• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6mm Creedmoor barrel length

LongRngWoodchuck

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I did a search but nothing came up. What barrel length is proving to be the best for the 6mm Creedmoor? I will be running it with a suppressor so I am thinking a little shorter, like 24".

What are you going to be using the gun for?

If you are only going to shoot prone or on a bench then a 28in barrel with a suppressor isn't a big inconvenience, and will add velocity which helps at longer ranges. If you are going to shoot comps that require moving, then a shorter barrel would be easier to wield. So, my answer is, it depends how you want to use the rifle.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've run a few 6 creedmoor barrels at 24" and can achieve 3150fps easily without pressure signs or compressed loads using H4350 and Berger hybrids/Amax/SMKs. My next 6creed will be somewhere around 22", for PRS matches I see no need to really go longer with 3100/3200fps limits, if I can hit 3050fps fine at 22" ill likely chop it down to 20".

But as mentioned above...if all you are doing is prone/bench shooting with no FPS limits might as well go 26/28/30fps and let em scream.

Thanks guys, I will be using mostly for local PRS style matches so I don't want something so long that it is awkward to handle. I think I will go with the 24".

I'm running a 26" bartlien as of now. I've used 24" also, you can achieve 3100-3150fps pretty easy with a 24". I'm running a sico omega on my 26" in prs matches.

Plenty of the top PRS guys run 26-28" with and with out Supressors with no issues. So don't think you need at 22" to be competitive.

Reactions: deersniper
I'm seeing 3250 fps through my 26" Excaliber with 105gr AMAX over top of RL-17. It's a laser beam to say the least.

Reactions: deersniper
I went back and forth between 22" and 24" so much that I couldn't decide. I went 23" to split the difference. Just past the half way point of GAP's 6mo wait.

I run a 22" 105 Hyb @3086 took second at my last shoot with it. No suppressor though. Super easy to maneuver!

Where did you find your load data for that? I picked up some RL-17 and some IMR 4451 to do some load development with.

Honestly there's not much info for the 6mm. I've learned that 40.0gr is a good starting point for most powders in the Creed case, so that's where I would start and work up from there.

I actually had RL-17 going over 3300 with the 105s and nothing but really light ejector marks... didn't figure the barrel would be lasting me too long at those velocities though so I turned it down a bit.

IMR 4451 also showed good promise for me - well over 3200 with the 105s and good accuracy with first loads, but 17 was just THAT good that I went and bought out Cabela's stock lol.

I've been working on loads w/ 4451 & RL-17 but am still not set on a permanent load to run. The accuracy is there w/ both .406 in 5 shot group @ 100 yards w/ 4451& .455in. 5 shot group w/ RL-17@100yrds... Ave of 5 -5 shot grps...my velocity ES is 10-12 fps w/ 4451& 12-14 w/ RL-17... The 4451 does run very clean& is supposed to contain a copper fouling agent,thats a plus,but if my Muz--ES is the decision maker the 4451 should be the one,but my Muz velocity w/ the RL-17 is 60-70 fps higher. Not sure how to weigh the pros of the data...
6 mm creedmoor W/ 41.0grs RL-17 fed match-210. Horn brass. Berg 105 hybrid. COAL 2.812. MV-2990-3000 fps. IMR 4451 40.5grns. Fed match 210. Horn brass. Berg 105 hybrid. COAL 2.812. MV-2925-2935. Could crank out more MV still but trying to not burn through my barrel too quickly... Krieger M 24 1-8twist @26". Really like my setup w/ this barrel,so I'm hoping that I won't have to completely replace it in 500 rounds. Any other information that I can use to help me with the decision of making a permanent load out of one of the powders in question?

Reactions: lawnchair 04
I've used RL26, H4831SC and MRP in the 6 Creed all with great results. All the good loads are between 45-46 grains with 105's.

Anybody running an 18” barrel? I have a really heavy 22-250AI with a 28” rem varmint on it. It’s a right handed savage action. I wanna make it usable. Since I won’t be using it in competition, due to being a wrong handed savage I’d like to make a light short mid range gun out of it. I’m thinking about having a medium contour 7 twist spun up at 18” with heavy flutes and a short blended brake. Put it in a carbon chassis or stock and use it for a calling/tractor gun.

Reactions: chevy327