• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm comp match or creedmore?

I have a 6comp match (kinda, long story) and am shooting 115 JLKs at 3113 fps. Use RL26 47.5 grains. Has sub 10 SDs. And shoots consistently tighter groups during development than my dads 6 Lapua so he says. My other load for 105 JLKs is 47.18 grains of RL26 going 3240 fps. And I have zero shift in POI at 600 yards. The thing shoots lights out with my rock creek 26 inch med Palma. And chambers perfectly after 2 prs events using MPA chassis TL3 and ARC mags. No mods. No nothing. My norma brass have over 5 firings and the primer pockets are tight like a tiger. Now... my dads 6 lapua has 12 firings in his brass and still just as tight as if they were new. He is using 42.5 gr. Of RL26 with 115s going 3035 fps. His 105s go 3157 fps and SDs of 5 consistently. He is as 1200 rounds on his 6 lapua and has also treated his barrel with the that Spartan liquid treatment. Will be interesting what barrel life holds in store. So far. The PRs events we've competed in. We've been able to get most all the brass back. So no crying. But if I lose some Comp match or 6 lapua brass. It hurts my heart. 6 SLR would hurt much less.

That is one of the reasons, along with fireforming, that when back around 2004 when we went to the 6mms I went with a ,.243 and my team mates both went with the 6 Comp Match. Watching them have to fireform and also worry about losing brass and pecking around looking for their brass made me happy with my decision. Also they were running 115s at about 3050fps with H1000 and their barrels both went around 2800 rounds.

Meh, the extra 100fps wasn't worth the hassle to me to consider it. Fireforming, stuffing the extra 4-5 grains of powder, in, all dissuaded me years ago.

Estimated 32-34 firings on my 6x47 now over 10 years. Barrel life is probably 1800 average for me and 3100 + fps/105 is normal with a longer barrel.

I'd rather go to Dasher than faster.

Which reamer are people using with Win brass? The tighter one that PTG offers (with the .2755NK)?

I'm trying to decide between 6mm Creedmoor and 6mm CM. I have a Proof CF blank and am drawn to the 6CM due to barrel life, the catch is the blank is only 22" any thoughts? Also, has anyone used hydrolic forming dies for this 6CM?
thank you.

Which reamer are people using with Win brass? The tighter one that PTG offers (with the .2755NK)?

mine has the .2755 neck and I'm using Lapua brass. It's tight as the loaded rounds are .2735. Look on the LRI website, there are a couple reamer spec there.

I'm trying to decide between 6mm Creedmoor and 6mm CM. I have a Proof CF blank and am drawn to the 6CM due to barrel life, the catch is the blank is only 22" any thoughts? Also, has anyone used hydrolic forming dies for this 6CM?
thank you.

I found a used up 6mm barrel and had it chambered up at the same time as my good barrel. Formed all my brass and spun on the good barrel and went to work.

So in my mind the CM and SLR should be close enough in capacity to be a wash. Have any of you ran an SLR with slower powders and seen CM type barrel life?
i an currently running a 6mm Creedmoor with 45.0gr of RL26
at 3175 and am very happy with it, its way to soon to tell if the RL26 will have a positive impact on barrel life in it though.
Thanks

So in my mind the CM and SLR should be close enough in capacity to be a wash. Have any of you ran an SLR with slower powders and seen CM type barrel life?
i an currently running a 6mm Creedmoor with 45.0gr of RL26
at 3175 and am very happy with it, its way to soon to tell if the RL26 will have a positive impact on barrel life in it though.
Thanks

I have similar results with RL26 in my 6x47. 45g w. 105JLK gets 3210. I've elected to run 115g JLK's and 42.5g RL26 getting 3060fps. I just rolled over 1k rounds and have 8 to 10 reloads on my brass with no hint of primer issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In my factory barrel 24 inch 6 creed I,m getting 3180 with 46.5 of reloader 26 and 105 Berger have some brass with 7 reloads and pockets are still tight.

Same here. The other frustration was stuffing the H1000 or Retumbo into the 6 comp match cases to get over the 3100-3150fps mark. I forget exactly what I was running; 49 or 50 grains and it would not fit in the case if I just dumped it. Had to pour in slowly and tap the cases as it fell and after I was done pouring to get it at least level with the mouth of the case so I could stuff a bullet in. Not worth 2 or 3 clicks...

A 3-4” drop tube works wonders! 50gr of h1000 fills well below the neck in my 6CM.

I have a barrel being done up by LRI right now and I’m very excited to see what the comp match can do. I loved my 6 creed but having to get a new barrel every 1200 rounds was breaking me. The comp match was definitely an investment but I’m really hoping it’ll pay off in the long run. Will be running 105s with h1000, looking for right around 3100 FPS, nothing crazy. Will report back here with my experiences, so anyone else looking to make the switch stay tuned. I’m not a PRS shooter, maybe some day, but just long range coyote hunting and steel target shooting for now. This cartridge should be perfect!

Alright, so it's established that the comp match won't run in AW mags because of the rib. Can anyone comment on AX mags? I planned on gathering up the needed bits to run my AXMC in 6mm comp match and working up a load over the summer, while I continue running my factory .300WM barrel for matches. Still shooting, but not stressing- plenty of time to work the bugs out.

I didn't expect there to possibly be a magazine related "bug" though. So can anyone confirm if the AX .308 mags have a rib like the AW, or are they free and clear?

im pretty sure AX308 and AW mags are the same except for the AX mags have the little lip on the front...i know ive used AX mags in my AT after hammering the lip flat

i did was Hoser did...milled out half of the rib so the shoulders would clear

Well piss. That's not ideal. Not a deal breaker though.