brass and running 2960 with SD in the .2s and 3s And 105 hybrids seem to be more consistent to me .

Blue collar reloading had alpha brass and GA precision has Hornady, ran both can’t go wrong either way !

Good luck
Thanks so much this is the exact information i was looking for. I’m looking forward to testing mine out.

Has anyone besides myself had problems with the Hornady brass it seems like every time I buy some(400 PCs) There are cases with split necks or crushed shoulders sometimes one sometimes three or four per hundred. got 200 pieces of brass from GA Percision 100 from Swannies and 100 from Midsouth shooters all had pieces that were bad.

Has anyone besides myself had problems with the Hornady brass it seems like every time I buy some(400 PCs) There are cases with split necks or crushed shoulders sometimes one sometimes three or four per hundred. got 200 pieces of brass from GA Percision 100 from Swannies and 100 from Midsouth shooters all had pieces that were bad.

Damn thats no good.....I have always thought the hornady stuff was solid

saw a post from GA a few days ago that they had 6000pcs of GT hornady brass and more was coming at end of the month. i picked up 300 pcs from swannys last month went thru all, weight sorted and inspected. only one with a split mouth. have not shot any yet.

Reactions: Gaytigertango
I had that with mine. But, out of the last 500 pc
order, I had to throw out 4, lost 8, sent 10 off for someone to test sizing dies, and have 508
pcs remaining. GA sends extra, so I don't consider it a big deal.

Reactions: tob5
H4350 and RL16 both work well with the 108gn to 110gn projectiles.

RL16 has been my go-to with 110 A-Tips, CCI 450 primers and Hornday brass. Very temp stable and velocities around 2975fps from a 25" barrel.

It took them a decade to adopt the creed... and they still dont make win mag

I wouldnt get my hopes up lol
I am pretty sure I do remember the time Lapua did offer 300 Win Mag brass. Maybe it was just some ammo with the Lapua head stamp?
Maybe they were waiting to see if that Creedmoor thing was gonna catch on? :):sneaky:

Hornady Brass.
Another data point.
I bought 800 piece for 3 rifles.
I keep reading about issues.
I grabbed 1 piece last night and tortue tested it. My load is 37 grains RE16 with 115 RDF.
I had 17 loads on it last night when I got tired of it and primer pockets were still good to go. It needed trimmed, and annealed, but no loose primers. It was softer to primer.. but it was still good.
Granted I have a very long throat, but I will stick with Hornady. It flat works...
YMMV..

Hornady Brass.
Another data point.
I grabbed 1 piece last night and tortue tested it. My load is 37 grains RE16 with 115 RDF.
I had 17 loads on it last night when I got tired of it and primer pockets were still good to go. It needed trimmed, and annealed, but no loose primers. It was softer to primer.. but it was still good.
Granted I have a very long throat, but I will stick with Hornady. It flat works...
YMMV..
Thanks, for the info I have 300 coming in.

This is how they look when I pull them out of the bag brand new
I except some to have some blemish hopefully that can be fixed with a mandrel die. These are toast. So hopefully they will send extras 🤞🏽

The first batch I bought had five extra in the bag that made up for the three bad ones but the other 300 I’ve Botton have not had extras

Which is why it would be nice if Lapua came out with some.
I've emailed ben preston, retail manager at Peterson Cartridge Company in the past asking them to make brass for the latest wonder cartridge; usually the reply has been quick and very forthright. A while back I asked about the 6GT and the answer was non-committal, so perhaps if Peterson CC gets enough 6GT inquiries that might see it as worthy of pursuing. I also recently asked them about jumping on the 6mm ARC bandwagon, but that one kinda took them by surprise.

Hornady Brass.
Another data point.
YMMV..