• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6mmSLR from Oz

Ackley Improved

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2006
AUSTRALIA
Being a big 6mm fan this lastest rifle came after a bit of research. I wanted a case that could push the 115 VLD's if I ever wanted, have the capacity, but also work well for OAL in the mag. The 6X47L was an option, but I liked the simplicity of using 243 brass. Either option had to be run through a die before using..... so after a little wait this is what I have.

Stiller TAC30 action
Mcmillan A4
Krieger 1:7.5 twist at 28"
Lumley DBM
Timney trigger
Seekins rings
Nightforce 5.5-22X56 MLR milrad.

Currently using rem brass due to the winchester available at my local shop have very poor flash holes!!! It formed and is working fine. Bullet of choice at the moment is Berger 105VLD hunting. I am happy with the way the rifle is working, but still think it could go a little tighter. Currently around 0.9" at 200m shot in tricky conditions.

I am happy with the rifle 100%. I am glad I chose the 6mmSLR. The longer neck really aids in OAL for mag, brass easily formed, and is accurate.

Next chance I get I want to take it out to 1000yds on steel and see how it performs. Will give an update with velocity and 1000yd accuracy at a later date!

IMGP0736.jpg

IMGP0745.jpg

IMGP0757.jpg

2012-01-05213302.jpg

Cheers

Re: 6mmSLR from Oz

Looks nice, interesting choice in the 6mmSLR,who imports the Stiller action into Aus?
Is that Victorian mountain side in the background?

Looks Good mate! I'm not even jealous yours is finished already LOL!!
Think i'll slim my build down after our chat! Going to run an A1-3 stock and Krieger #14 or similar contour barrel
It'll be good to know what powder and charge you settle on

Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks nice, interesting choice in the 6mmSLR,who imports the Stiller action into Aus?
Is that Victorian mountain side in the background?</div></div>

PESCO out of Queensland mate.

Looks good; I like the cartridge and have brass and dies in may garage for build.

Jeffvn

Nicely done, looks like you have yourself a shooter.

Powder? Which dies are you using?

I sent components off to gunsmith Jon Beanland yesterday. Plan on shooting the dtac's or the Berger 105 Hybrid's.

The 6mm SLR shoots! only 100yds, doing load testing. Single digit ES/SD's with unsorted brass and bullets. Just load and go. group is .114" not to bad.

1-30-12SLR.jpg

xdeano

Update on the 6mmSLR!

Was shooting a load I found off the net of 43.5 grains of H4831sc. Put over chrony and found it to be only 2940fps. A bit slow for my liking. I loaded up a few rounds and went in 0.3 amounts to 46 grains, and shot over chrony whislt doing a ladder test. There was a nice node seen around the 45grain mark, which also was at the velocity I wanted. The current load is 45 grains at 3070fps. I loaded up a few rounds and went to the range today to test.

Shot from bipods and no rear bag... left it on the bench at home (pisses me off)!!

8 shots total, clean bore shot and one retard shooter shot dropping it out low. I think you guys can see the potential of this rifle... shot at 300m. 10mm vertical, 53mm wind. This rifle shoots very very well.

I was going to cut the barrel back to 24", 28" now... but if shit aint broke I aint touching it! To much of a good thing going on right now!!!

slrtarget563x750.jpg

Cheers

ps. going on holiday to the US in September, goin to do a tour on the West coast. Who has some fun toys for me to play with?
grin.gif