• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm - Which one?

vanjansen

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2021
Quebec
I have decided that my next barrel will be a 6mm. Help me choose!

I am interested to hear your choices and why. This will be mainly for PRS rifle with the odd F-Class match out to 600 yds.

I went with a 6br for my first and loving it. I’m about 1800 rounds on it and ordering another from bugioles.

Using it shooting local benchrrst comps and having a blast. So little recoil and so easy to work up a load. Everything shot good.

6BRA if you reload

Dumbass easy to load/shoot sub 3/4 MOA or better
Shoot matches with sub-MOA fireforming using BR brass…no boutique brass shopping required.
A dozen powders that work great including Varget which you likely already have.
Lots of good bullet choices
As good as Dasher without what used to be a PITA fireforming process.
More prefit barrel choices

6CM if you don’t reload

Factory ammo at less than 1.40$/round.

6BR or 6BRA will do everything your asking.

key info you left out is do you load?

6 ARC, 6 BR, 6 Dasher, 6 Creed, in order of decreasing barrel life. All have no-fire-forming brass options.

Personal opinion, BR or ARC. The velocity gain from the others doesn't amount to much from a realistic hit probability standpoint. The ARC takes a funny bolt face (.445"). Both are going to need BR magazines (I've been happy with MDT). The barrel life gain over the creed is worth it, IMO. Keeping a barrel for more than 3-4 matches + practice before it's toast is nice.

Considering one parameter you have is f-class I’d lean towards a BR variant. Whatever components are easiest to acquire, start there and shot it. Ultimately BR, BRA, Dasher, are universally easy to load for and launch a 105 at or around 2800-2900 and with Berger’s are jump insensitive. You may also consider 6GT as it does well feeding with regular 308 mags.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning heavily towards 6BR. My only concern is magazine feeding.

Anyone tried out the MDT mags for the 6BR?

@JustSendit - I have not seen much brass available for the 6GT and seems not everyone carries the reamer for them.

Thanks for the feedback. I am leaning heavily towards 6BR. My only concern is magazine feeding.

@JustSendit - I have not seen much brass available for the 6GT and seems not everyone carries the reamer for them.
I run 3 accurate mags with the primal rights kits…been running them for 2-3 years with a 6BRX 6BR and 6BRA all 3 cartridges and mags have run flawlessly….you might have to tune the lips a little but 15mins in your house with a few dummy rounds and your GTG.

The 6 CM is definitely high on my list. Barrel life is a concern - minor but still a concern. However there are many positives. Brass availability, Quality factory ammo (as stated), reloading dies and tons of data. Mmmm.... You are throwing a spanner in the works here ... ;)

Yeah it’s the new kid on the block. Alpha and Hornady make brass that comes up fairly frequently. There’s a used to be a bunch hanging out in the PX too. Reamer, GAP and Alpha both sell them.
I used the MDT mags, one worked flawlessly the other I had to lightly sand my feed lips, and I essentially waxed the inside of the mag. Now it’s good to go.

I've had a BR and now a dasher. Posted this pic in a couple places. This was done on Friday with the dasher out of my AI. Hard to beat but can be done with all the BR variants.

Screenshot_20210829-180158_Brave.jpg

I run 3 accurate mags with the primal rights kits…been running them for 2-3 years with a 6BRX 6BR and 6BRA all 3 cartridges and mags have run flawlessly….you might have to tune the lips a little but 15mins in your house with a few dummy rounds and your GTG.
Will have to see if I can get the PR kit in Canada. With the current landscape everything is more difficult to get and I am afraid it won't get easier either ... :(

That is some nice shooting! Caliber aside that is a great group
I creep one out every now and then. The group didn't really surprise me as much as the fact that it was cold bore and first time shooting a group in months.

Reactions: bar_n
I must say the big draw for me to the 6BR is the cost to performance factor. It is inherently accurate and uses much less powder. In addition, quality 6mm bullet are cheaper the most of the bigger calibers. And to top it off, the barrel life is acceptable. This relates to more shooting and essentially more practice and experience.

I am by no means a pro shooter and just past beginner stage. However I have 5 kids so that is priority #1. Shooting is my therapy in life and I am just starting out in PRS. Been casually shooting F/TR for a year. I have now the basic reloading equipment and 2 rifles. I just started building a Custom rifle at home on a Ultimatum Deadline action sitting in a MDT ACC with a TriggerTech Special trigger. The 6mm barrel will go on this rig (currently a savage heavy varmint barrel in 6.5 CM)

I am doing things slowly and when I have the resources. Most of my expenditure now is in components and practice.

As always, I appreciate the feedback and learn something new all the time on this forum

Reactions: camocorvette
For 600 yards and closer, definitely 6BR, although they can reach out beyond that.

