• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Recoil

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    I’m contemplating switching to a 6mm for my deer hunting rifle. I’m fine with 308 for myself but my daughters are about to start learning to shoot and going with me. Any of the 6mm’s would still do the trick for my needs, and I’m figuring the recoil would be a little less for the girls and the wife.

I don’t load and probably won’t start any time soon. Will probably shoot this rifle ~200 times per year.

Is there a significant difference in perceived recoil between 6 GT and 6 Creed? Thought about 6 ARC but might be a tad slower and feeding from AICS doesn’t seem straight forward?

6 creedmoor is tough to beat. The wound be good for a beginner. Probably progress 22lr, 223, then 6cm

Y’all are confirming what I suspected with 6 creed as obvious choice, just wanted to make sure I’m not missing some other 6mm factory stuff that has less recoil.

Also, would the answer change if I like short barrels?

Y’all are confirming what I suspected with 6 creed as obvious choice, just wanted to make sure I’m not missing some other 6mm factory stuff that has less recoil.

Also, would the answer change if I like short barrels?
    Obviously most other short action chamberings are smaller and will recoil less but it’s a 6mm, more or less splitting hairs. And you want factory ammo.

Are you going to shoot factory or reloads?

Factory ammo, 6 Creed or .243. For hunting they are interchangeable.

If you reload, 6GT is smallest cartridge that will work in .308 mags or blind mags.

With an AR, the 6 arc is an obvious choice too. You can build a 6 ARC AR much cheaper than a bolt gun.

.223 with the right bullet is also fantastic on deer. You don't need anything more to kill whitetail, especially those small ass runts down in TX.

Here ya go

Are you going to shoot factory or reloads?

Factory ammo, 6 Creed or .243. For hunting they are interchangeable.

If you reload, 6GT is smallest cartridge that will work in .308 mags or blind mags.

With an AR, the 6 arc is an obvious choice too. You can build a 6 ARC AR much cheaper than a bolt gun.

.223 with the right bullet is also fantastic on deer. You don't need anything more to kill whitetail, especially those small ass runts down in TX.
    I’m not going to reload.

When the wife started hunting she got real spoiled with a suppressed 12.5” 6.8. And didn’t care for stepping up to a bolt action 308. Really no need to either, just shooting does at 100 yards under a feeder. Sticking with an SBR platform wouldn’t be the worst option in the world, but I’d argue that something that’s not an auto loader might be a tad safer to teach the little ones on. I’d be fine (and have) popped white tails with a 556, but would like a little more margin with the kids.

I have both 6CM and 6GT, and if you’re after the softest recoil, the 6GT is a bit softer.

That said, I only say that having shot the same 105-115gn projectiles in either… some of the more hunting specific factory 6CM loads that use lighter bullets might be softer feeling than the 109gn ELD-M 6GT that’s out there (I haven’t seen factory 6GT hunting specific loads yet).

In general, 6CM is easier to live with, already has way more factory ammo choices, and will do the same things.

You are shooting does under 100 yards. Don't overthink it.
    Howa in 6 ARC will be plenty. Inexpensive, lightweight, compact. Factory hunting ammo available.
    Your 6.8 would work extremely well also. Just load one in the mag or turn the gas off if you are worried about safety.

Another vote for 223 if it is legal in your area. 75 Gold Dot or 77 TMK have a good reputation for slaying deer.

Very little recoil from a hunting weight rifle.

Reactions: DJL2
    I’m not going to reload.

When the wife started hunting she got real spoiled with a suppressed 12.5” 6.8. And didn’t care for stepping up to a bolt action 308. Really no need to either, just shooting does at 100 yards under a feeder. Sticking with an SBR platform wouldn’t be the worst option in the world, but I’d argue that something that’s not an auto loader might be a tad safer to teach the little ones on. I’d be fine (and have) popped white tails with a 556, but would like a little more margin with the kids.
    +1 I don't think any caliber is going to give you huge margins of error at 100 yds vs the other.
    A 223 bolt gun shooting 77TMK is going to be very effective inside 100yd.

Its all down to what you want/need from the 6mm that .223 won't do.
    There's definitely places that have min caliber restrictions.

1690580489467.png

+

+1 I don't think any caliber is going to give you huge margins of error at 100 yds vs the other.
    A 223 bolt gun shooting 77TMK is going to be very effective inside 100yd.
    Won’t argue with that reasoning, but can’t afford a lot of different rifles (and decent optics!) So if I change calibers it’s to something I’ll be using as well, which takes the possible range out to 400ish

Reactions: ma smith
    I’m contemplating switching to a 6mm for my deer hunting rifle. I’m fine with 308 for myself but my daughters are about to start learning to shoot and going with me. Any of the 6mm’s would still do the trick for my needs, and I’m figuring the recoil would be a little less for the girls and the wife.

I don’t load and probably won’t start any time soon. Will probably shoot this rifle ~200 times per year.

Is there a significant difference in perceived recoil between 6 GT and 6 Creed? Thought about 6 ARC but might be a tad slower and feeding from AICS doesn’t seem straight forward?
    6mm ARC would be slightly slower than the GT and Creed, but feeding from AICS is not a big deal at all with the right magazines. I run 12rd MDT 6mm ARC mags in my Christensen Arms MPR 16" 6mm ARC. Feeds perfect. Really have grown quite fond of this little cartridge.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MarshallDodge
    If you are worried about a difference in recoil put a muzzle brake on it. I put a three port brake on a .243 for my kids to shoot. No recoil. My oldest son was 7 when he first shot it. My other son was 6.

For deer, I like the sixes. Brenda hunts with a .243 and it puts em down. We use Nosler Partitions and the blood trails have to be seen to be believed. (when they don’t fall at the shot, she hit one that did, just like in the tv shows).

Caveat. The stock has to fit. Without a good hold, her old style Remington 700 (from the early 1970’s) will hurt you a whole lot more than my 35 Whelen. So, spend the time, get a stock/chassis that fits. It will make a 6CM or .243 or 6mm Remington a fine rifle and a lot of fun to shoot.

4C7AC7AD-84C3-44C8-8A94-2955D0FF838E.jpeg

I started my now 9 year old son on his/our 6.5 CM when he was 7. The suppressor was key to keeping him focused. It was much better for him than the brake - the extra noise and concussion was quite possibly worse than bare muzzle. The first time he fired a 6.5 CM he was small enough that I was doing just about everything but pulling the trigger (he was on the gun, sandwiched between me and the stock).

I would have no qualms at all about putting together a light 6 Creed for him. Some of the guys I grew up with learned on and hunted with .243 Win (mostly nuisance culls). No complaints there. Unless your daughters are quite slight or particularly recoil sensitive, you’ll be A-OK with a 6mm.

223 with 77 TMK. Least amount of recoil. Usually gets a guy to 400-450 yards depending on barrel length, elevation, etc. Keep the impact velocity around 1800ish fps or faster and you are good to go.

Just measured my girls’ LOP and it’s a teeny tiny 8”. I may be putting the cart before the horse here, going to be hard to get them behind a bolt action of any kind until they get bigger. May indeed have to start out with an AR.

223, the easiest center fire to learn to shoot well, and cheap practice ammo, to keep em interested...and good enough for close range deer with proper bullets...if ya hand load you can get 308 to shoot with the same recoil as the 243 types, all copper lightweight hunting bullets...also reduced recoil factory loads were available for the 308 win for hunting...125 gr I believe.