• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X45 Dies

MyDogsHunt

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2011
Hello all.
First post, so I hope this is in the right place.
Hate to get smacked down before I get started.

Anyway,,,, here's my question.
Can I use 223 bushing dies for the 6X45? (Redding Type S)
Seems to me that as long as I swap the bushing and expander stem to the appropriate size it should work.
Naturally I'd swap the stem in the seater die to 6MM also.

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to spruce up a new SPS in 223 to my liking, but I'd like to shoot it in 223 form for a while I get the mods done and save up the funds to rebarrel.
Therefore I'd like to use the Type S die set in 223 form until I'm ready, and then modify em to work with the 6X45 round if at all possible.

FYI,,, I plan to use a K&M mandrel to form brass.
Any problems there?

Thanks
Charlie

Re: 6X45 Dies

You may run into an issue with the bushing die in the body not being big enough to pass the fired 6mm neck with a 223 die.

If that's the case the fix is easy, just have your gunsmith run a little boring bar through the die sleeve to make sure that it can pass a fired 6mm neck into the sizing bushing.

I don't know that this will be an issue, I DO know that guys converting 300 RUM dies to 338 Edge dies ran into it in the past and it required some minor machine work to fix the issue.

I believe that Redding will do the changes for you too for a relatively nominal fee. New sleeves for the bushing type neck sizing dies are about $20, so if you want to go back to a 223 at some point it's as easy as ordering a new one (or running with the modified one, since I highly doubt it would be an issue either way)

Not sure what you mean.
I'm wanting to use a 223 "Bushing Die". The body never changes, but the "Neck Bushings" are interchangable from 17cal to 338.

Or am I missing something here?
Isn't a 6X45 simply a 223 case necked up to 6mm?
Thanks

The bushing die has a guide inside of it which the neck passes through untouched, much like a Body Die. The clearance on the neck is small though, usually not more than what a standard chamber is setup as.

Imagine trying to stuff a 6-223 into a regular 223 chamber, that's the same problem in the die.

Bushing sizer die has interchangeable "neck" but the shoulder of the die stops just short of where the "neck" would be. Might need to have die modified a bit to allow the larger neck of the 6X45 cartridge to pass through the neck/shoulder junction area to get to the bushing.

Give Redding a call, they can tell you how much is clearance is present in the 223 bushing die for going up in caliber. IF die needs to be opened up a bit, they can probably help you out there also. Worst case find a machine shop and have them open up the shoulder/neck area of die.

Got it.
I didn't realize the opening was caliber specific.
Learned something today,,, thanks.

I wonder if Forster's Bushing/Bump die is the same?
Probably is. I prefer Forster dies and know for positave that they'll hone a die for less than it costs to ship it to em.
I'll call them first and try Redding if it's a no-go with Forster.

Thanks again for enlightening me.