• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6mm AR Turbo

Re: 6mm AR Turbo

There are several 6mm AR shooters over on 65grendel.com. I've heard good things, but no personal experiece. There is also the 6mm RAT which is very similar in performance and both use the Grendel brass.

Had one for a while, and it was a good shooter that did a number on pigs with 105 grain A-max. After working up a load, it would shoot 5 a-max's into .5"-.7" regularly at 100 (depending on me). I sold it to 6mmFan here on the hide, as I decided that I want something with a shorter barrel. Robert recommends at least a 24" barrel to get the velocity gain from the cartridge (mine was a 24" + 8" suppressor).

6mmFan competed with it last week in Vegas with it I believe.

PM/ or better yet email I.D.F.A here. He had one and did quite well with it. Also Steve123 has one as well but I do not know him.

Have been running a 6 RAT for a while now, think it has around 500 rounds on it, log book isn't handy. Very easy to find a good load, mine likes 105 A-max the best, but shoots 87 gr. V-max almost as well. Pushes 105 class bullets in 2800 fps area and the 87 gr. @ 3000 (22" 1 in 7.5 twist barrel). Fireforming the case is simple and very accurate. I don't feel like I'm wasting anything when fireforming cause they work fine for practice and varmints.
No matter which 6 mm you choose, it will become one of your favorite rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any solid experience wity this round? Won a lower and exploring options. </div></div>

I have the 6mmAR Turbo with the 40 degree shoulder.It's a great round.It sends 105 Amax at 2907 ave out of a 26" krieger and it's very accurate.

I had two problems though.

1. The gunsmith that put the upper together didn't screw the barrel nut on tight enough and gradually over time the barrel nut unscrewed.The gun worked perfectly the first 500 rounds.Suddenly it was shooting like shit,so I switched to different bullets and it grouped better but not as good as before,then POI changes,I had to sight it in before every outing.I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.Scope...nope,rings...nope,reloads...nope,Steve??? sometimes
smile.gif
.Finally I read where some guy here on the Hide was having similar problems.He discovered that his barrel nut had come loose.So I went out to the shop,pulled the 6mmART upper out of the safe and with hand pressure cracked the barrel loose
mad.gif
At least I had discovered the problem!What a hassle! I wasted probably 400-500 rounds trying to trouble shoot.

The other problem was the gas port block had moved during this whole episode and even though I realigned it,the gun wasn't getting enough gas.So I enlarged the hole in the gas block one drill bit size larger and beveled the gas hole in the barrel a little with a mill/lathe center drill.

Now the gun worked great and shoots great again.

Anyways
wink.gif
.If you compare the 6mmART40 next to my 6x47L bolt gun the wind drift is very close out to 600Y.If you shoot it next to 223 with 75's the difference in wind drift is stark.The 223 has about twice the wind drift.If it's windy out I can hardly hit my 15" plate at 600Y with the 223 but I can pound away with the 6mmART40 no problem.

Hi - I bought a 6mmAR Turbo 40 from Superde. I have only had a chance to shoot one ladder test and shoot it in one tac match. I did the ladder test using 105 AMAX bullets over different charges of H4895 with CCI mag primers. I was shooting at 200 yards with a 8x scope off a bipod and rear bag. I used a spotting scope to see each individual impact.

I fired from 28.0 grains to 29.9 grains at .1 grain intervals. From charge number 28.5 to 29.9 total group size was 1.3". Vertical of this group was only .75" My charge of 28.7 was a flyer. Without this flyer total group size was .75 with a vertical of only .28" for 4 shots. Bear in mind that this was at 200 yards with a 8x Leupold.

At the match the rifle did well but I lost quite a few points due to my own foolishness. I used 29.8 grains H4895 at the match. I believe that I am only getting 2800-2815 fps with this load but the rifle only has a 24" barrel.

Good luck.

One other thing I liked about my Turbo at the match is that it threw the brass onto my neighbors mat right under his rifle forearm. The brass also comes out much less beat up than what I have experienced before with AR rifles.

