• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 6X47 Lapua vs 6BR

grit

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Utah
Time for a nice 6. I'm considering the two calibers mentioned. Rifle components will include Darrel Holland stock (like the McMillan BDL), Surgeon RSR, and a Brux #5. That's the size and shape. Sort of packable size hunting / varminting / plinking rig. Might shoot f class or other informal long range comps too.

Mostly I play around hunting or "field practicing" at long range. 600 yards plus, mostly PLUS. I plan to run a 105 - 115 type bullet.

I'm just looking for some conversation about any advantages one has over the other, real or imagined. Barrel life, terminal performance, versatility, ease of loading.... whatever.

Thanks for the input.

Re: 6X47 Lapua vs 6BR

The lapua version will work out of any 308 based action and mag,

a 6 mm BR might have a slight precision advantage however feeding is a b---- with that round and in practical use I have a hard time seeing that any one will shoot well enough to se a difference,

just have it done right and all is well.

Nice project.

Best regards Chris

don't know on the 6BR, but the 6x47 is a good shooter. Mine is 7.5 twist and shoots the 105 and 115's good.

current load is 105 at 3146fps 5600asl

my specs:

Stiller Predator action
Stiller 20 MOA rail
Krieger 7.5 twist light palma barrel at 26"
Jewell HVR at 15 oz.
McMillan Classic stock
HS bottom metal
Cerakote black

stiller.jpg

6x47_Lapua.jpg

I really like the 243 AI too ! They are shooters
grin.gif

115 dtacs at 3228 fps and 105's at 3341 fps same asl

outta 26" barrel too.

I use both of my 6mm's for the same thing. Coyote hunting and general deer/antelope. Great in the wind, and easy to pack, shoot and load for.

hope this helps some...
cool.gif

Dont forget to look at the 6XC...turn key brass(Norma) Tubb did it right when he designed this one. I have one on a Surgeon action, Bartlein bbl. Shooting 105 scenars at 3100fps.

I've been running a 21.5" barreled 6br for a while now, mag feeding it from a seekins dbm with 223 mags, feed lips opened up a bit, feeding is flawless. 105 amax's at 2840 with just over 30gr of powder. I think in a 6br the extra speed of a 105 will probably trump the 115.

Thanks for the feedback. That rifle's about perfect.

Any comment on 115 availability? Is it an issue?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like the 243 AI too !</div></div>

The .243 needs less powder capacity, not more. Also, the case is too long for long range bullets. That is what the 6XC and 6x47 fix.

I picked the 6br on it's rep for being easy to pick loads for and excellent brass right out of the box, and accuracy, even though the 6x47 only takes a single pass through dies to resize for it and in a good barrel I doubt if I COULD (not you) tell the dif.

My builder is jumping up and down trying to convince me to go 6x47. Not a competitor on the range myself, so it's pretty much what YOU want it for.

Me, I was just wanting a varminter, plinker, close range deer round, cheaper to shoot and less "WHAMMM" when I pulled the trigger to shoot year round.

I'm being told the 6x47 is approx 200 fps faster per bullet used so if I WAS THE ONE picking for a round for over 500, Id probably go that route. The 6br does it in great form, accuracy wise, but for THAT long of a range (live in farm country here)Id want the added oooommpphhh for varminting. But that's me.

Just my 2 cents.