• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm .25 or 6.5

The Pilgrim

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2019
So was having a discussion with a friend (6.5 Creedmoor loon) about other PRS cartridges and I mentioned the 1/4 bore, which has some excellent BC bullets available now. My comment was met with why am I trying to reinvent the wheel the 25 is old hat.
So seeing as I know the 6mm is very popular as is the 6.5 on the PRS circuit but sitting between the two is the 25 cal with say the new Berger 135g Hybrid long range.

I’m on with a .257 build once my reamers turns up hopefully to prove a point…

Any thoughts….

Reactions: Modoc
My thoughts are that I wouldn't do one because it is an odd duck. Nothing wrong with being odd but if you built a 6.5CM, and one day wanted to sell it, finding a buyer will be much easier than with the 257.

That all said, build the gun for you and what you need it to do 😎

I think most PRS shooters are held back by poor fundamentals and body control (myself included). What they shoot doesn't mean as much as it would in a discipline that uses a lot of rifle support like benchrest or f-class.

If I had to build something right now, I would base the choice on barrel life (so I could practice a lot) and component availability.

That said, I think building something like a 25BR would be fun. :)

I think most PRS shooters are held back by poor fundamentals and body control (myself included). What they shoot doesn't mean as much as it would in a discipline that uses a lot of rifle support like benchrest or f-class.

If I had to build something right now, I would base the choice on barrel life (so I could practice a lot) and component availability.

That said, I think building something like a 25BR would be fun. :)
I’m with you on barrel life even though I fit my own. .308 would be my go to it’s served many well over the years but isn’t “fashionable” or has the “Guuci” accolade…
As for fitness, agree totally, see a lot of very heavy rifles and wonder why…yes stability is important but overly heavy I’d of thought has a negative impact.

My thoughts are that I wouldn't do one because it is an odd duck. Nothing wrong with being odd but if you built a 6.5CM, and one day wanted to sell it, finding a buyer will be much easier than with the 257.

That all said, build the gun for you and what you need it to do 😎

If selling a gun is ever a reason to not do something, quit sitting here and get to shooting. You've obviously forgot what it's like!

The 131 blackjacks are laser beams out of my 25-06. I fully support all .257 builds. It's been ignored long enough!

I'll get around to a 25 Creed one of these days, as I'm sure the 25-06 should be done shortly after eating a few lbs of retumbo.

If selling a gun is ever a reason to not do something, quit sitting here and get to shooting. You've obviously forgot what it's like!

The 131 blackjacks are laser beams out of my 25-06. I fully support all .257 builds. It's been ignored long enough!

I'll get around to a 25 Creed one of these days, as I'm sure the 25-06 should be done shortly after eating a few lbs of retumbo.
Don't worry, I own a few wildcats and non-mainstream calibers. My post was only giving a reason that 6.5CM might be a better option because of popularity.

I like mine pretty well. Im well stocked with Blackjack bullets and peterson lrp brass. Easy as anything to load for. Ive had a number of 6 and 6.5 cm’s, i figured i’d do something different. Some of the velocities i see guys posting are ridiculous. Mine is right at home at 2915 fps. 41 grains h4350 in a 26” Bartlein. I dont do any prs, but its a noticeable performance increase over the 6/6.5.
1961DAB2-5FFE-4317-A3D7-AC2FACC2D283.jpeg

Last edited:
I built my first PRS gun this year. I ended going 6.5 Creed as it was the option that I could get quality components for at the time. I have thought about changing but not sure it is worth the cost. Being at matches and hearing everyone talk about changing barrels at 1800-2000 rounds on the 6's is interesting. I agree a barrel is something to be used and replaced but seems that it could get expensive depending on how many matches to shoot. I like the idea of the 25 but being tied to 2 bullets at the moment makes me stay away from it. If and when things normalize for components, I can see myself looking hard at moving to a 25 Creed.

Reactions: The Pilgrim
don't know what 6 cm nor 25 creedmoor barrel life's are like , but we hit 7000 rounds with 6.5 creed and while 100 yard groups have opened up a bit still nicely under an inch I never was a one hole 5 shot shooter so it's not that bad , it still hits 10 out of 10 shots on a 3'' target at 600 which suits me fine till I can get the new barrel put on till then I'll keep shooting it . Have to wonder if it was a fluke or could the next barrel maybe have more life in it . stayed in or around the 2680's to 2774 fps range with factory 140 ammo , and now with reloads mostly staying around that range with only a few loads hitting the 2880's so nothing was screaming downrange maybe that helped it have a longer than normal life .best of luck to you which ever round you decide to go with I am sure they are all a great round . ok to add 7250 was it's limit went from something was off about it to dead horrible .

Last edited:
I'm doing a 25 creed, 24" proof cf for field matches. When I say field matches, I mean actual field matches, not here's another barricade to throw a gamechanger on field match. Find, range, engage matches. I feel like the 25 fits in really well in these matches where ranges and wind calls are made on the fly. Enough velocity for small elevation errors, and crazy good bc to fight the wind on field expedient wind calls.

I used 25 creed for a year then switched to 6BR. the 6BR was a dramatic improvement in seeing hits and misses. My 25 creed ran at 3000 fps with 42.6 reloader 16. I see myself using the 25 creed for hunter matches and windy long conditions and 6BR for the majority of shorter matches. Love both.

Reactions: Modoc