• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6mm in Remington Model 7 - Customization ?'s

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I have an old Remington Model 7 in 6mm caliber that has a wood stock and blue finish. I was considering doing some customization to it. I don't want to change the caliber.

I was thinking of replacing the barrel with a stainless barrell and then getting the action and barrel cerakoted. Then putting it into a composite stock.

I don't want it too heavy, but would like the stock to have a higher than the manufacturers normal cheek piece and a little larger forearm.

- What barrel size and stock would you recommend?
- Any thoughts or opinions about my idea?
- Any specific recommendations?

Thanks.

Re: 6mm in Remington Model 7 - Customization ?'s

I'd do about a #4 or a fluted #5 and Mcmillan HTG, Hunter, Game Scout or A3 sporter. I am planning the same thing with my .243 model seven and that's how I am leaning....with the Game Scout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do about a #4 or a fluted #5 and Mcmillan HTG, Hunter, Game Scout or A3 sporter. I am planning the same thing with my .243 model seven and that's how I am leaning....with the Game Scout. </div></div>

A #4 was what I had in mind. The mcmillan A3 or game scout doesn't look bad.

Any other stocks you all might recommend?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAG00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd do about a #4 or a fluted #5 and Mcmillan HTG, Hunter, Game Scout or A3 sporter. I am planning the same thing with my .243 model seven and that's how I am leaning....with the Game Scout. </div></div>

A #4 was what I had in mind. The mcmillan A3 or game scout doesn't look bad.

Any other stocks you all might recommend? </div></div>

TTT for more suggestions. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAG00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TTT for more suggestions. Thanks. </div></div>

I put a Timney trigger and PTG floor plate and trigger guard on mine. I love my 7 and it's my go-to rifle for eastern whitetail. I have a #4 barrel in mine and I think that it is perfect. The game scout sounds great but don't go to overboard. You don't want to take the compact light rifle feel away from it. To me thats the appeal of the Model 7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Timney trigger and PTG floor plate and trigger guard on mine. I love my 7 and it's my go-to rifle for eastern whitetail. I have a #4 barrel in mine and I think that it is perfect. The game scout sounds great but don't go to overboard. You don't want to take the compact light rifle feel away from it. To me thats the appeal of the Model 7. </div></div>

I agree. I don't want to make it too heavy. I do want to change out the wood stock to a synthetic though.

Any thoughts on the finish. Blue action (existing action), stainless barrell (new barrel) both with a creakote applied.

question:
How does it shoot now? Model 7's carry extremely well in the factory stance. If you are going to cerakote it, why spend money on a new stainless barrel (my thinking is in rust protection)...

For the stock: i've used the B&C alaskan with great results as well as my mcmillan...

For me- I'd cerakote the barrel and action now (if it shoots well as is), put on a B&C stock, get the trigger tuned to a nice 2.5# and have at it!

I have mine in a black HSP stock with a matte bead blasted finish. It looks pretty much like it did factory (black on stainless)just upgraded.

I would deffinately go with a stainless tube. For the 60 to 100 dollar differance and the cost of machineing the stainless barrel will last much longer and be better weather proof inside the bore reguardless of the coating.

I definately think Ceracoate is better than Duracoat. As far as colors, thats in the eye of the beholder. Don't know anything about the 6mm remington ballistics but I like a 20 inch tube for the 7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swampbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I put a Timney trigger and PTG floor plate and trigger guard on mine. I love my 7 and it's my go-to rifle for eastern whitetail. I have a #4 barrel in mine and I think that it is perfect. The game scout sounds great but don't go to overboard. You don't want to take the compact light rifle feel away from it. To me thats the appeal of the Model 7. </div></div>

+1

I also luv my mdl 7, took my stock 7saum & put a #4 brux 1/9 finished at 19.5 add muzzle brake. B&C alaskan stock bedded, with timmey trigger. Also chambered in 7saum, 1.8x10/37mm US Optics glass. This is a 3/8 moa rig at 100yds & a shooter all the way to 1000yds.

I have my Seven in a Mcmillan A-5 Stock with LW heavy target barrel,Jewell trigger and Vais muzzle brake
here is a pic:
1rem7.jpg

^^^that is a cool Seven!^^^

I took one I had, tore it down and made a .22-243 out of it.

Pretty budget build, a friend did the barrel work. He trued/spint on a Krieger 1:7.7" twist, #3 contour, finished 25.5"
had another friend do a flat black Cerakote jobby on barreled action
new PT&G bolt for .473" face/GreTan shroud & pin

I bedded it in a factory lammy stock I got for $50, and installed a Rifle Basix Basix LV-1K trigger

Glen Seekins made me a 20MOA rail for a Seven back in the day, so I slapped that biotch on top...

Viola, badazz coyote smasher that'll ring steel (and smoke a barrel out) out quite a ways with 75Amaxs @ 3500 easy...
2012-09-29_15-19-18_406.jpg

Some food for thought!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gol1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have my Seven in a Mcmillan A-5 Stock with LW heavy target barrel,Jewell trigger and Vais muzzle brake
here is a pic:
1rem7.jpg
</div></div>

That is an awesome seven right there. Looks great. It looks similar to what I would have in mind, only I don't want to get too heavy. I still want it to easy for carrying for hunting.