Early adopters are by definition a small group. Lots of people scared off by fireforming brass, unknowns with powder charges, bullet choice. They are also ignorant of the rewards of a superior round. Enjoy your edge while you have it!

I don't think it would work well with 115 bullets because to be at magazine length the bullet would be too far into the case , thereby taking away powder keg room, but you can ask Steve. If anyone has tried it I guarantee it would be him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone ever run bullets heaver than the 105-107 stuff. </div></div>

Yes I did Jon and 6mmFan is right.

I tried 115DTACS with AA2520.I couldn't get them up to 2750fps when I did a ladder test.The best accuracy and pressure velocity out of my 26" tube was 2675fps.Still pretty darn good though. .54 BC at nearly 2700fps is nothing to snicker at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. The gunsmith that put the upper together didn't screw the barrel nut on tight enough and gradually over time the barrel nut unscrewed.The gun worked perfectly the first 500 rounds.Suddenly it was shooting like shit,so I switched to different bullets and it grouped better but not as good as before,then POI changes,I had to sight it in before every outing.I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.Scope...nope,rings...nope,reloads...nope,Steve??? sometimes
smile.gif
.Finally I read where some guy here on the Hide was having similar problems.He discovered that his barrel nut had come loose.So I went out to the shop,pulled the 6mmART upper out of the safe and with hand pressure cracked the barrel loose
mad.gif
At least I had discovered the problem!What a hassle! I wasted probably 400-500 rounds trying to trouble shoot.</div></div>
Pretty piss poor job, I'd say.
I guess the "smith" are the main guys behind the 6mmAR round, isn't it?
Since I wanted to go 6mmAR pretty soon, maybe it is better I get a barrel chambered with 6mmAR, BCG, and assemble by myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. The gunsmith that put the upper together didn't screw the barrel nut on tight enough and gradually over time the barrel nut unscrewed.The gun worked perfectly the first 500 rounds.Suddenly it was shooting like shit,so I switched to different bullets and it grouped better but not as good as before,then POI changes,I had to sight it in before every outing.I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong.Scope...nope,rings...nope,reloads...nope,Steve??? sometimes
smile.gif
mad.gif
At least I had discovered the problem!What a hassle! I wasted probably 400-500 rounds trying to trouble shoot.</div></div>
Pretty piss poor job, I'd say.
I guess the "smith" are the main guys behind the 6mmAR round, isn't it?
Since I wanted to go 6mmAR pretty soon, maybe it is better I get a barrel chambered with 6mmAR, BCG, and assemble by myself.
</div></div>

I was pretty miffed.The guy that Robert used to build it should have at least used some loctite.I haven't called Robert to complain yet but I'm going to before replacement time comes.
I'm considering having my own reamer made to avoid the huge jump the bullet has to make when seated to mag length.

Steve

The "guy", unless changed, should be Fred @ Sabreco, which kinda surprised me since he is not typically known for hack jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I wanted to go 6mmAR pretty soon, maybe it is better I get a barrel chambered with 6mmAR, BCG, and assemble by myself.</div></div>

I would go with John Hollinger, You can get barrels and bolts from him. He chambers for 6mm Grendel, 6Rat (6mm Grendel Imp.) I have used John for years, he is as good as it gets!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krebaum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I wanted to go 6mmAR pretty soon, maybe it is better I get a barrel chambered with 6mmAR, BCG, and assemble by myself.</div></div>

I would go with John Hollinger, You can get barrels and bolts from him. He chambers for 6mm Grendel, 6Rat (6mm Grendel Imp.) I have used John for years, he is as good as it gets! </div></div>
You did not mention 6mmAR in your list, which was the one I was aiming to.

He has a 6mm Grendel that is basically the same thing. You need to look at the 6Rat (6RAT is a 6mm Grendel with the case blown forward approximately .075 with a 40 degree shoulder). More case capacity and velocity. I have had one for about a year now and love it.

