• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm creedmoor 115 DTAC

Chris399

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Good Morning Guys -

So, lots of data out there on running the 115 DTAC in creedmoors. I want to know if you are having success running them in a 1:8 twist barrel and if so give me some guidance on load data. I would like to run H4350 and Hornady Brass.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

You should be fine. Not sensitive to jump in my experience, and your top charge with h4350 will probably be in the 40.5-41gr range. Work up though as normal.

Have a proof carbon, in 1-8. Not good results. Short distance good, but took it to 1000. Was everywhere. Not as consistent as the 105 hybrids. Almost shot out barrel, or close to that round count I imagine. Next barrel will be 1-7, or 1-7.5 for the DTACS.

Reactions: flustercuck
Bartlein Barrel 26" 1:8
115 Dtac
Lapua brass
CCI primer
42.2g H4350
At 3050 fps ES:13 SD: 5

My testing with 115 DTAC in 1-8 did not result in good groups. Testing in a 1-7 twist was significantly better.

if you have a 1-8 twist then plan on using the 105 gr class bullet. FYI, the Berger 105gr hybrid has the same BC as the 115 DTAC and will work in your twist rate.
-TH

Reactions: flustercuck
I have shot several lots of DTAC bullets since the new design. They vary significantly from lot to lot. The forming of the rebated boattail and the pointing operation have not been consistent.

For the most part the groups have been pretty good, sometimes phenomenal. They are iffy in an 8 twist. I ran them in two 8 twist barrels and had great results at 3000 fps+ and in a DA over 1000. If the DA gets much below that I would have wonky things happen. The bc also varied with temp which points to stability problems in an 8 twist.

I would also say, regarding the bc being the same as the 105 hybrid, it depends. I've had lots that required a .570 g1 to get the curve to line up and lots that lined up with .625 g1.

Even with the stability issues, most matches I shot were 80 degrees plus with the pressure around 29" of hg. I had no trouble (I should say the gun had no trouble. Sometimes I did.) running a kyl rack. I also shot several groups at 800 yds that where in the 2.5 -3" range for ten shots. In cooler weather they would shoot good up close and then they would go crazy past 500 yds.

I am currently running a 7.5 twist with better results. I have more consistent groups and the bc for the current lot I am running is above the quoted .620.

As long as things stay the way they are I'm going to keep shooting them. In the 8 twist barrels I ran 105 grain bullets when the temps were cooler. I like the energy on target and the ability to spot misses easier with the 115 class bullets. If I could pick up trace on every shot it would probably not matter, but I am not at that level.

Good info. Also, it should be noted that the colder it gets the worse the stability will be. So if you're planning on shooting in colder weather, go for lower bc bullets. 107 smk seems to be the sauce for 1:8 tw creedmoors...

Reactions: bar_n