• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x45 Bolt Rifle

Re: 6x45 Bolt Rifle

Thanks Bohem, I've read several of your posts in regard to ballistics. Very interesting read especially on the 6.5x47 post

i have built two 6x45ai rifles on short 700's. the first was a 10twist 22" pacnor. it would push the 80gr berger 3100 without issue. the next was a 27" 14 twist broughton. it would push the 60gr sierra 3600 and shoot TINY little groups. i am about to build two more on 1-8 twist barrels to shoot the 95 vld's and would love to see 2800fps or so. it is truly an underated cartridge and packs much more horsepower than the 22 version. i have opportunity at lots of pigs and deer through the course of a season and i really appreciated the extra energy. i think you are REALLY going to like it. i might suggest that you try h322. it made the best velocity and produced the best accuracy with all bullet weights in both rifles.

chuck

very interesting fellas.... hey Cowboy, I know you got one in a gas-gun and a bolt rifle on the way... what is your intention for the rifles? Competition? Hunting?

I know this is a bolt gun thread (and I like it!), but who is making the best pre-chambered 6x45 AR-15 barrels these days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just stay with the .224 caliber? What is the benefit of stepping the 45 case up to the 6mm bullet. To my mind it would decrease velocity because there is no increase in powder. Also the heavy .224 bullets have great BC. </div></div>

Not to mention the 6mm is legal to hunt in all states, whereas some states (Wyoming comes to mind) have a minimum caliber restriction that eliminates the option for a .224" rifle for large game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy_Coffee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a 20 inch stoner barrel from Midway for 219.00 and I am liking it. </div></div>

Thanks Cowboy, I have sent you a PM about this barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy_Coffee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any loads?....did u get your rifle in?</div></div>

This week probably.

Just a bit more info, 2870fps with the 95gr Bergers, seated at 2.5 OAL and IMR8208XBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if you have to ream the necks to remove donuts in this cartridge?</div></div>

I have not worried about that yet. Not having any issues at the moment.

just finished a 6tcu for hide member Snkbt. built on a trued 700 with a 22" rock creek 1-8. we shot it with the 95MK and made 3k fps with both h335 and imr4895 but pressures were much too high. it seems to be ok in the mid 2800's but varget and re15 proved to be too slow and you couldnt cram enough in the case to get pressure. h335 and imr4895 seem to be slightly too fast. i was thinking h4895 might be worth a try but if you can get 2870 with the 8208 in the 6x45, that is likely where we should go. one thing is for sure, the rifle wants to shoot. havnt found a bad load yet. he shot a few rounds at 600yds and it required 2moa less elevation with a 100yd zero than my 308 does with a 200yd zero. doesnt get much better in a 223 bolt face!

chuck

I haven't shot too many groups yet. Just no time to get stuff done lately. Every group is average or good, but we are searching for great right? And my Berger is jumping a long way to make that 1/2moa group.

I went over 3K with 8208XBR but you will not get enough to get any great speeds with H4895, there's just no room (in the 6x45). Over 3K = very bad in the pressure department.

I believe in temp stable powders there is none better than 8208XBR. Getting to 2800fps, with a 95gr bullet is exemplary for this little guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: selfbowhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just finished a 6tcu for hide member Snkbt. built on a trued 700 with a 22" rock creek 1-8. we shot it with the 95MK and made 3k fps with both h335 and imr4895 but pressures were much too high. it seems to be ok in the mid 2800's but varget and re15 proved to be too slow and you couldnt cram enough in the case to get pressure. h335 and imr4895 seem to be slightly too fast. i was thinking h4895 might be worth a try but if you can get 2870 with the 8208 in the 6x45, that is likely where we should go. one thing is for sure, the rifle wants to shoot. havnt found a bad load yet. he shot a few rounds at 600yds and it required 2moa less elevation with a 100yd zero than my 308 does with a 200yd zero. doesnt get much better in a 223 bolt face!

chuck </div></div>

That about sums it up. I think I am going to ditch my 223ai build and order yet another barrel in favor of the 6tcu
wink.gif

Are you using the ACIS 223 mag? any feed issues?

yes, he is useing the polymer aics mags. they seem to feed extremely well. spot, the tcu has 10% or more case capacity gain over the 6x45 and it you can make 2870 without undue pressure, i would expect to make mid 2900's with the tcu. i told Snkbt about the 8208. i hope he pics a pound up so we can give it a whirl.

chuck

Nice...just ordered in a reamer and gonna have a 243 varmint barrel cut down for the 6x45. I should hopefully start having some info shortly as well.

BTW I will never order another McGowen Barrel again! See one of my other posts about how that played out...it was the 6x45 I was building...

I'm also looking at putting one of these together. I'm thinking it would be just right for coyotes here in the southeast. So the 1-8 twist sounds like the way to go if you plan to shoot 85gr-100gr bullets-- right? I already have a Remington 700 with 223 bolt that I plan to use. Any extra info anyone could share would be appreciated.

Shane

My 6x45 is a little different. It's on a Sako L461 action so I can't get much more COL than the ARs. I used a 10" twist barrel, and have had good results with everything up to 100gr. You'll also gain a little velocity over an 8" twist. Less energy spent spinning the pill.

