• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

Appalachian, I have your Begara on the results and the VPT MTR updated. That CZ is a very good shooting rifle! I do not know anything about the ARA Factory Class rules (or any ARA rifles for that matter), why is it not legal next year?

Reactions: Appalachian
Appalachian, I have your Begara on the results and the VPT MTR updated. That CZ is a very good shooting rifle! I do not know anything about the ARA Factory Class rules (or any ARA rifles for that matter), why is it not legal next year?
So ARA Factory has a $1000 MSRP limit. However until 2023 there has been an exception that all CZ’s were legal. This is because some CZ’s that were under the limit in 2020 weren’t after when the MSRP of said rifles were raised by CZ. I think it was also because they’re all the same barreled actions the only thing that put them over the MSRP limit was the Manners and MDT stocks.

For 2023 the MSRP limit is being raised to $1250 and enforced even with CZ’s. Early in the season I won a couple matches and had high aggregates withe the 457 VPT MTR, but in the wind the short barrel was more affected so I switched over to my 457 VPC 24”. I used it most of the season, won matches, high aggs. The last match I shot I had a new rest set up for the VPC (had been shooting bipod). I hadn’t actually tried the set up yet. When I was setting up for the first target I realized I didn’t have enough adjustment so I pulled out the VPT MTR and used my fouling Ammo (SK Pistol Match and came in second. I’ve never lot tested for the VPT MTR (did for the VPC) I’m glad I didn’t now because I can’t use it anymore anyway.

People have been saying for the past couple years it’s not fair that the more expensive CZ’s were allowed but not the Bergara B14R and that the Berg would kick ass and dominate if allowed in. I don’t think that’ll be the case at all. I know of two notable Factory competitors that have bought and sold B14R’s already.

I don’t think the average B14R is any more accurate than the average CZ 457 or Tikka T1X. We shall see. A couple thing that the Berg has an advantage in is weight and trigger. They’re heavier and they will fit 700 triggers. The Jewell I put in mine measures 1.2oz consistently, same reading every pull. Consistent ignition is super important in Rimfire. I’ve never measured a trigger that consistent. Still if the barrel isn’t any better it won’t help a whole lot. Navigating from bull to bull will be easier with the B14 though.

I’ve just amassed all the parts I need for my UL build. I can’t wait to shoot some 6x5’s with it.

So ARA Factory has a $1000 MSRP limit. However until 2023 there has been an exception that all CZ’s were legal. This is because some CZ’s that were under the limit in 2020 weren’t after when the MSRP of said rifles were raised by CZ. I think it was also because they’re all the same barreled actions the only thing that put them over the MSRP limit was the Manners and MDT stocks.

For 2023 the MSRP limit is being raised to $1250 and enforced even with CZ’s. Early in the season I won a couple matches and had high aggregates withe the 457 VPT MTR, but in the wind the short barrel was more affected so I switched over to my 457 VPC 24”. I used it most of the season, won matches, high aggs. The last match I shot I had a new rest set up for the VPC (had been shooting bipod). I hadn’t actually tried the set up yet. When I was setting up for the first target I realized I didn’t have enough adjustment so I pulled out the VPT MTR and used my fouling Ammo (SK Pistol Match and came in second. I’ve never lot tested for the VPT MTR (did for the VPC) I’m glad I didn’t now because I can’t use it anymore anyway.

People have been saying for the past couple years it’s not fair that the more expensive CZ’s were allowed but not the Bergara B14R and that the Berg would kick ass and dominate if allowed in. I don’t think that’ll be the case at all. I know of two notable Factory competitors that have bought and sold B14R’s already.

I don’t think the average B14R is any more accurate than the average CZ 457 or Tikka T1X. We shall see. A couple thing that the Berg has an advantage in is weight and trigger. They’re heavier and they will fit 700 triggers. The Jewell I put in mine measures 1.2oz consistently, same reading every pull. Consistent ignition is super important in Rimfire. I’ve never measured a trigger that consistent. Still if the barrel isn’t any better it won’t help a whole lot. Navigating from bull to bull will be easier with the B14 though.

I’ve just amassed all the parts I need for my UL build. I can’t wait to shoot some 6x5’s with it.
Interesting, thank you for the info. I look forward to your unlimited rifle! Care to share the details of the build?

