• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

1badDart, nice shooting. I have you on the results with the 40X. I would love to see a side picture of the rifle.

Thanks. I'll try to get some photos, she's been used. The previous owners dad bought it from the CMP in 2004.

The 0.403" on my smallest group was outside to outside, center to center should be 0.180" using . 223 as the bullet diameter.

Thanks, Justin.

Thanks. I'll try to get some photos, she's been used. The previous owners dad bought it from the CMP in 2004.

The 0.403" on my smallest group was outside to outside, center to center should be 0.180" using . 223 as the bullet diameter.

Thanks, Justin.
Roger that. I have it changed now. Thanks for the heads up

Well in anticipation of my vudoo components coming in, I decided to try again with the all stock MTR. Hopefully my next submissions are better and coming from a new vudoo.

50 yards
Center-X
Avg. .308
Best .219

Switched to the 100 yard. I was a Little too late in the morning as the winds picked up for this evening’s storms. I was measuring gust of 5 to 12 miles an hour on the kestrel.

100 yard (held 7 MOA elevation)
Center-X
Avg. .719
Best .625

I tried to chase the bullseye after the first two rounds of five considering I was right on the edge of the paper. I’m thinking 25 power might not be enough for my eyes at 100. Given my 50 yard average, what is the consensus on the 100 yard? Am I that bad of a shooter, or is the gun and ammo combo not that great?I’ve got roughly 5000 rounds through the gun and never cleaned it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 136
Well in anticipation of my vudoo components coming in, I decided to try again with the all stock MTR. Hopefully my next submissions are better and coming from a new vudoo.

50 yards
Center-X
Avg. .308
Best .219

Switched to the 100 yard. I was a Little too late in the morning as the winds picked up for this evening’s storms. I was measuring gust of 5 to 12 miles an hour on the kestrel.

100 yard (held 7 MOA elevation)
Center-X
Avg. .719
Best .625

I tried to chase the bullseye after the first two rounds of five considering I was right on the edge of the paper. I’m thinking 25 power might not be enough for my eyes at 100. Given my 50 yard average, what is the consensus on the 100 yard? Am I that bad of a shooter, or is the gun and ammo combo not that great?I’ve got roughly 5000 rounds through the gun and never cleaned it.
BigRed308 - from my perspective, you're shooting pretty good with the MTR. If you check the first posting page of this thread, you'll see "current" results on the 50 and 100 yard shooters. I check the averages and at 50, they run from 0.153 to 0.508, so you're in the middle of the pack with your score. At 100, they run from 0.571 to 1.018, so you're also mid-pack with your 100 results. Good shooting, if you ask me. If you check your targets, you'll see that in both distances, you're not seeing flyers in your groups. Nice and consistent group shape and size.

I agree on your 25 power scope. I shoot with an Athlon Argos BTR 10x40 scope and it helps a lot in seeing the targets at both 50 and 100. I recently purchased this scope to replace a Mueller 8x32 and the Athlon gives me a better view of the targets.

Good shooting!

I agree on your 25 power scope. I shoot with an Athlon Argos BTR 10x40 scope and it helps a lot in seeing the targets at both 50 and 100. I recently purchased this scope to replace a Mueller 8x32 and the Athlon gives me a better view of the targets.

How do you like your Athlon scope? I just ordered the Gen2 Argos BTR 10-40x56 like yours. Can't wait for it to come in next week . Looking forward to having the zero stop, that's a nice feature and I like the reticle it comes with. I may have to order a 0 MOA riser as mine currently has a 30 MOA riser on it, and I'm not sure if I will be able to zero the scope at 50 yds. We shall see! Can't wait for the local range to open back up so I can try a 6x5 at 50 and 100 yds.

BigRed308, I agree, great shooting with the MTR!

Maybe I’m just being negative towards the MTR. I mean it is a $700 rifle that I’m trying to hang with $1300 actions plus the barrel.

I guess looking back on my shooting, my 100 yard groups are about double my 50 yard groups. I was just disappointed at those handful of outlier shots. I have my vudoo being setup and I’m really considering a GE for higher magnification.

I appreciate the reassuring words.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m just being negative towards the MTR. I mean it is a $700 rifle that I’m trying to hang with $1300 actions plus the barrel.

I guess looking back on my shooting, my 100 yard groups are about double my 50 yard groups. I was just disappointed at those handful of outlier shots. I have my vudoo being setup and I’m really considering a GE for higher magnification.

