• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR or 6mm Dasher?

Jayhawkhuntclub

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2019
Looking at a new build on a 700 rem action. This will be a rifle I will shoot paper out to 300 yards and steel out to 1000+. Not expecting 0.1s or 0.2s consistently, but my 223 W will give me 0.5s consistently and I want something that is better than that. My plan is a 26" Remage Criterion bull. I'm leaning towards the 6mm BR. But I would like to hear what others think. I don't want to miss something.
Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^They're right, ya know!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've said, Dude A can hold the case, Dude B can throw powder at it, Dude C can jam a bullet in it and it'll shoot a 1 hole group. They are just stoooopid easy to load for.
I'm all about stoooopid easy!

Ya, that. The dasher is a little more zoom for a fair bit more headache. No accuracy benefit imo.

Reactions: A&8's
6brx. Dasher speed without dasher fireforming or costly brass.

Same 6br dies, just back them off. Fire form 6br brass.

If I my ask a follow up on this thread. 6BR vs 6PPC for a 100-600 yard gun (potentially further in the future).

If I my ask a follow up on this thread. 6BR vs 6PPC for a 100-600 yard gun (potentially further in the future).
My shooting coach growing up shot a 6 PPC in benchrest. He had the state record in Michigan for a while. I've never really seen it mentioned in the PRS side though.

Reactions: AManWearingAHat
I have just bought a factory Savage 6BR benchrest rifle for my son, so hope it's the rights choice!

Reactions: Krob95
I tend to single feed. But I like the option of using a magazine. I see that MDT has some mags made for 6BR. Anyone know if they work?
I've never had a BR, but most people are using custom actions with them. A friend had one on a 700 action and he said he had to tweak the ejector to get it running.

I tend to single feed. But I like the option of using a magazine. I see that MDT has some mags made for 6BR. Anyone know if they work?

I run MDT 12rnd BR mags in my Origin action sitting in an MPA BA Comp. on the 2nd barrel and not a single problem. None...zero....zip. Feeds like a champ.

I have a custom dasher that shoots one hole groups while fireforming. The dies are more expensive and the brass has to be formed. Cant speak for 6br but my dasher shoots lights out with unformed and formed brass. Dasher has several records. Just depends on what your looking for I guess. I was wanting accuracy and the ability to shoot longer ranges. Dasher is a bit of work until you find the sweet spots. Funnest gun to shoot I own.

What is it about dasher that makes it more of a headache?

Peterson and alpha both make off the shelf brass for it now.

Only pain in the ass I've encountered is loading AI mags with a case that short.

Remington action, KRG bravo, magpul 5 & 10 rnd AICS pmags are flawless.

Only pain in the ass I've encountered is loading AI mags with a case that short.

Remington action, KRG bravo, magpul 5 & 10 rnd AICS pmags are flawless.

So magpul 5 & 10 AICS mags cycle 6BR without modification?

I have never had a dasher but I like all three 6BRs we shoot. Easy button for me. 2 have sako , 1 has mini M16extractor. 2 have firing pin hole bushed, 1 is factory firing pin but on rebarrel i will have it bushed small.

I shoot a 6mmBR now and my load pushes the 105 hybrids at 2900 fps in a 26". It turned out to be a warm load which means I started getting a sticky bolt on about 10% of the cases after the 3rd firing.
Might have to buy a small base die or back the load down, or both. Problem is I like that speed, there's a node there!

Which brings me to the 6mmBRA, the chambers are set to do a .004 crush on the shoulder which means easy fireforming. Next barrel I'll do a 28" 7.5 twist 6mmBRA and go for the low 2900's/105H at medium pressures. I'd also like the option of driving 110's or 115's in the low 2800's, something the 6mmBR isn't best suited for.

I shoot a 6mmBR now and my load pushes the 105 hybrids at 2900 fps in a 26". It turned out to be a warm load which means I started getting a sticky bolt on about 10% of the cases after the 3rd firing.
Might have to buy a small base die or back the load down, or both. Problem is I like that speed, there's a node there!

Which brings me to the 6mmBRA, the chambers are set to do a .004 crush on the shoulder which means easy fireforming. Next barrel I'll do a 28" 7.5 twist 6mmBRA and go for the low 2900's/105H at medium pressures. I'd also like the option of driving 110's or 115's in the low 2800's, something the 6mmBR isn't best suited for.

The 6BRA fills that role nicely. It's as easy as a 6BR, you just get the benefit of more velocity on your second firing of that case.

You can load it up to Dasher speeds, or load it down to 6BR speeds. You can effectively push the heavier pills if you want to go that route too, I'm happy and stocked up on 105's, and those perform more then well enough for my purposes.

So magpul 5 & 10 AICS mags cycle 6BR without modification?

So long as you're running the bolt. If you try and pussy foot around gently it can sometimes snag up. Running it like a normal man it's always been fine. I have to really try to get it to not feed.

BR is always going to be slightly more finicky to feed with the shorter body. You can also run a dasher at BR speeds with less pressure, which means a little softer peak recoil at the same velocity. 3 years ago you would’ve seen the overwhelming answer be “dasher”, but the BR is really hot right now. That said, the dasher is still probably the favorite by 3:1 for the next BR based case, and 75% of the top 20 are all still using dasher. And at least one of those that responded with a cartridge other than the dasher on the PRS questionnaire thing actually shoots dasher, so it probably closer to 80%. And of the last 5 years, how many golden bullets have been won without a dasher? I think 0. We have a habit of reinventing the wheel sometimes when the answer is to simply do what the top guys are doing...

I deserve flack for this.

The br case is too damn small, if you want a nancy case stick with the 223. I would go 6bra, dasher, 6gt or 6x47l.

☝ yep, I have both. The Dasher is an awesome performer. IMO everything the BR does but less pressure. I run 34'ish gr of 4350 with a 105 at 2900. Perfect case fill, no pressure, consistency of load over 900rds, slowest throat erosion I've had in a Dasher yet, stable as the day I solidified it. This lot of Dasher brass I've had for 3 barrels. I don't see a need to replace it yet.

Are you running Lapua or Alpha brass with the 4350? I'm slowly building a Dasher, and would prefer a slower velocity in exchange for more consistency and stability.

For you BR based cartridge experts out there, I have a BRX barrel sitting around. What’s the best way to get brass? Fire form BR brass (never done any fire forming), pay for hydro brass, could I size down dasher brass?

I would go straight BR as well. Lapua brass, no turn neck, trim to length, 105 Hybrid. Can't make it any easier. Had a Shilen Pre-fit that shot in the low .2's consistently. Easiest caliber I have ever loaded for.
^^^^^
This. Plus, Lapua actually makes great (but spendy) factory ammo that will shoot consistently in the .2s in several of my guns, so that is a plus in my mind when I may be too busy to reload.

Reactions: King_beardsly
For you BR based cartridge experts out there, I have a BRX barrel sitting around. What’s the best way to get brass? Fire form BR brass (never done any fire forming), pay for hydro brass, could I size down dasher brass?

Load standard factory level loads in 6br. Shoot. Done.

Max book loads have worked fine for me with whatever random bullets I have laying around. Generally the fireforming loads shoot just as good as anything, just slower.

^^^^^
This. Plus, Lapua actually makes great (but spendy) factory ammo that will shoot consistently in the .2s in several of my guns, so that is a plus in my mind when I may be too busy to reload.

Another benefit to the brx. Can shoot factory just fine and fireform.

Last edited:
Off subject Have any of you had any problems with light primer strikes during fireforming dasher. My rifle doesnt seem to like the loads that are jammed to fireform.