I'd prefer to stay out of fire forming cases, if possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krebaum</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since I wanted to go 6mmAR pretty soon, maybe it is better I get a barrel chambered with 6mmAR, BCG, and assemble by myself.</div></div>

I would go with John Hollinger, You can get barrels and bolts from him. He chambers for 6mm Grendel, 6Rat (6mm Grendel Imp.) I have used John for years, he is as good as it gets! </div></div>
John does not chamber 6mm Grendel BTW. Just asked.

Fireforming for the 6RAT is easy as it gets, and if loaded with say an 87 gr. V-max @ 2800 fps a very accurate load that can be used for practice, varmints, Krebaum even shot them in a match. I got the barrel and bolt from John and assembled the upper myself, runs great.

Interesting to read this thread on our Turbo 40 uppers and cartridge. It is somewhat surprising to see postings relating to a problems with one of our uppers, while realizing we were never contacted about it, nor were we permitted an opportunity to resolve any issues (which we would typically do without charge because we stand behind what we make and sell). We have hundreds of these 6mm uppers out there and yes we have had a few that needed later service work (and more than once a problem arose because of something the customer did with their upper that they should not have) but whenever a customer has called and reported an issue we have always immediately worked to resolve that a.s.a.p. If you build enough uppers, once in a while one will have something that needs to be addressed, and none of the makers of AR uppers are immune from that, despite the best assembly, quality control, inspection and test firing methods. The real question is have you purchased from a company that stands behind what they make and sell and will make good on it. We can only address an issue if someone reports it to us.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

Could he even buy it from someone besides you?
I've been told you made the 6mmAR and 6mmAR Turbo proprietary, which would prevent anyone else besides you to deliver them.
Which is reason why WOA does not offer 6mmAR (and Turbo) barrels/uppers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rcw3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting to read this thread on our Turbo 40 uppers and cartridge. It is somewhat surprising to see postings relating to a problems with one of our uppers, while realizing we were never contacted about it, nor were we permitted an opportunity to resolve any issues (which we would typically do without charge because we stand behind what we make and sell). We have hundreds of these 6mm uppers out there and yes we have had a few that needed later service work (and more than once a problem arose because of something the customer did with their upper that they should not have) but whenever a customer has called and reported an issue we have always immediately worked to resolve that a.s.a.p. If you build enough uppers, once in a while one will have something that needs to be addressed, and none of the makers of AR uppers are immune from that, despite the best assembly, quality control, inspection and test firing methods. The real question is have you purchased from a company that stands behind what they make and sell and will make good on it. We can only address an issue if someone reports it to us.

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

</div></div>

Hi Robert,

I only figured these problems out a couple months ago but the "process" of finding out what the problems were took 6 months or so.The "last" thing I thought the problem was,was the barrel nut coming loose or a problem with the upper in particular.At first I thought it was the 105JLK VLD's and the throat wearing forward causing the inaccuracy because the gun shot those incredibly well from day one till 500-600 or so rounds later.Then I switched over to the 105Amax and it seemed to solve the problem temporarily.Once I discovered rouge POI shifts I started looking in the direction of scope and rings but after getting NF rings and trying a $2700 scope I resolved it wasn't them.I have a friend down in Phoenix who specializes in custom AR builds.It was much easier to have him tighten the barrel nut since I was going down there to shoot a match anyways.

The gun also started gradually jamming worse little by little too during this process compounding the confusion.I figured it wasn't getting enough gas so I looked at the gas block and sure enough it had started to rotate.I indexed the gas block 2-3 times but for some weird reason it still jammed occasionally and the BCG wouldn't lock back on the last round.Fixing that problem was just too easy for me to do so I didn't want to send it back and pay shipping for something that simple to fix.It took 5 minutes is all and the gun functions perfectly now.I probably should have sent the upper in as soon as I identified problems.

Honestly I hate sending things back to the manufacturer for repair.If I have any problems in the future I'll send the upper in to you.I'm going to need a new barrel in a year and I love the 6mmART40 cartridge so it'll be coming your way.I still think it's bar none the best cartridge out there for a long range AR.

