• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6x barrel

anthonylapoint

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
central CT
I have the opportunity to pick up a 6x hart barrel in 26" in mint condition and excellent price complete with dies. I just want to know if 6x is a good round and if anyone has experience with them and recommends that round. If the experience is good, what loads were being used and what kind of performance were you getting. Drop at 1000 yard, fps, bc, etc... that type of stuff. Any advise will work and would be much appreciated.

Re: 6x barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Morris#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean 6xc?</div></div>

No he's referring to the 6x

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

"The 6XC (30-degree case shoulder) cartridge came about as a natural progression from shooting the original 6mmX. The 6XC has some features which I feel are more desirable compared to the 6mmX."

I did mean the 6x. Black ops is correct about the 6x. I believe, the 6xc is more of a redesign on the 6x for better feeding during competitions. The 30 degree shoulder helped with that, but I dont think there is any performance gain in ballistics though.

The 6X is the original cartridge David Tubb designed prior to the current 6XC. It was/is chambered with a 243 reamer held short and 22-250 brass fire formed. A special die is also required for FL sizing.

If the dies are part of the deal it's not too bad but, FFing will still be required. I'd opt for the 6XC as quality brass is available and no FFing required.

Good luck.

How easy would it be to turn it into a 6xc? Probably would need to be rechambered because of the shoulders, right? I see that tubb makes brass for the 6xc and its not to bad a price.

The dies do come with it as well as a competition recoil lug, so atleast one piece of the puzzle is done. I read that they need to be resized often as well but other then that headache, isnt it just buy 22-250 brass, load up with 115's and shoot. The neck fire forms once you fire it?

Its seems not many people are firing this round, is it already obsolete?

There are many threads where this has been discussed. Try the google search engine and you'll be busy for hours. I like all of the 6mm choices because they basically do everything and they do it with no recoil. I chose 6xc because it was almost as accurate as 6BR but had more oomph to get to 1000+yds and almost as powerful as .243 but with better barrel life. I built my gun to play in the various practical comps and the occasional f class fun shoot.

Glad to hear someone enjoys the 6xc. With how many good things I have read on the internet about it, its hard to say no. Im currently running .308 and I do enjoy the round but its time for to evolve. Looks like the .308 barrel is coming off. Anybody want a 24" .308 barrel with a RWS break?