Interesting, thank you for the info. I look forward to your unlimited rifle! Care to share the details of the build?
Well. I actually will eventually build two. I will keep the better shooter and sell the other. Keep that between us ok. I have two actions, a Stiller 2500X and a Turbo V3. These are the two most used actions in UL benchrest. It’s kind of like Ford and Chevy. I have on order a Rotex stock from Randy Owens at Precision Woodcrafting. It’ll be a few months before I get it. It’ll be used for the 2500X since he pre beds them. He works out of Stiller’s shop.
I recently got lucky and got a new McMillan Straightline Edge solid fill stock. These are unobtainium for a while now and is probably the most widely used stock. I’ll use it for the Turbo action.
I have a Muller 4MI barrel on order, depending on how long it takes I’ll probably use it on the Turbo. I also have two Shillen Ratchet barrel blanks. One of them I plan on having put on a CZ for NRL22 just don’t know which one yet. That a whole other thing. I’ve yet to shoot NRL22 and there has been a hold out on my club’s 300 yard range (some numb nuts allegedly shot over a hill and hit a house down the road) unless I can practice there I won’t shoot start shooting NRL22.
Anyway I have two Harrel’s Rimfire tuners and two Jewell BR triggers. I’m just waiting on a day off to drive up to Ohio and drop them off to be put together by one Mr. John Langley.

Anschutz 1416P, 100 yards, SK Biathlon Sport, Average of .872, best group of .490. Who needs a rifle?

Anschutz1416P.jpg
12132022target.jpg

Figured I’d go to the indoor range today since the winds are 15-20. Was really hoping that not too many people would be in the 100yd bay but nope full house lol. New Shilen ratchet on the RimX so at least I got some rounds down the barrel. Hoping it’ll tighten up a bit more once I get more rounds on it. Had left shoulder surgery last Tuesday so I’m going to use that as an excuse.

RimX
Shilen Ratchet @ 24”
PDC chassis
Bix & Andy TacSport pro 8oz
Vortex Razor Gen II
Lapua Center X
50 yards indoors
Bottom row
.2733 avg
Smallest .126

2 different lots of Center X
1 X-Act
1 Midas +
DA7DA392-083E-4AE8-9B7E-F543606E5A79.jpeg

6F5FA9FA-7C55-41D4-9990-CEC9E282F6DB.jpeg

Last edited:
Figured I’d go to the indoor range today since the winds are 15-20. Was really hoping that not too many people would be in the 100yd bay but nope full house lol. New Shilen ratchet on the RimX so at least I got some rounds down the barrel. Hoping it’ll tighten up a bit more once I get more rounds on it. Had left shoulder surgery last Tuesday so I’m going to use that as an excuse.

RimX
Shilen Ratchet @ 24”
PDC chassis
Bix & Andy TacSport pro 8oz
Vortex Razor Gen II
Lapua Center X
50 yards indoors
Bottom row
.2733 avg
Smallest .126

2 different lots of Center X
1 X-Act
1 Midas +
View attachment 8022222
View attachment 8022224
I get better results outdoors in low to moderate (but steady) wind than I do indoors, especially when others are shooting. Every time I shoot close to the same time as anyone else on the range it throws the shot off.

I get better results outdoors in low to moderate (but steady) wind than I do indoors, especially when others are shooting. Every time I shoot close to the same time as anyone else on the range it throws the shot off.
Agreed, I have shot rimfire a bit indoors and notice some strange results. I attribute what I was seeing to the ventilation system.

Agreed, I have shot rimfire a bit indoors and notice some strange results. I attribute what I was seeing to the ventilation system.
We have a 25 yard indoor range a couple miles from the house, which gets more of my attention than driving 45 minutes to the outdoor range. It could be the ventilation system, but my money would be on the air being disrupted by centerfire that fills most of the range.

When I have the range to myself, on those rare occasions, I don't see much deviation...but when there are 6 other lanes of people shooting as fast as they can with centerfire, it's a bit more challenging to have a clean shot. 🤷‍♂️

I totally agree, especially when I’m shooting groups at 100yds indoors.
I have shot indoors for the past few months, in preparation for a National Indoor match. A suggestion: Take a thin piece of surveyors tape, staple it to your target backer, so you can see if there is any significant airflow near your target. Just a thought...

Also, did you use the Midas for the last row?

Thanks!