I apologize also,I wasn't trying to come off like a back stabber but the whole ordeal was extremely frustrating and not without time and expense involved.I don't like calling people when I'm angry about something and prefer to simmer down a bit before I do.I know life isn't perfect and things happen.I don't blame you personally.Chalk this up to SH#T happens.Who would have known the barrel nut was coming loose?

Steve

I have heard a lot of good things about White Oak and recently had them build a 5.56 upper for me. I had continual problems with light primer strikes. After talking to John Hollinger on the phone he said he believed that I was having problems because I was using a single stage Timmeny trigger. Strange because the DPMS upper that I had been running cycled fine using this trigger. I am now using the Timmeny with a 6mmARTurbo upper that I bought from SuperDe and it works fine. I finally shipped the White Oak upper back to John on my dime and was told that they looked it over and nothing was wrong. They shipped it back to me without doing any work to it. I wasn't very pleased. When I got the upper back I went to work on the firing pin hole with some rubbing compound and replaced the firing pin with one .002" longer. The problem appears to be solved and the rifle shoots around .5 MOA.

I dont shoot at any of the boring NRA Highpower matches so I guess John never heard of me. He probably thought I was just another AK toting idiot.

The 6mmARTurbo upper is the first custom rifle for me in a long string that has actually performed as advertised. On Saturday while fireforming some ammo for the Turbo I pounded 5 into about 2” at 700 yards.

I was appalled at the thread where a shooter had many atrocious chambering problems and magazine problems with his 408 CheyTac. I have also poured a lot of money down the rabbit hole on poorly smithed rifles. From this point on I intend to give an accurate accounting of my experiences along with names.

Robert of ARX wanted to inspect my 6mmART40 upper for potential problems and offered to pay shipping both ways so I decided to send it off to him.

Steve

I'm glad that Turbo is working out for you 6mmFan!

Those are some fantastic groups you've been shooting.The cartridge behaves like a 6BR doesn't it.

Steve

Yes it does. I used to have a 6BR.

If it is a 6mm I will shoot it!
wink.gif

I am still pinching myself on the groups. I kinda believe that they are mostly luck- But 1/4" MOA at long range?? (700 to 900yd). Wow.

Like I say I will consider it luck until I do some more testing.

Hornady 105 AMAX over 28.9 grains H4895 using CCI small rifle magnum primer. 2800ish fps.

Also, When you get a Turbo you will quickly realize that there are some special concepts that Mr. Whitley has applied to this chamber and die combination that lends a lot to the accuracy. I could be wrong but I believe much of it has to do with the relationship of the neck/shoulder radius on the die to the same area in the chamber. You can also set up the seater to utilize the same concept to improve seating alignment. It sure is nice to be using Lapua brass again in a rifle/die combo that is set up properly.

Accuracy is apparently shown. Has anyone experienced problems with feed reliability for up to around 500 rds?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is apparently shown. Has anyone experienced problems with feed reliability for up to around 500 rds? </div></div>

I would be interested to hear about that one myself since no customers ever reported any such issues to me. I am also not aware of that being any sort of phenomenon with our uppers (i.e. at least I never saw it in the four test uppers that were built up and shot extensively magazine feed before we started selling uppers in the cartridge). I also test fire every upper we make (and there have been hundreds of them) and they get at least two magazines worth of 5 rounds each shot out of each upper before they go out the door and I never saw that to be an issue or they would not go out the door. The only things function related I have seen on test firing have been one incident where a gas key had not been tightened all the way down on the carrier and leaked enough gas so the upper short stroked (easy fix just tightened the screws down and re-staked them), and once in a while a bum extractor (which we swap out and throw the bum one away and re-test fire the upper to make sure it's running 100%).

The #1 and just about only function problem we see and hear about results from customer reloading error, and particularly that the person reloading does not resize the fired cases adequately. If you don't resize fired cases adequately you'll get a jam every time (i.e. case going in the chamber won't fit because it's too big - it's that simple). AR-15's extract under pressure and as a result fired cases can be bigger than the chamber so proper resizing is a must.

