• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6mm Creedmoor freebore questions

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
Hey guys. I just picked up a new 6 Creedmoor custom rifle from a guy that has never been fire. He never fired it because the freebore is either a .104 or .110 (can’t remember) which was too short for his pet loads but he has it at the shop to get it cut to a .183 freebore. I know the .183 is saami but I see a lot of suggestions about running it shorter for hybrids and such. I’m not against reloading one bit but I would also
like the option of buying 108 elds off the shelf to play around with. What would you guys recommend?

I only fired a handful of the factory hornady stuff but accuracy was about 1/2-3/4"

ive run 1000+ hybrids jammed in a .183 freebore just fine. Same with 107 smks and 105 amaxs.

all my 6creed barrels have had the .183 fb and there's nothing i haven't been able to shoot to 1/4" or better.

When it comes to a 6mm I like as little freebore as possible. You're going to shoot the throat out in no time, so if you go with more freebore you won't be able to chase the lands as long. But, I go through 5 or 6 barrels a year. If you aren't shooting out a barrel or 2 every year then it might be worth deciding what bullet you are going to shoot and have it bored specifically for that bullet I guess. Just food for thought.