I've read here that typically 50 yds. will be about 1/3 the size of 100 yds., not 1/2. Not sure if that true or not, but seems to fall in line for some folks.

Reactions: BigRed308
How do you like your Athlon scope? I just ordered the Gen2 Argos BTR 10-40x56 like yours. Can't wait for it to come in next week . Looking forward to having the zero stop, that's a nice feature and I like the reticle it comes with. I may have to order a 0 MOA riser as mine currently has a 30 MOA riser on it, and I'm not sure if I will be able to zero the scope at 50 yds. We shall see! Can't wait for the local range to open back up so I can try a 6x5 at 50 and 100 yds.

BigRed308, I agree, great shooting with the MTR!
I like it very much. I purchased mainly for the reticle, which makes it very easy to hold-off while shooting. My Mueller has a target dot, which is nice for straight shooting, but if you need to hold-off for wind adjustments, it's a guess since there are no hash-marks on the reticle. I have found it to be very clear as well. I have a 25 MOA scope base and I removed the stop washer. I mark the turrent with the 50, 100 and 200 zero positions, so don't use the stop.

I appreciate the reassuring words.
My pleasure. I know you will like the Vudoo when it arrives and you get it to the range. Very nice rifle and it shoots with amazing accuracy, with the right ammo.

Any shooting at 100 yards and up is much more influenced by the winds, so be prepared to be patient and use a wind flag if you have one. I have a friend who shoots a CZ457 ProVarmint, and it's very accurate with Lapua Center-X ammo.

Good luck and enjoy the Vudoo!

Reactions: BigRed308
I wasn't going to shoot groups this weekend, because my main goal was to try out the new A-TIP bullet for my 338Edge, but I broke out the Vudoo in between shooting the Edge and shot these groups:

1587921987607.png

Not as good as the last time I was out, but still pretty good considering I was getting knocked around by shooting my 338 and the winds were blowing instead of being calm like last week.

Then I tried 100 yards:

1587922148927.png

Not sure what happened on group 2. Oh well, I was pretty happy with the results. I was running out of time, but for giggles I tried one group at 200 yards:

1587922255285.png

I seem to be a consistent 1/2 moa shooter no matter the range. :cool: Next time I go out, I will try to shoot a 6x5 at 200.

Damn Steelhead, your smoking it. I have you on the 100 yard results and look forward to seeing the 200 yard when you shoot it. Nice job

I wasn't going to shoot groups this weekend, because my main goal was to try out the new A-TIP bullet for my 338Edge, but I broke out the Vudoo in between shooting the Edge and shot these groups:

View attachment 7309114

Not as good as the last time I was out, but still pretty good considering I was getting knocked around by shooting my 338 and the winds were blowing instead of being calm like last week.

Then I tried 100 yards:

View attachment 7309119

Not sure what happened on group 2. Oh well, I was pretty happy with the results. I was running out of time, but for giggles I tried one group at 200 yards:

View attachment 7309121

I seem to be a consistent 1/2 moa shooter no matter the range. :cool: Next time I go out, I will try to shoot a 6x5 at 200.
What barrel/contour and trigger are you shooting on your Vudoo?

View attachment 7309114

Then I tried 100 yards:

View attachment 7309119

View attachment 7309121

Steelhead, I don't want to hijack the thread, but want to ask what app you use to measure the groups? Is it a phone app?
Thanks for your help
Kevin

Steelhead, I don't want to hijack the thread, but want to ask what app you use to measure the groups? Is it a phone app?
Thanks for your help
Kevin

Hi Kevin, no problem. I've been using OnTarget for the PC. I've had it for a long, long time. It seems to work for my needs. I know some phone apps now have group measurement tools, like Ballistic-X.

Reactions: Flint62a1
What barrel/contour and trigger are you shooting on your Vudoo?

Rimfireshooter99,

To be honest I don't know what barrel brand they used. I bought this from a local dealer as a barreled action they had in stock. I believe it is the Kukri contour and is 20" long. I've been using the Timney Calvin Elite custom trigger. (the one with the various trigger shoes). I've been thinking about changing it to a 2-stage trigger, as I have some 2 stages on my other rifles and really like the two stage on those rifles. Here is a picture of it:

1587933853099.png

Reactions: Rimfireshooter99
Well if being dead last means having my name on a list among the greats, I'll do it.