Thinking of a special order from Redding on a custom S-Match 6x45 die. Anyone else interested? OR if you know of a 6x45 neck bushing die that someones sell LMK. I have look all over and there is none I can find.

Hit me with a PM if you have interest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy_Coffee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You must be referring to my barrel...LOL....</div></div>

Funny, I am finally getting some time to play again.

Well, an 87gr Hornady BTHP can go over 3000fps with little pressure.

Just got die's etc... in from the holidays.

Just finished my 6x45 rifle. Have some ammo loaded up, but haven't snuck away to the range yet.

Anyway, here's a quick pic
Rem 700 action (origianlly from a 700P)
22" Benchmark #2 1:9 twist barrel
Shilen trigger
Mag box modified to permit longer COAL
Bansner Sheep Hunter stock (all work performed by me)
PTG bolt knob
Twistedbarrel Ti fluted bolt
DSC_0639-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just finished my 6x45 rifle. Have some ammo loaded up, but haven't snuck away to the range yet.

Anyway, here's a quick pic
Rem 700 action (origianlly from a 700P)
22" Benchmark #2 1:9 twist barrel
Shilen trigger
Mag box modified to permit longer COAL
Bansner Sheep Hunter stock (all work performed by me)
PTG bolt knob
Twistedbarrel Ti fluted bolt
DSC_0639-2.jpg
</div></div>

Looks like the same pics as the 223AI? Is it a switch barrel?

No. I built two nearly idential rifles - one a 223ai and this one. The 223ai used to be a varmint rifle with a Rem Varmint contour barrel that I had turned down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. I built two nearly idential rifles - one a 223ai and this one. The 223ai used to be a varmint rifle with a Rem Varmint contour barrel that I had turned down.</div></div>

Ah, I see, thanks.

How about we start a load post for 6x45?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skep_tic1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just stay with the .224 caliber? What is the benefit of stepping the 45 case up to the 6mm bullet. To my mind it would decrease velocity because there is no increase in powder. Also the heavy .224 bullets have great BC. </div></div>

I wonder the same thing. A 223 bolt gun shooting 80s is hard to beat. </div></div>

If the 308 Winchester was never necked up or down....we wouldn't have the 243, 260, 7-08, 338 federal or 358 Winchester!

I load 77gr BTHPs in .223 for AR-15

Can single-load 80, 85, or 90gr bullets. Not specifically "hunting", and maybe not approved in your state; but have recovered many shot at 2700fps into rocky soil backdrops and never seen one that broke apart. They bend like pretzels, but are damn tough... .02" in bullet diameter means zip in impact energy. Want to shoot deer w/a "hunting bullet"? There is the Nosler 60gr Partition or maybe a heavier Barnes or other premium bullet.

I endorse the 6mm/.22-250 AKA the 6mm International over any .308 size case as the case is only minimally overbore. There is also the 6mmXC.

A bolt rifle in .223 will do everything a 6x45 can do, if you get an 8 twist barrel. Could also go .22-250 with a fast twist barrel. For light loads, look into Cast Bullets. I have a 72gr .224 mold from NEI that is exceptional.

The 6.5 Grendel/LBC or 6mm AR also have lots going for them in the AR-15 platform. A 7mm Grendel could really be the ticket to all-around varmint & game rifle in AR-15 platform, giving you great accuracy and 8 or 15 rd magazine capacity. Easier to make an AR shoot precisely than it is to gunsmith a bolt rifle anyway.

Might look at a single-shot Donaldson Wasp or .225 win necked up to 6mm.

Best of luck and lots of fun down there in New Mexico!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a bit more info, 2870fps with the 95gr Bergers, seated at 2.5 OAL and IMR8208XBR. </div></div>

what bbl length is that?

I really like my .223AI shooting 75gr Amax at 3k+ but 2800-2900 with a 95gr sounds pretty great too for a mild shooting cheap to run rifle.

Seekins DBM magkit lets you run over 2.55" OAL, it's what I have on my .223AI

checked some numbers and I think I'll stick with the .223AI for my uses, don't think the slight BC edge of the 95's in 6mm give enough over the extra speed of the 75's in 224 to make it worth it, much the same in ballistics. Extra impact signature might be nice on steel but I think the 75's (amax) are better for expansion in small furry things

which reminds me I have 200 fireformed cases to load and shoot and a new suppressor to test

It's a hard life

tag...thinking about a 6x45 bolt myself, 2800fps with a 95gr SMK looks pretty good.

bevan,

i LOVE the 223ai but it WILL NOT run with a 6tcu the 95mk! .480bc at 2950+++. friend of mine shot it in a steel match out to 875 and did very well with it especially considering it was his first match and first time behind the rifle. it doesnt have near the sound signature the bigger guns does and that can make hits difficult to call especially in wind. i wouldnt call it even close to and ideal straight up match rifle but it will do MANY things, including vaporizing little critters, and still have the horsepower for the big ones. YMMV but having owned several 223ai rifles i can say that the 6TCU is just more versativle overall.

chuck