We have an info page on our website that helps shooters with these issues and it's at:
http://www.6mmar.com/Info_Page.html

Robert Whitley
www.6mmAR.com

I have a 6mm AR Turbo Impr. which now has a little over 300 rounds through it. No feed issues here.

6mmFan,

I shoot a 6mm AR Turbo 40 with 105 Amax over 28.7-H4895 w/CCI BR4 primer. You mention nice accuracy while fireforming...do you use your same 28.9-H4895 load to acheive this? If not, do you mind sharing?

Thanks!

Nick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is apparently shown. Has anyone experienced problems with feed reliability for up to around 500 rds? </div></div>

I have a 15 round clip that gives me some problems.The 10 round clips have been fine.

I think if Pmag would come out with some specific 6.5G high cap mags that they would be a major help for all these wildcat cases.

Diesel - I am using almost the same load- 6mm AR Turbo 40 with 105 Amax over 28.9-H4895 using a CCI magnum primer- at Steve's recommendation. I only have a 24" barrel so this is why I am only getting around 2800fps.

My fireforming load is a Berger 108gr BT over 28.0 grains of H4895 with a std Wolf primer. This just barely makes an ejector mark on my formed brass, as does the AMAX load. And this is what I am shooting for. I have been single loading when fireforming but I believe that this load would cycle fine as my bolt locks back every shot.

One strange thing when fireforming with the Bergers at a reduced charge, was that at 700 yards I was hitting fine using my 105 AMAX load dope. Perhaps I made an error calculating somewhere.

I haven't had any problems with cycling so far. I am just getting into this. The magazines do fit very tightly which I am not thrilled with.

Wow! This is the guy I want building my next rifle: Robert Whitley! A builder up at 5:05 am taking care of his business - wanting to know if anyone has problems. Good for you, Robert, and good for us shooters too. Soon as my tax refund gets here I'm in for a Turbo Imp.
Where else can you get all you need with one swipe of a card?

BTW, if you need a bolt gun, WRoscoe is the man around these parts, along with my other very good friend, Terry Cross.

I got my 6mmART40 upper back from Robert yesterday and mounted up my new Bushnell 3-12x44FFP on top. I took it out today and it was shooting fantastic,easy half moa.

There were zero malfunctions and the BCG locked back every time too.

Thanks Robert.

Robert ...Just so you know I did a write up about my upper last year.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1204384&page=1

Steve

I recently bought a upper from Robert in a .22AR and its been spectacular. 0 problems so far.

I would recommend him to anyone wanting a ultra accurate AR.

Jerid

Hi - I bought a 6mmAR Turbo 40 from Superde. I have only had a chance to shoot one ladder test and shoot it in one tac match. I did the ladder test using 105 AMAX bullets over different charges of H4895 with CCI mag primers. I was shooting at 200 yards with a 8x scope off a bipod and rear bag. I used a spotting scope to see each individual impact.

I fired from 28.0 grains to 29.9 grains at .1 grain intervals. From charge number 28.5 to 29.9 total group size was 1.3". Vertical of this group was only .75" My charge of 28.7 was a flyer. Without this flyer total group size was .75 with a vertical of only .28" for 4 shots. Bear in mind that this was at 200 yards with a 8x Leupold.

At the match the rifle did well but I lost quite a few points due to my own foolishness. I used 29.8 grains H4895 at the match. I believe that I am only getting 2800-2815 fps with this load but the rifle only has a 24" barrel.

Good luck.
I have tried repeatedly to get a response from Robert about purchasing dies for the 6mm AR turbo 40. Hornady said they would build them if I provide them drawings for clambering so not to go against the grain with Robert. Do you know anyone that can provide the needed drawing or can mail me a form fired brass at my expense, so I can get my barrel and reamers made to move forward ?

I have tried repeatedly to get a response from Robert about purchasing dies for the 6mm AR turbo 40. Hornady said they would build them if I provide them drawings for clambering so not to go against the grain with Robert. Do you know anyone that can provide the needed drawing or can mail me a form fired brass at my expense, so I can get my barrel and reamers made to move forward ?
Aren’t the 6mm ARC and the 6mm AR turbo essentially the same?