I picked up a trued Remington with a Krieger barrel in 6BR on trade, and it is one of my favorites. The previous owner had modified a mag which still had issues. I tried a Magpul mag that I used in my 6x47L and it works great as long as the bolt is run fairly fast.

What's useful barrel life on a BR?
this depends more on your accuracy expectations and is also very barrel and load dependent...i pulled a 6BRA barrel at the beginning of the season last year at 2100 rounds it would still shoot a 1/2" pretty easily but barrels always seem to go at the worst times...my buddy pulled his barrel(6BRA)a month later at 2400 rounds it was at 3/4" but starting to throw random flyers.

Reactions: Stugots
Not running it at ragged pressure, you'll get 3k ish out of a BR

Reactions: Ledzep
I’d have to vote 6bra/6br. Loving mine. The creed is nice but it never sees use with the bra in the line up now. The lack of powder in comparison, the lack of recoil in comparison, and the absolute ease of loading is insane. Just so accurate

Last edited:
I went with the 6 GT. For the simplicity of it all. No fire forming, no feeding issues. Great barrel life. It’s stupid easy to load for and has many powders and bullets that work good in it.

Last edited:
I like to save money whenever possible, so I'd go with something that proof offers. $479 for a shouldered prefit barrel is a great deal. I think they offer dasher, creedmoor and ARC compatible with most actions. Dasher is probably the easiest option out of the 3 (better barrel life than the creedmoor, standard bolt and mags compared ARC, but you don't get factory ammo, unlike the other 2).

I've been running 6CM since I started shooting rifles a lot, and have been looking at switching to 6BR/Dasher/6GT/etc pretty much the whole time due to the usual reasons one hears, like: better barrel life, them generally being considered to be easier to load for, and them supposedly making it easier to self-spot impacts/splash due to less recoil...

Thing is, I haven't found 6CM difficult to load for at all, and running it ~2900fps with a healthy jump, barrels seem to last 2000+rds, maybe more like 2500rds + (took my last barrel off at 2300rds to put a fresh one on since I was selling the gun to a buddy and it was still 1/2moa at 100 and at 1000, whether it had 20 more good rounds in it or another 500, not sure, but it still shot great and had life left in it). In a 23lb rifle self-spotting isn't a problem at all. For 6CM finding components has been easy, even with Covid, and I've got more stuff than I probably need for at least another year or two and can even fire-form 22-250 to 6CM in one firing, and that brass is always out there.

I was leaning towards BR/Dasher, but a couple of guys I shoot with run them and their "flawless running mag kits" fuck up at least 1 or 2 times an outing with no clock and no match pressure on. So that has me looking at 6GT in order to not have to mess with mag kits, but do I really want to go to another cartridge with only a couple sources for brass to save maybe only ~3-5 grains of powder? IDK...

In a lot of ways, 6CM is just too easy to live with for me to make a switch...

Last edited:
I've been running 6CM since I started shooting rifles a lot, and have been looking at switching to 6BR/Dasher/6GT/etc pretty much the whole time due to the usual reasons one hears, like: better barrel life, them generally being considered to be easier to load for, and them supposedly making it easier to self-spot impacts/splash due to less recoil...

Thing is, I haven't found 6CM difficult to load for at all, and running it ~2900fps with a healthy jump, barrels seem to last 2000+rds, maybe more like 2500rds + (took my last barrel off at 2300rds to put a fresh one on since I was selling the gun to a buddy and it was still 1/2moa at 100 and at 1000, whether it had 20 more good rounds in it or another 500, not sure, but it still shot great and had life left in it). In a 23lb rifle self-spotting isn't a problem at all. For 6CM finding components has been easy, even with Covid, and I've got more stuff than I probably need for at least another year or two and can even fire-form 22-250 to 6CM in one firing, and that brass is always out there.

I was leaning towards BR/Dasher, but a couple of guys I shoot with run them and their "flawless running mag kits" fuck up at least 1 or 2 times an outing with no clock and no match pressure on. So that has me looking at 6GT in order to not have to mess with mag kits, but do I really want to go to another cartridge with only a couple sources for brass to save maybe only ~3-5 grains of powder? IDK...

I am in this region as well as I'm likely just over the half life of my current barrel. I love my Proof pre-fit 6.5 so do I move to dasher/BR to save a few grains where I'm starting from scratch to find SRP and brass? Meh right now my replacement will likely be another Proof pre-fit 6.5, but buddy has a slow twist BR that is hilariously awesome....out to 1200 it's a show stopper so that keeps my attention. Might even consider a Proof Dasher pre-fit.....or stay the same. It's just nice to have so many caliber options that are proven to really shoot great for a lot of folks.

