• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Fat Rat / AR / variants barrel life?

lte82

Shooter
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Looking at building a 6mm fat rat for high power competition, and want to know about barrel life. I've heard "about 3000 rounds" from one of the local guys that shoots it, but he is just now finishing up his first season with it so he doesn't really KNOW know.

Seems to me like it would be in the 2000-3000 range, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks in advance.

I'd probably go with the 6arp or similar based on the 6.8. Either way, your probably looking at 2k for match life, 5k for acceptable normal use.

My 6mm ART40 was up to .8" at 100Y with close to 1700 or so rounds through it. I shot hot loads through it for the first 1300 and then slowed em down.

I think sub moa for 2500 rounds with medium loads is more realistic.

Last edited:
    It depends on what pressures you run, and what powders you use. The slower-burning powders with more elongated pressure curves will preserve the throat. If you go with an extended length gas system, you won't have to worry about hitting the gas port with a lot of pressure when using slower powders.

The 6mm's based off the x43 SPC case don't allow seating of the longer, higher BC bullets unless you single load.

The 6mm Hagar has been gaining a good reputation in NRA Hi Power, and it has the shoulder blown way forward to gain more capacity. It's longer than a x43 case.

Of course, a 6mm Fat Rat will be able to single-load too, but there isn't a need to do it.

My 6mm ART40 was up to .8" at 100Y with close 1700 or so rounds through it. I shot hot loads through it for the first 1300 and then slowed em down.

I think sub moa for 2500 rounds with medium loads is more realistic.

Not bad. I actually just happened upon a 6mm ar turbo 40 and pulled the trigger on it tonight. No idea on round count which sucks but it was fairly cheap and came with the dies, brass, magazines, etc. Im hoping it at least has 15-20 matches left in it.

Also did you ever send yours in to Whitley for a rebarrel? Im a little leary on the cost since its a proprietary chamber...

Not bad. I actually just happened upon a 6mm ar turbo 40 and pulled the trigger on it tonight. No idea on round count which sucks but it was fairly cheap and came with the dies, brass, magazines, etc. Im hoping it at least has 15-20 matches left in it.

Also did you ever send yours in to Whitley for a rebarrel? Im a little leary on the cost since its a proprietary chamber...

I sold that upper so hadn't contacted Whitley for a rebarrel. I'm too spoiled with bigger cartridges in the bolt guns although the 6mmART40 was a lot of fun.

I am currently planning a build with Scott at Specialized Dynamics and cannot decide on straight 6.5 Grendel with 123 gr bullets
    or 243 lbc/6mm AR with 95-105 gr bullets. I am worried about reloading the 6 mm because every custom AR I have loaded for has had it's idiosyncrasies when
    it comes to chamber dims. Add to that, I want to run it suppressed as well.

I sold that upper so hadn't contacted Whitley for a rebarrel. I'm too spoiled with bigger cartridges in the bolt guns although the 6mmART40 was a lot of fun.

Ah ok. Thanks.

I am currently planning a build with Scott at Specialized Dynamics and cannot decide on straight 6.5 Grendel with 123 gr bullets
    or 243 lbc/6mm AR with 95-105 gr bullets. I am worried about reloading the 6 mm because every custom AR I have loaded for has had it's idiosyncrasies when
    it comes to chamber dims. Add to that, I want to run it suppressed as well.

What idiosyncrasies would that be?

I'm going to give what I think would be average based off reading here on the Hide for years.

6mmG 3500
    6mmFatRat 3000
    6mmBR 3000
    6mmDasher 2200

Maybe a little more life for light loads, and less for hot loads. This is assuming staying within 1 moa accuracy as the max allowed accuracy used for a worn barrel, and 1/2 or sub half when new.

Reactions: DerrtyMac
    Those numbers are about right, 2K rounds in a year of match use, downgrade it as practice for a year before retiring. That's based on doing only two 88-round matches a month, 12 months a year. Generally, no one goes into a major match with a barrel that has over 2,500 rounds and risk a couple of un-called fliers at 600yds.

Reactions: DerrtyMac
    I'm going to give what I think would be average based off reading here on the Hide for years.

6mmG 3500
    6mmFatRat 3000
    6mmBR 3000
    6mmDasher 2200

Maybe a little more life for light loads, and less for hot loads. This is assuming staying within 1 moa accuracy as the max allowed accuracy used for a worn barrel, and 1/2 or sub half when new.

thanks I noticed the other day a thread talking about a 6mm Advanced Rifle Cartridge, not jumping on a bandwagon, but seems that it may make a decent semi-auto rifle cartridge. It’s just beginning and haven’t seen anyone selling factory ammo, but after watching and reading some others accounts on getting a reliable SA long range shooter this may be a good cartridge to follow.

Reactions: steve123