• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm creedmoor primers

Dildobaggins

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2020
Pretty new to reloading. Tried looking through the threads but couldn't find anything really. I have a defiance tenacity action .62 firing pin. I want to start reloading and I can't decide wether to get small or large rifle primer brass. Obviously I'm not a pro, but on the precision rifle blog the majority are using large rifle primers...wolf primers to my surprise. From what I'm seeing the small rifle primer brass might last longer under hotter loads. Also read some things about cratering primers with SRP. These posts are 4 years old. Does any of this still hold true? What are the pros and cons of small vs large primers for 6 creed? And if you had my budget action, what would you choose? Thanks fellas. Side note. Might be shooting in cold weather, but I wouldn't be out for more than 30 or 45 mins under very cold conditions.

Honestly, these days it's whatever you can get, and small primers are seemingly easier to come by. I've had two backorders come in and am now pretty flush.

FWIW, when I had my 6 CM, I shot small primers (BR4s). I shoot them in my 6 BRA and will be doing so in my new 308.

Really doesn't matter between small and large. What is important when using small primers is to use small rifle magnums or their benchrest counterparts. So the cci 450 and BR4, but not the 400 for example.

@Imthatguywithquestions The tenacity is a very high quality piece. It will not cause cratering due to the small pin diameter, and precisely fit pin hole in the bolt face.

I hear both of you, but I'm on a discord channel that these things come up for sale often. Granted. They are expensive as hell. Horrible time to start reloading hahah

Really doesn't matter between small and large. What is important when using small primers is to use small rifle magnums or their benchrest counterparts. So the cci 450 and BR4, but not the 400 for example.

@Imthatguywithquestions The tenacity is a very high quality piece. It will not cause cratering due to the small pin diameter, and precisely fit pin hole in the bolt face.
I said budget action, cause I know what some of these guys run in here and I'd have to take out a second mortgage to get what they run haha. I personally like it alot. Feels very solid and the bolt is smooth as butter. I'm happy with my choice. Good to hear about the primer crating issue. Thanks

You have an .062" diameter firing pin which will greatly reduce cratering.

I run that firing pin in a Defiance Deviant chambered for 6X47L, which is very similar to 6CM. Using CCI450 small rifle magnum primers, I do not have any issues with cratering. When the same load is fired in my standard Remington action, which has the stock larger diameter pin, it will crater.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I've got some of both for my 6mm Creedmoor. I would just go with the LRP variety if I had to pick one. I had to use small rifle Magnum primers in the SRP brass to get velocity more consistent.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I've got fed AR match, cci Br4, cci 400 and cci 450's. I've been using the feds in my 6.5 creed but I'm using a slightly slower powder (imr 4350). Kinda wondering if I could lower my es/sd by switching to the cci 450s?

Are the 450's the same as the Br4's in charge?

I've got fed AR match, cci Br4, cci 400 and cci 450's. I've been using the feds in my 6.5 creed but I'm using a slightly slower powder (imr 4350). Kinda wondering if I could lower my es/sd by switching to the cci 450s?

Are the 450's the same as the Br4's in charge?
Allegedly the 450’s have more brisance, but ive tested many lots of each and they differ by less than my SD’s, every time.

Tried the following primers in Lapua SRP and 42.9 gr of Stabal 6.5 behind some ELD-Xs @ 3140 fps

Rem Buchrest - Hang fire
Murom KVB-223 - Hang fire
WIN Sr - worked fine
CCI 400 - worked fine

Going to try som CCI 450 next.

Other than the CCI 400, I haven't shoot the others through a chrono yet.

Reactions: Davidheart