I have shot indoors for the past few months, in preparation for a National Indoor match. A suggestion: Take a thin piece of surveyors tape, staple it to your target backer, so you can see if there is any significant airflow near your target. Just a thought...
Thanks, never thought of that. There’s times my groups will move around horizontally and I’ve always figured it was the air system.

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Hello all, it makes me a bit sad to say that I am going to have to step down from managing this thread for the upcoming 2023. My life is about to get a little crazy come summer, two kids graduating high school with one starting college and one taking a well earned gap year to travel, I will be relocating from Maine to somewhere in the Southeast (still trying to decide where), plus once I move I’ll need to find new employment in hopefully a new career field. So that is to say I would like to hand off this thread to someone who would like to take it over. Obviously feel free to change it however you see fit.

Managing this thread for so many years has allowed me to virtually meet some amazing people and witness a lot of really good shooting. I will miss it, but hopefully I will have time to participate occasionally.

Feel free to post here or message me if you are interested. Thank you all for your time and support - Jesse Bell

Appreciate your efforts for all these years. If you change your mind, and want to move to the Midwest, Wisconsin would be happy to have you

Thanks for everything you've done and best wishes for the future. Ohio's usually pretty good, but you probably don't want to be here for the next few days. ;)

Reactions: CBeck
Then South Dakota is really out then……

Fair winds and following seas, brother. Thank you just doesn’t seem enough for all the knowledge, energy and time you gave to us.

Thank you, it's been my pleasure. Semper Fi

Well thank you for doing it all this time. I had fun trying to best myself. Good luck in your future endeavors! Kentucky is nice.

jbell, please know that your efforts have provided a vast amount of pleasure for a lot of shooters out there. You will be missed!

Also, good luck in your new endeavors! Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!

Very best regards and thank you very much!

RFS99

Folks, I reached out to JBell for permission (which he agreed to) to resurrect a match that has a similar 6x5 format. I have incorporated this match into the William Buck Memorial Postal Matches now, and starting in January, 2023, you can shoot a 6x5 group match if you're interested. Please find the details, rules and match target at the link below. I have also copied over all the prior results to this thread as well, in case you want to look back on the history of his 6x5 thread results.

Best regards to JBell,

RFS99

View attachment 8069560
RIM-X 22" Lothar Walther barrel 1:12 twist ELEY MATCH
1.866" AVG @ 200 yards.
Smallest group was 0.789"
Damn good shooting! Unfortunately I decided to no longer run this thread. You may want to post it over here, Larry is running a very nice thread:

Reactions: BisSilent
Well. I actually will eventually build two. I will keep the better shooter and sell the other. Keep that between us ok. I have two actions, a Stiller 2500X and a Turbo V3. These are the two most used actions in UL benchrest. It’s kind of like Ford and Chevy. I have on order a Rotex stock from Randy Owens at Precision Woodcrafting. It’ll be a few months before I get it. It’ll be used for the 2500X since he pre beds them. He works out of Stiller’s shop.
I recently got lucky and got a new McMillan Straightline Edge solid fill stock. These are unobtainium for a while now and is probably the most widely used stock. I’ll use it for the Turbo action.
I have a Muller 4MI barrel on order, depending on how long it takes I’ll probably use it on the Turbo. I also have two Shillen Ratchet barrel blanks. One of them I plan on having put on a CZ for NRL22 just don’t know which one yet. That a whole other thing. I’ve yet to shoot NRL22 and there has been a hold out on my club’s 300 yard range (some numb nuts allegedly shot over a hill and hit a house down the road) unless I can practice there I won’t shoot start shooting NRL22.
Anyway I have two Harrel’s Rimfire tuners and two Jewell BR triggers. I’m just waiting on a day off to drive up to Ohio and drop them off to be put together by one Mr. John Langley.
John is a great guy, he is 20 min from me. I used to stop & see him at least once a month, but haven’t in about 6 months. Have shot quite a few of his rifles & they are beautiful shooters. he Used to build a very fine 1911 also

John is a great guy, he is 20 min from me. I used to stop & see him at least once a month, but haven’t in about 6 months. Have shot quite a few of his rifles & they are beautiful shooters. he Used to build a very fine 1911 also
I picked up my Turbo from him. He even zeroed my scope and found a tune. I expect the 2500x in a week or so. I enjoy talking to him. Seems like I always learn something.