First attempt ever at shooting the 6x5 today. First try was CCI SV...averaged 1.01. I then tried Eley 'Yellow' box.. Had only one 50 CT boxof it.. and averaged .86. I am posting that. My front action nut is stripped,I need to get it welded.

50 yards.
Savage Mark II in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock with my own bottom metal, factory trigger.
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56
Prone
Blackhawk bipod
Homemade rear bag
Shot inside an empty building, doors were all open and a small breeze was blowing thru. Took a ten minute break between groups 3 and 4..I shouldn't have! Gonna get the action stud welded and try again..really hoping to get this group pushed off the chart shortly.
IMG_20200426_132158968.jpg

shot_1587929064185.jpg

Drglock, nice improvement I have your results updated.

Farmerdanss, welcome! I have you on the results.

First 6x5 with my Kidd Supergrade, and first time shooting Center-X through it.
Fired 20 fouling rounds, prior to shooting for groups.
Certainly room for improvement, and wanted to get a baseline on it.
This rifle is relatively lightweight, in it's current configuration.
I'm considering a bull barrel, and a Titan stock, sometime in the near future.....

Reactions: Steelhead
First 6x5 with my Kidd Supergrade, and first time shooting Center-X through it.
Fired 20 fouling rounds, prior to shooting for groups.
Certainly room for improvement, and wanted to get a baseline on it.
This rifle is relatively lightweight, in it's current configuration.
I'm considering a bull barrel, and a Titan stock, sometime in the near future.....

What is it about them second groups? My four first shots went into .19... Then of course I had to triple it..

• Haha
Reactions: jeronimo
Well if being dead last means having my name on a list among the greats, I'll do it.

First attempt ever at shooting the 6x5 today. First try was CCI SV...averaged 1.01. I then tried Eley 'Yellow' box.. Had only one 50 CT boxof it.. and averaged .86. I am posting that. My front action nut is stripped,I need to get it welded.

50 yards.
Savage Mark II in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock with my own bottom metal, factory trigger.
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56
Prone
Blackhawk bipod
Homemade rear bag
Shot inside an empty building, doors were all open and a small breeze was blowing thru. Took a ten minute break between groups 3 and 4..I shouldn't have! Gonna get the action stud welded and try again..really hoping to get this group pushed off the chart shortly.View attachment 7309294

Got to love your shooting range!

Reactions: Fweedombypepe
My apologies to the folks at vudoo, this rifle deserves a better shooter. 100 ydsView attachment 7309897

As a fellow Vudoo shooter, you did great! Especially if you are shooting off a wood bench, which I would probably guess isn't the most stable platform. If you can get prone, that would provide a more stable platform to shoot from. Other things to look at are your bipod and rear shooting bag. Are they keeping your rifle steady. One thing that helped me was to keep my cheek on the stock at all times, this means when you are ejecting and rechambering a new round. That way your eye is always in the same place for all 5 shots. Take a look at your parallax too. Make sure you are focused to where that reticle isn't moving around, etc. Maybe you already know all this. I'm just passing along info that I've gleaned from reading this thread and others on the subject of shooting accurately.

@jbell I honestly gave the challenge a go yesterday but with 30-40mph variable and switching winds and using my 5.5 pound 10/22 I was quickly humbled and decided I would try again with better conditions.
Normally SK STD + does very good in this Tac Sol barrel but found that RWS R100 was doing much better in the wind and eventually gave up and switched to shooting shotgun shells at 30 yards with peeps with my old AR-7.
It was fun regardless and will try and submit a solid showing when the wind isn't kicking my ass.

Reactions: Cuzz
Screwed the Keystone Accuracy Green Mountain on the RimX today and get 400rd through it @ 50yds. Hell of a barrel for $325! Shot a 10x5 that measured 0.285" AGG and 6x5 in that string that measured 0.233" AGG. And a personal best smallest 5 shot group in that same string measuring 0.01"!! True one hole group. Lot of CenterX was hammering! Looking forward to 100yds.

Damn man, that is smoking good! Excellent shooting!! Just to confirm this is the first time you have posted with this action/barrel combo correct?

Reactions: padom
Very good shooting padom. I tried a bipod on my T1X once, it was like shooting off a pogo stick. Maybe I need to revisit it.

