• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6mmBRX

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    I am looking at rhe BRX for my next match barrel. Anyone have any feedback on this round?

Good as any of the other 6BR wildcat variants. Jake Vibbert has been winning tons of PRS matches running one.

Good as any of the other 6BR wildcat variants. Jake Vibbert has been winning tons of PRS matches running one.

Any idea what bullet weight he is running or what other guys shooting the BR variants outside the dasher are running for PRS type competition? light bullets at upper 29's to 3000+ fps or heavier 105's and up at 28-2900 (sub 3000 fps) type range???

I think Jake is running Hornady 108's somewhere in the high 2800's or low 2900's.

I'm shooting 105 Hybrids at between 2930-2960 in both 6 Dasher and 6BRA barrels. Most guys shoot 105's, though a know a few that run the 110 SMK or 115 DTAC.

I’ve been playing with 115 dtac in a 6 br and with velocity I’m getting I almost can’t see the reason to go improved. That’s why I was curious.

I started with 95 smk for a practice load and shoots really well mild load at 2900 just not sure it’s quite as capable outside 6-700 yards. Then decided maybe try something heavy see where it goes

Reactions: tennturk
    I’ve been playing with 115 dtac in a 6 br and with velocity I’m getting I almost can’t see the reason to go improved. That’s why I was curious.

What velocity are you getting with what load and barrel length? Been thinking about doing the DTAC's myself.

My first one I’m running 105 Hybrids, .02 off the lands, w/ 33.3gn of Varget @3060ish. I’m at 2000 + rds and it’s still shooting 1/4”MOA easy & ive only lost 20fps over that time. 24” Bartlein 1-8twist

My 2nd is a 24” 1-7.7 Bartlein. Running 115 Dtacs @2830fps w/ 29.4gn Varget. The Dtacs didn’t shoot well until I got the barrel broke in. 1/2MOA to start, went down to about 1/4MOA or better after 300-400rds. The Dtacs seemed to shoot best for this barrel at about .04-.05 off the lands

Love the round...if I’m gonna run a 6MM this would be my first choice.
    Plus you can get hydroformed brass from Hunt’s.
    It’s a $1.50 rd, but when you figure components to load fire forming ammo & barrel life...it’s a no brainer.

Reactions: 260284
    My first one I’m running 105 Hybrids, .02 off the lands, w/ 33.3gn of Varget @3060ish. I’m at 2000 + rds and it’s still shooting 1/4”MOA easy & ive only lost 20fps over that time. 24” Bartlein 1-8twist

you must have a monster freebore to get case capacity for 33.3 grains eh? That's cooking with a 24 " barrel

Has anyone tried H4895 in the BRX or Dasher? I use it in my .223 and I like it better than Varget. Usually easier to get too.

Has anyone tried H4895 in the BRX or Dasher? I use it in my .223 and I like it better than Varget. Usually easier to get too.

I use it in my straight 6BR with great results, i am sure it would be just as good in either of those. 29.3gr has me at 2874fps with a 105 hybrid.

Reactions: 260284
    I use it in my straight 6BR with great results, i am sure it would be just as good in either of those. 29.3gr has me at 2874fps with a 105 hybrid.

That is really moving out of a straight BR. How long of a barrel?

That is really moving out of a straight BR. How long of a barrel?

26” hawk hill. Not a hot load so it’s probably just a quick barrel. I had it up to 2962 before I started getting a little sticky bolt lift.

Last edited:
    I'm using a 30" X-caliber prefit in 6BRX on my Savage Model 12 BR. I have been very happy with Sierra 107MK, 32.2gr of RL15, as 2942. 5 shots @ 100 yards.
    Capture2.JPG

Reactions: Codiekfx400

I started with 95 smk for a practice load and shoots really well mild load at 2900 just not sure it’s quite as capable outside 6-700 yards. Then decided maybe try something heavy see where it goes
    What’s your load for the 115 dtac in the 6br?

What’s your load for the 115 dtac in the 6br?

Node was from 31-31.2 of varget at 2835 from a 24” barrel lapua brass and suppressed. Didn’t have case capacity to play with seating depth, sitting right near a jam and compressed. Need a longer freebore to explore further, couldn’t get it to shoot as tight as I know it should, too much bullet in the case.

Reactions: Miguel7527
    Node was from 31-31.2 of varget at 2835 from a 24” barrel lapua brass and suppressed. Didn’t have case capacity to play with seating depth, sitting right near a jam and compressed. Need a longer freebore to explore further, couldn’t get it to shoot as tight as I know it should, too much bullet in the case.
    Thanks for the info! I’m currently running pretty much the same speed with my dasher as you. I just got my PVA barrel 6br 26” that I was hoping to push around the same speed as you.

I haven’t had time to fine tune it any more, hate to say I abandoned it but no more progress. Velocity was more than acceptable and it was pretty decent accuracy at 1000 yards. If I had another barrel done it would be longer FB. I think I’m gonna try 107’s out. Haven’t convinced myself to move away from 95 smk load that thing just shoots so good.

I haven’t had time to fine tune it any more, hate to say I abandoned it but no more progress. Velocity was more than acceptable and it was pretty decent accuracy at 1000 yards. If I had another barrel done it would be longer FB. I think I’m gonna try 107’s out. Haven’t convinced myself to move away from 95 smk load that thing just shoots so good.
    I would agree on the 95smk, I use them for my 6x45 and they shoot 1/4 moa consistently if I do my part. The 107smk shoot really good in my experience also but the 95smk are better in my opinion.

What kind of free bore are you running? Do you like shooting the br suppressed compared to a brake?

What kind of free bore are you running? Do you like shooting the br suppressed compared to a brake?

I’d have to check back on freebore to say for sure. I haven’t shot anything not suppressed since March when I got it back. So much more pleasant to shoot compared to the very effective but also very obnoxious brakes I was running. Tbac ultra 9 is super quiet and reduces recoil pretty well. I no longer have headache and ringing ears at end of a decent range trip or match. Is it slower to move on a barricade? Yeah but I will take the trade off. I’ve gone to 24” barrel instead of 26” and a brake added a couple. I got used to it.

Reactions: MilSpecOkie

Have the 95 TMKs at those speeds proved themselves at 800-1000 yards? Curious I'd they are still accurate and have enough ass to shake a plate at those distances?

Have the 95 TMKs at those speeds proved themselves at 800-1000 yards? Curious I'd they are still accurate and have enough ass to shake a plate at those distances?

Ive been hesitant to shoot a match with them. I’m at 4000-6000 DA most of the time and they perform decent but I would want to push them 3000-3050+ before relying on them for 800+ very often especially at lower elevation or DA’s. I wouldn’t feel at any disadvantage 800 and in where I’m at.

I didn’t realize your speed was at those altitudes. That could make a difference at my locations 1200’.