Your last sentence sums up where I am today....my 6.5 is so flippin easy button why invite potential hassles into my life?

Your last sentence sums up where I am today....my 6.5 is so flippin easy button why invite potential hassles into my life?

Yeah, that's always kind of the deal... sort of a"cost to benefit analysis" as to whether going with any of the more hip 6mm's is really worth it. That's why I'm still on the fence I guess.

For someone already shooting 6.5CM, trying 6CM first seems like a no brainer, since for most all it'd require is a new bushing for their sizing die and a new stem for their seating die.

I don't count the "easy to load for" talk anymore. The longer I do this stuff the more I realize that there seems to be a lot of guys who are pretty good at shooting a rifle... but not nearly as many that are good at reloading for one too, ...starting to think the "easy to load for" tag really only means something to the guys who suck at reloading. 😜

When speccing out my current rifle last year, I went with 6XC because I had more LRP than SRP, and I've been able to source h4350 fairly easily, even if it's been at premium prices. I run it at 37.9gr of h4350 for 2930fps, and the recoil is tame and barrel life should be better vs the 3050fps most people run.

If I could reliably find varget and had enough to shoot out a barrel, and enough SRP (which I do now, thank goodness), I'd be all over the 6 BRA.

Reactions: CK1.0
Some really valid and interesting opinions here. And strangely enough I was contemplating this exact train of thought. Go with 6cm or even 6x47 or one of the br family. 🤔 Then there is the 6XC and 6GT. Honestly I am conflicted!

In the end of the day it will come down to availability of components and dies. I have been researching this and found that I will probably fall with something that have dies and brass readily available. So for me that would be 6br, 6cm or 6x47. 6xc is in the mix as well. 6GT is just too new and I have not been able to find dies for it. Same with the dasher. Dies are scarce.

I am not a top shooter so I will not see the difference in the 6br vs 6 dasher. As for effective range - I saw a video of someone hitting a milk jug at a mile with a 6br 😲

Yeah, that's always kind of the deal... sort of a"cost to benefit analysis" as to whether going with any of the more hip 6mm's is really worth it. That's why I'm still on the fence I guess.

For someone already shooting 6.5CM, trying 6CM first seems like a no brainer, since for most all it'd require is a new bushing for their sizing die and a new stem for their seating die.

I don't count the "easy to load for" talk anymore. The longer I do this stuff the more I realize that there seems to be a lot of guys who are pretty good at shooting a rifle... but not nearly as many that are good at reloading for one too, ...starting to think the "easy to load for" tag really only means something to the guys who suck at reloading. 😜
That is ME>. I suck at reloading and I even have a world class tutor. I'm passable, but let's just say no one is coming to me saying 'hey can I ask you a question on......'. Sure.....you mean how to do it wrong? I'll be here all week!

So my creed is running 3130 so I suspect closer to 1500-1800 rounds tops. The feeding is flawless of course and accuracy is great. The bra though after switching is just too much fun. Now I do get slight feed issues from time to time. One mag is flawless and the other is more then occasional feed problem. Frustrating yes, but pure accuracy and lack of recoil makes the gun too much fun to shoot.

So my creed is running 3130 so I suspect closer to 1500-1800 rounds tops. The feeding is flawless of course and accuracy is great. The bra though after switching is just too much fun. Now I do get slight feed issues from time to time. One mag is flawless and the other is more then occasional feed problem. Frustrating yes, but pure accuracy and lack of recoil makes the gun too much fun to shoot.

Think I'm probably going to shoot 6CM for my next barrel, but maybe the one after that I'll try a Dasher... I do really feel like I'm not really giving up too much running a "slow 6CM" at ~2900fps, but I also kind of do want to see for myself what all the fuss is about with the Dasher, so why not..

I'd honestly rather try 6BR, or maybe 6GT to avoid the wonky mag kits, but I'm digging the Proof prefit I'm running and plan on sticking with those until I have a reason not to because I'm getting top shelf performance for a blue collar price and that shit doesn't happen too often in this game. I already emailed Proof, and for their prefits, Dasher is the wildcat they chose to offer because it is/was the most popular and doesn't sound like they have ant plans to change that anytime soon.

Think I'm probably going to shoot 6CM for my next barrel, but maybe the one after that I'll try a Dasher... I do really feel like I'm not really giving up too much running a "slow 6CM" at ~2900fps, but I also kind of do want to see for myself what all the fuss is about with the Dasher, so why not..

