• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm or 7mm BR for long range??

29aholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southwest MO
I think both cartridges are viable so which would you choose and what twist rate/bullet?

I ask as I have a ton of brass and would like to go to something with a better BC than 308, but I don't want to go to a mag.

I went 6 creedmoor , unbelievable difference. I too had a 308 up until this I am blown away with how fun and accurate it is. Shooting 105 Hybrids at 3100 easy on brass 5 reloads so far and firm primer pockets. Having No recoil is really enjoyable.

7mm br for long range: No
6mm br for long range: Sure, but not from .308 brass - do a search and read a little bit about what it takes to make 6br from 308, and then you have a large rifle primer, instead of the small rifle primer...

7mm br for long range: No
6mm br for long range: Sure, but not from .308 brass - do a search and read a little bit about what it takes to make 6br from 308, and then you have a large rifle primer, instead of the small rifle primer...

Between 6br brass and 308 basic BR brass I have 300 cases all small primer pocket. I also have a bunch of 7BR brass

I have an old XP100 in 7br and its a great hunting pistol round. Won't throw the heavy for caliber bullets for long range use though.

Just got done fire forming 200 6brx cases and was surprised at how accurate they where. If I had the option, I'd have probably stuck with the straight 6br.

My vote for you would be a straight 6br, 105 grain Berger Hybrids or 105 Hornady Amax, 1:8 or faster twist. Litz's new book suggests a stability factor of 1.5 for optimum ballistic coefficient. The Amaxs are just there, and the Berger's are longer so they'll be a little below that. Still more than stable, but a few percent down on BC. Probably ~2800 fps from a 24" barrel, another 100-120 for the brx or dasher.

I have the 6mmBR, 243, and 6mmRem reamers.

For long range, you want lots of powder and lots of bullet. The target guys have to cut back to make weight and barrel life. But for hunting, 7mmRM is the answer.

I have always liked hunting with the 7BR but never thought of it as a "long range" round.

Every round that I consider "long range" have a lot more case volume than the BR cases do.