Reactions: padom
Hey guys welcome back to the "NEW OLD HIDE", its good to be home!

So getting back to business I am starting the 6X5 thread over from scratch. Same rules:

Rules are pretty simple. There must be exactly six groups of 5 shots, all on one target board. No more, no less. No foulers on this board, every shot on the board must count. The groups need to be shot consecutively, this is not a thread for someone to post up their collection of best six groups, but their best group of six groups. Entries must be shot on or after 10/19/14. For now, lets keep this a bipod/rear bag or shooting off a ruck challenge, no mechanical rests. If enough people feel I should change that up, please let me know and I'll reconsider. (I would like to keep this as close to prone shooting as we can, so if you are able then please shoot prone. However if you cant for health reasons or other plausible reasons then go to a bench and enter your target with pride. But if you just want to squeeze that last few thousanths out of your group come on, man up and go prone!)

Each entry should have a picture of the target board, with the group measurements written on it. Include a pic of your rifle as well, as well as info on your setup, and how it was shot, weather conditions, etc. Only the best entry per person/rifle combo will be kept on the board, but enter as many times as you like, and I'll count multiple entries from multiple rifles. Same goes with best group at every distance.

This time I am doing a seperate post for the 50, 100, and 200+ yard line entry just to keep it easier to read. I am going on the same old format and making a running tally not just the top 10 or whatever. You will also see that I have a post for cold bore groups. Lets keep it as honest as possable as cold bore means FIRST ROUND FIRED THAT DAY preoid, end of story. So a cold bore plus 4. I will do any yard line you want for the cold bore so 50, 100, 200+. If you would note the distance from center for the cold bore shot if it is easy to measure (if you throw down a CB +4 that measures in the 0.1XX" then who the hell cares about the deviation at that point it is all shooter and conditions).

**Let me know if you are shooting in air temps under 40f. I will note it on the results as there is always the big question how do rimfires shoot in the cold.**

I am bringing the old results over from the first and second versions of this thread for reference but as of today (02/10/17) we are starting from scratch. I just don't want to lose all y'alls hard work and excellent shooting.
jbell, a question. First time 6x5 shooter, so bear with me. After I shoot my first set at a given distance, then how does this work when I shoot another 6x5 say a week later. Is there a timing interval we need to observe before we send you a new 6x5? If I shoot a second 6x5 say, a week later, and the average is worse than the first 6x5, do I send it in anyway? So, can you explain or point me to the explanation for any 6x5's shot after the first set submitted?

Thanks very much!

jbell, a question. First time 6x5 shooter, so bear with me. After I shoot my first set at a given distance, then how does this work when I shoot another 6x5 say a week later. Is there a timing interval we need to observe before we send you a new 6x5? If I shoot a second 6x5 say, a week later, and the average is worse than the first 6x5, do I send it in anyway? So, can you explain or point me to the explanation for any 6x5's shot after the first set submitted?

Thanks very much!

Welcome, it is super easy here. Just shoot and post as often as you want, anytime you improve on either the average or best group I’ll update the results. They do not need to be on the same target, meaning if you shoot a smoking group but blow it with another group so the average suffers the best group will be updated.

I do appreciate it if you have a lot of entries and you improve on something you let me know in the post so I don’t spend too much time reading the results. I am looking forward to seeing you post up some targets.

-Jesse

318BA279-B3C6-4ADD-A024-D17BB493EEA2.jpeg
Updated the scope base on the H&R from the dovetail to a Nightforce cantilever 20 MOA base. Had to re-zero. My 6x6 after the adjustments. .58” with a best group of .31 at 100... one consistent rifle.

Thought I would take a go at a 6x5 this evening, and ended up shooting my two best groups so far.
Not quite good enough to beat my previous average though. I'll keep practicing.
I changed over to a Spuhr mount last night, and sighted the rifle in this evening, prior to trying the 6x5.
It was shooting to the right about 10 mils. That's where the shot marked N/A on the 6x5 came from.

Thought I would take a go at a 6x5 this evening, and ended up shooting my two best groups so far.
Not quite good enough to beat my previous average though. I'll keep practicing.
I changed over to a Spuhr mount last night, and sighted the rifle in this evening, prior to trying the 6x5.
It was shooting to the right about 10 mils. That's where the shot marked N/A on the 6x5 came from.

That's some nice shooting! Great job.

Reactions: jeronimo