• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6mm 115 DTAC G7 BC?

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Anyone have a confirmed number for the G7 BC of the newer 115 DTAC's that are pointed? The G1 from Tubb's website is .588 and DOPE using this out to 1k has been bang on. But shooting past 1k it begins to not track as well. Is there a way to calculate a G7 from a G1 just using arithmetic?

-VB

G1 x .512=G7 That's pretty close but not exact. As a side note, if your shooting Boron coated I have found my number to be closer to .600.

G1 x .512=G7 That's pretty close but not exact. As a side note, if your shooting Boron coated I have found my number to be closer to .600.

Wow, yes I am shooting the BN coated ones. That's what I had been doing is multiplying by .512 which would put it at a G7 of .301 for a G1 of .588, but if it's closer to a .600 G1 that would put the G7 at .307!! Can it really be that high?

-VB

Take this for what it's worth. I use the Shooter Ballistic App and run .596 G1, I'm getting 3050 velocity from a .243 and I can count on the app out to 1250 yards (longest I've shot the .243). As a side note I have heard a rumor, and this is only a rumor, that Tubb wanted to go back to Sierra and re-test the bullet because he believes the bullet has a higher BC than what is stated. But like I said it is a rumor and I can't verify one way or the other.

Take this for what it's worth. I use the Shooter Ballistic App and run .596 G1, I'm getting 3050 velocity from a .243 and I can count on the app out to 1250 yards (longest I've shot the .243). As a side note I have heard a rumor, and this is only a rumor, that Tubb wanted to go back to Sierra and re-test the bullet because he believes the bullet has a higher BC than what is stated. But like I said it is a rumor and I can't verify one way or the other.

Thanks Raven! I'm running the Applied Ballistics on a Kestrel 4500 and was using .588 but was finding from about 800-1200 yds my shots were still a little high (about .1-.2 mils at times) I'm running the BN coated 115's DTAC's at 3025 out of a 6mm Competition Match. I will try a G1 of .596 and see if that trues things up from 800-1200 yds.

A .596 G1 would put the G7 at .305 which is still really high and getting damn close 6.5mm 140 Berger Hybrid (.317) territory. Awesome!

-VB

I used to use .295 G7 with the pointed DTACS.

I checked data on paper today at 600, 800 and 1000 yds. Five shot groups, .306 G7 was on the money for me down to a 1/10 of a mil. Don't know if the coated bullets and 5R rifling make a difference on the deformation of the bullet after it leaves the bore, but I started my testing today with a .301 G7 and I was still a little high at 800. G7 of .306 put me bang on at 800 and stayed true at 1k. Will test out to 1500 this weekend, but with G7's I've run in the past if your data is on at 800 and 1000 it's always stayed trued until the bullet gets close to the subsonic range. I would need to get close to 2k with this load to get it to go subsonic at my DA which I will probably never do, no interest for me.

Last edited:
I used to use .295 G7 with the pointed DTACS.

So you were right. I re-confirmed at a 1k yard paper match today. Had people in the pits pulling targets and putting in spotters etc... Was able to really dial in the elevation and the number I ended up with that was right on the money was a .296 G7. So I'd say we pretty much have that nailed down, and I'm shooting the pointed DTAC's as well.

- VB

So you were right. I re-confirmed at a 1k yard paper match today. Had people in the pits pulling targets and putting in spotters etc... Was able to really dial in the elevation and the number I ended up with that was right on the money was a .296 G7. So I'd say we pretty much have that nailed down, and I'm shooting the pointed DTAC's as well.

- VB

Glad I was of some help. I won a lot of matches with those bullets and had switched over to them after having to chase the throat with 115 Bergers because of their intolerance.

Then I switched over to the hybrids because the DTACS went dry. Did they become available again?