• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Bra fireforming

06cummins92

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2018
Hello all, I just switched from a 6.5 creedmoor to a 6mm BRA and was curious what a good starting point for fireforming Lapua brass. I’ve used the search function as I’m sure it has been discussed but I am unable to find info so I figured I would ask.

Good info...can you give me an idea on barrel length and velocity you were getting while FF?

-29.8 Varget, jammed 105 (Hybrid?)?
-29.5 H4895 with 105s (Hybrids?)?

Local range is only 100 on paper, and I just cant see me burning through a few hundred rounds doing dot drills. I will almost certainly use the FF loads at a match or two....

Thx
ZY

My fire forming loads were way slower than that, mid/upper 2700’s if I remember correctly from a 26” barrel. My second 6BRA barrel is 27.5” and my fully formed match loads are 2919fps from 30.4gr H4895. I think high 2700’s or low 2800’s is where you want to be for fire forming loads.

No question you could shoot them in a match. A bit harder to work the bolt due to firm close, but otherwise no handicap.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Kthomas, I think you actually gave me that recipe haha. I get 2860fps from a 28” barrel

Kthomas, I think you actually gave me that recipe haha. I get 2860fps from a 28” barrel

Ha - it's a good recipe! Glad it's working for you. I must have a really fast barrel and/or fast lot of powder, I seem to be faster than most.

My final load of 30.6 grains H4895 gives me ~3000 fps.

My fire forming loads were way slower than that, mid/upper 2700’s if I remember correctly from a 26” barrel. My second 6BRA barrel is 27.5” and my fully formed match loads are 2919fps from 30.4gr H4895. I think high 2700’s or low 2800’s is where you want to be for fire forming loads.

No question you could shoot them in a match. A bit harder to work the bolt due to firm close, but otherwise no handicap.

I just got my BRA barreled action over the weekend and I plan to get started. 28" bartlien barrel... Are you jamming the 105's with this load? If so, how much?

I just got my BRA barreled action over the weekend and I plan to get started. 28" bartlien barrel... Are you jamming the 105's with this load? If so, how much?
It was maybe 20 thou, don’t remember. Whatever was needed to make sure I had a firm bolt close since I had a few pieces of brass that were easy to close the bolt in. Check your brass first, if there’s already good resistance in bolt close you may not need to jam at all.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
It was maybe 20 thou, don’t remember. Whatever was needed to make sure I had a firm bolt close since I had a few pieces of brass that were easy to close the bolt in. Check your brass first, if there’s already good resistance in bolt close you may not need to jam at all.

Good point. As soon as my brass shows up I will chamber one and see how it feels.

Has anyone tried using a dasher hydroforming die and do a light smack and resize the shoulder?

might work, what do you think?

Has anyone tried using a dasher hydroforming die and do a light smack and resize the shoulder?

might work, what do you think?

Why? 6BRA is super easy to fire form. That's one of the main reasons why people choose it over the other 6BR variants. I don't create false shoulders or jam bullets. I literally load up the FF loads with a charge of 29.5 H4895, load a 105 Berger Hybrid 5-10 thou off the lands, and go shooting.

No split necks or any other damage to brass. It shoots damn good too, this is 5 rounds at 100 yards with FF loads:

MVIMG_20180504_100543.jpg

The only disadvantage to the FF loads is that you will be ~80-100 fps slower, but who cares? I wouldn't mess with a good thing.

I hear that almost everyone has a great FF load with the 6BRA. My buddies are all shooting matches while for forming lol.

It will probably be my next caliber of it continues to get decent barrel life and continues to break records haha.

Reactions: kthomas
What Dies are you guys going with for the BRA?

I have a Forster Dasher full length die, honed to .265 neck, shortened .090”. I also have a Whidden FL nonbushing 6BRA die. Both are good, I think I like the Forster better since it sized the base a tiny bit more and works the neck less (.262 vs .265), but could use either. I set final neck tension with a mandrel.

It will probably be my next caliber of it continues to get decent barrel life and continues to break records haha.

Barrel #1 is at 2100 rounds and still 1/4 MOA, has lost about 20 FPS lately but I’m still shooting it at club matches. A friend said his last barrel went 26-2700 and it was a practice barrel run hot and hard. I’m still thinking I wouldn’t run it in a big match past 2k rounds.

Reactions: Kadams1563
I have a Forster Dasher full length die, honed to .265 neck, shortened .090”. I also have a Whidden FL nonbushing 6BRA die. Both are good, I think I like the Forster better since it sized the base a tiny bit more and works the neck less (.262 vs .265), but could use either. I set final neck tension with a mandrel.

Interesting......so if you're using a mandrel to set neck tension, do you think the Whidden FL Non-Bushing die WITH the expander button kit would be a good option?

Interesting......so if you're using a mandrel to set neck tension, do you think the Whidden FL Non-Bushing die WITH the expander button kit would be a good option?

I don’t like sizing on the upstroke of the press, you get more consistent and concentric cases by using a mandrel, especially since I’m using a progressive press.

For the guys running h4895 are you working up to that or is it a mild enough load that pressure isn’t an issue. Just don’t wanna start off too hot.

For the guys running h4895 are you working up to that or is it a mild enough load that pressure isn’t an issue. Just don’t wanna start off too hot.

Both my wife and I use 29.5 grains H4895 for fire forming loads. Went straight to it, no work up. No pressure signs in either of our rifles.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Im shooting a BR in my JHR but my next AI barrel will be in BRA. glad there is no jamming done needed.

I have a Hancock / nucleas on the way. Would it be a good idea to extend the adjustable bolt protrusion by say 0.010" for fireforming?

I have a Hancock / nucleas on the way. Would it be a good idea to extend the adjustable bolt protrusion by say 0.010" for fireforming?
A 4 thou crush is what I chamber BRA’s for, if that is what you mean.
Virgin brass will give you just a bit of feel on the bolt close.

No. Nucleus allows you to adjust how far the firing pin sticks out.
Gotcha. If you don’t have a crush, I’d definitely jam .020.
I’ve had no problem loading with .010 jump and shooting virgin brass with 30.0g H4895@2840ish.
I have not idea on extending the pin.

Well I finally got the gun put together and got to put some rounds down the tube, 29.5 grains of H4895 with a 105 hybrid in virgin brass is giving me 2875 out of a 27 inch barrel. And very accurate too.

Attachments

• 5E3F065D-A3C2-47DB-A6F1-B0AECFFAAD39.jpeg
    5E3F065D-A3C2-47DB-A6F1-B0AECFFAAD39.jpeg
    924.5 KB · Views: 74