I'd honestly rather try 6BR, or maybe 6GT to avoid the wonky mag kits, but I'm digging the Proof prefit I'm running and plan on sticking with those until I have a reason not to because I'm getting top shelf performance for a blue collar price and that shit doesn't happen too often in this game. I already emailed Proof, and for their prefits, Dasher is the wildcat they chose to offer because it is/was the most popular and doesn't sound like they have ant plans to change that anytime soon.

I wouldn’t really say your giving up much, but at those speeds you just aren’t using the caliber to its potential or to its benefits over the smaller 6’s. At that speed the bra, dasher and the gt easily hit it with 5-10gr’s less powder.

I don’t have any experience with the dasher but it was a toss up between the two. I went bra for 2 main reasons. First off was 2 brass choices with super easy fire forming or none at all. The dasher is 1 or more pain in the ass fire forming. Second was because exactly what I was looking to build, stumbled upon me used for a beyond outrageous price and couldn’t argue. Action, barrel, spare blank, dies, bushings, trigger all for less then just the action alone new.. in the caliber I wanted!!

I wouldn’t really say your giving up much, but at those speeds you just aren’t using the caliber to its potential or to its benefits over the smaller 6’s. At that speed the bra, dasher and the gt easily hit it with 5-10gr’s less powder.

I hear you and agree, but I think you also kind of brought up why I haven't switched...

Here's the thing: let's forget about that "using the caliber to its potential" stuff for minute... and "its benefits over smaller 6's" stuff too. Forget everything about running it up to ~3100fps with ~43grs of powder and all of that and the recoil that comes with it (and where, at those speeds, it is touchy and does earn the "tough to load for" rep).

For what? ...to save a couple of tenths with "better ballistics" but not really gain enough advantage to turn many misses into impacts, killing the barrel fast, and making it harder to self spot too. No thanks.

Loading 6CM to mimic the smaller 6's you get the same stuff: less recoil, it's easier to self-spot, etc, still shoots. Loaded "slow" and only looking to hang in the ~2800-2900fps zone (where 6BR/Dasher/6GT live), it really only ends up saving less than 5 grains of powder going to a smaller 6 (and that's shooting a heavier bullet in a 112/115gr). Specifically, if I were to switch to 6GT, it might not even be ~3 grains difference, that's it. Plus, loaded "slow", it becomes a piece of cake to load for, just like the smaller 6's. The recoil difference becomes negligible. Barrels no longer die young.

So, IDK, I still might try a Dasher, just still not sure it'd be worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Barrel life
I hear you and agree, but I think you also kind of brought up why I haven't switched...

Here's the thing: let's forget about that "using the caliber to its potential" stuff for minute... and "its benefits over smaller 6's" stuff too. Forget everything about running it up to ~3100fps with ~43grs of powder and all of that and the recoil that comes with it (and where, at those speeds, it is touchy and does earn the "tough to load for" rep).

For what? ...to save a couple of tenths with "better ballistics" but not really gain enough advantage to turn many misses into impacts, killing the barrel fast, and making it harder to self spot too. No thanks.

Loading 6CM to mimic the smaller 6's you get the same stuff: less recoil, it's easier to self-spot, etc, still shoots. Loaded "slow" and only looking to hang in the ~2800-2900fps zone (where 6BR/Dasher/6GT live), it really only ends up saving less than 5 grains of powder going to a smaller 6 (and that's shooting a heavier bullet in a 112/115gr). Specifically, if I were to switch to 6GT, it might not even be ~3 grains difference, that's it. Plus, loaded "slow", it becomes a piece of cake to load for, just like the smaller 6's. The recoil difference becomes negligible. Barrels no longer die young.

So, IDK, I still might try a Dasher, just still not sure it'd be worth the trouble.
is where you’ll come out a head. When I switched a few years ago to a 6mm from 6.5 I was originally intending on just going with 6 creed. Then I learned about the GT that was just coming out. No mag feeding issues and all that but there was an “advertised” 2500+ I figured if I could get anything over 2000 would be a plus compared to what……..1500-1700 on a 6cm? That’s an 800+ round difference. Now I’m sure dasher has decent round counts too but I don’t have experience with it. My first GT barrel made it to 3500 rounds with no velocity loss and still shot sub MOA.
Just something to consider.

Reactions: LR1845 and CK1.0
Is the new alloy from Bartlein which is promising improved barrel life starting to sway anyones decision back to 6cm? Has this possible change in barrel life changed the math in favor of another cartridge?

Is the new alloy from Bartlein which is promising improved barrel life starting to sway anyones decision back to 6cm? Has this possible change in barrel life changed the math in favor of another cartridge?
im shooting a MODD400 barrel now only 500 through it but no it would not make me want to shoot something else...i went smaller for better barrel life in the first place so now if i can double that better barrel life...well you see where im going.