• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6mmbr

r1rn04

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
GALAX, VA
been thinking of changing out the barrel on a 22-250 I have for a 6mmbr, hearing good things on this round, shoots like black magic Voodoo or so Ive been told, anyone on hear have any real world trigger time on one?

Re: 6mmbr

The 6mm BR is a fine cartridge! At any application, it is number 1

Great cartridge for BR. If you are looking for a mid range (300-1100yd) cartridge for practical shooting, I feel there's better choices.
I run a 6XC for more reliable mag feeding. The 6XC is almost hard to make shoot poorly. Mine shoots in the threes at a hundred rapid fire off a Harris, and hold half minute at 500 the same. In competent hands I'd imagine it could do better. That's just shooting the same load the guy shot I got it from too.

I saw a lot of 6X47's shooting very well in Oklahoma last month too...

Good point about not feeding from a magazine.

It's curious that no one has been able to figure that out.

frown.gif

Sober's right, there are now cases that feed straight from the mag and give equal or better performance 6xc / 6x47lapua even .243win etc.

You can get the BR to feed in a Rem SA - 3 round capacity(and a few others), but you have to use a .223 follower+spring and back spacer to push the round forward. Just about to finish load dev on Ratwife's BR (after 3 years.... been a little busy ;-) )

Seems like I've read 6BR feeds pretty well in 223 AICS magazines, but only 6-7 at at time...?

If you set it up correctly a 6BR will feed just fine.
I have never seen one that was not accurate. It is far more difficult to get one to shoot poorly that it is to get one to shoot well.

You can get a 6BR to feed from a AICS compatible magazine, but there is no Plug-n-Play system for it. Standard AICS mags or .223-AICS mags can be modified to fit and feed the 6BR, but then they will be cartridge specific to the 6BR and not usable for other cartridges.

Here's mine (although I just sold this stock)
DSC_0638.jpg

Stiller Predator action, Kreiger 24" 1:8 barrel and modified .308 AICS magazine

I am also thinking about a build. but cant decide between 6br or something in a 6.5mm any suggestions would be helpful.

If you want an ultra accurate single shot the 6BR is a great choice. As far as mag loading I haven't tried it but I do like my 6x47 in a tac-30.

I've owned and shot 6mm BR, 6XC, 6-6.5x47 Lapua and .243 Winchester. If I had to pick one, I'd use some variation of the 6.5x47 Lapua because the brass is so good. I never had to mess with the brass any, I just loaded it up and shot it. Very accurate and able to withstand a real beating. And those 6mm's are very low recoil rifles. Lots of fun all the way around. I just wish Lapua's brass wasn't so stupidly expensive!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratwhiskers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can get the BR to feed in a Rem SA - 3 round capacity(and a few others), but you have to use a .223 follower+spring and back spacer to push the round forward.</div></div>

I just did this conversion on my build and it works pretty good. As long as I don't get after it when chambering, feeding is good. I do get brass to bounce back into the action sometimes while cycling slow, I think due to the short case. But as long as I pull like I mean it and chamber smooth I have no problems.

Below is a link to the conversion Ratwhiskers mentioned.

http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/6BRMagazine.htm

With an hours work to an AI 223 mag they feed beautifully. I've put around 400 rounds through mine now and never had one misfeed or jam up. You can fit 6 easily or 7 at a squeeze.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAZ6-X5i-vo"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uAZ6-X5i-vo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I shoot a 6MMBR out of a Broughton 5C barrel, My gun seems very toucht with the 100+ grain bullets. But with the 88GR Berger flat base VLD it shoots lites out!

im thinking of rechambering in 6X47 Lap so i can mag feed. Also i have a 6.5x47 Lap thats the most accurate and the thing seems like i could just dump powder in the case on a guess and the thing will still shoot accurate.

hope this helps.

ok Ive done some reading on accutateshooter.com seems the 6mmbr is a great round, the 6.5 xc , creedmoor, and 47 are just as good, the 243 and 6mm remington reportedly have significantly shorter barrel life, as well as the 260 remington, 6.5x284. and 264 win mag. It would be nice to have the recoil of a 22-250 with the barrel life and range of the 308 at least a good 600yd gun. So many choices.

Finally I have decided, Gonna be a 6br, now for the platform Im either ganna buy a Cooper or build a rem 700. Also thinking of an 1 in 8 twist, what twist is everyone shooting, bullet weight, barrell taper. thinking of a heavy 24" #7 to big or to small?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally I have decided, Gonna be a 6br, now for the platform Im either ganna buy a Cooper or build a rem 700. Also thinking of an 1 in 8 twist, what twist is everyone shooting, bullet weight, barrell taper. thinking of a heavy 24" #7 to big or to small? </div></div>
Good choice, I've been using one for @ 3 yrs. now. Getting an extreme makeover at the moment: new bbl.; 1-8" twist, 26" (generally considered the minimum to push a 107gr. SMK out to 1,000 yds. reliably), med. Palma contour, new paint- a 3 color cerakote camo. I would say the accuracy starts to peak @ 3,000 rounds. I am using it for Tactical, XTC, and MR matches. Gary E. at CSS is re-building it for me. If you're interested in a tube gun stock this is the guy:
http://competitionshootingstuff.com/index.html

anyone know where to get a rem 700 bolt , my brother in law is working on a build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know where to get a rem 700 bolt , my brother in law is working on a build. </div></div>

Call PTG = Pacific tool & Gauge.