• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm Remington or pass

Caterpillardoc

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Doswell, Virginia
I have the chance to pick up a Remington 700 VLR in 6mm Remington at a good price and am having a hard time deciding if I should get it or not. I currently have a Remington 700 AAC in 308 and have been wanting to get another rifle in 6mm or 6.5mm. I had been leaning to a 260 Rem or 243, then this rifle became available. My biggest concern is getting good quality brass, other than that I'm thinking it will shoot about the same as a 243, should be similar ballistics and barrel life. Anyone have experience with this caliber? I'm wanting to use it out to 1000-1200 yards shooting tactical matches. Another consideration is I can rebarrel in 243 or 260 once this barrel is shot out. This rifle is a 6mm with 1-9 twist, not 244 Rem.

6mm Rem brass has not been easiest to find as of last couple years. Not sure about factory ammo.

Great round, bit more performance then a 243, barrel life about same as 243.

If you can find brass or ammo, get rifle and have fun. I'd tell you that for 9 twist the best bullet is probably going to be 95 SMK or 90 / 95 Berger.

Brass is going to be Rem, Win, Hornady or Fed, at least with a 6mm Rem head stamp. Could make 6mm Rem brass from Nosler 257 Roberts brass.

Probably better off with a 243, 6 Creed, 6 XC or 6 X 47 Lapua and 7.5 or 7.7 twist barrel to run the 105 hybrids, 115 VLD for 1000 - 1200 yd shooting.

6mm Rem would be fun but 9 twist is going to push you down to 90 - 95 gr bullets, which is going to be be giving up a bit in LR performance to the 105 hybrid / 115 VLD.

I started making 6mm Rem brass from 270win and 30-06 brass. I think I have the process down well enough that I am going to buy a box of Lapua 30-06 and make my self a batch of 6mm Rem from that.

I started making 6mm Rem brass from 270win and 30-06 brass. I think I have the process down well enough that I am going to buy a box of Lapua 30-06 and make my self a batch of 6mm Rem from that.
I have been considering building a 6mm remington and the brass has been the hold up for me too. LR338nut is there any way I can talk you into posting your process for making brass from 30-06. If it is not a huge headache, I might try it myself.

thanks

6mm Remington or pass

I bought a 700 VLS chambered in 6mm years back. I use it as my varmint rig. I recently just picked up a M70 in .243 that I haven't shot yet. I'm interested in comparing the two. Both are good rounds. Personally, I typically pounce on every good firearm deal that presents itself.

Would you be interested in sharing your process? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve.

Last edited:
I have been considering building a 6mm remington and the brass has been the hold up for me too. LR338nut is there any way I can talk you into posting your process for making brass from 30-06. If it is not a huge headache, I might try it myself.

thanks

I neck it down in my 260 die first, a 7-08 would work fine too. I take out the decaping rod and expander ball, then run the (well lubed with imperial wax) shell all the way up, tighten the die until it is touching the case, bring the case down, tighten the die 1/4 turn and run the case up, then repeat. Take the case down, tighten the die 1/4 turn, run the case up. On the first case when you start getting to the point where you are sizing the body of the 30-06 case into your new neck take it slow and measure your case from the base to the shoulder, I leave it about 0.1" longer than the 6mm rem, if you want you can set the shoulder exactly at the 6mm Rem length, then set your lock ring on the die. Once you have a batch of brass sized down in our 6.5 or 7mm die then you can repeat the process in your 6mm rem die. Once I get all the brass full length sized in the 6mm Rem die I will put the recapping rod and expander back in and then run the expander through the NECKS only, do not try to run the brass all the way into the die because the necks are way too long. You need to expand the necks so they will fit the pilot for the trimmer. Now you have to trim quite a bit off them, hope you have an electronic trimmer! Then I neck turn them as well.
Its a huge pain in the ass and a lot of time (which I have apparently). If this sounds like more work than its worth, buy some Nosler 257 Roberts brass and run it through your sizing die, and done.

Last edited: