• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6XC ???

Re: 6XC ???

Yep...I shoot one. This is my 2nd one. My first was a BAT action 600 and 1000 yard bench rifle built by Bruno.

My current one is one my buddy and I (mostly him) built based on a Surgeon 591 action,Bartlein barrel,and JP chassis.

Shoots VERY well. I am currently shooting 107 SMK's with 39.3 grains of H4350. Last 600 yard match I shot I had 4 out of five shots in a sub 1" group (I screwed the pooch on my 3rd shot and it opened the group up to around 3").

Basically the same ballistics of a .243 but better barrel life and very easy to tune.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot an easy 4-5,000 rounds of it a year, does that count? :)

John
</div></div>

uuuuuhhhhhmmmmm..........

no

No...1000 yards is no problem. Again, pretty much the same ballistics of a .243.

David Tubb claims the 6XC is good to 1400 yards. Never had a chance to shoot mine that far, but my avg. groups at 1K are usaully in the 4-5" range when conditions are good.

I have ran the 115 DTAC's, and 107 SMK's and could really never tell a difference between the two. I have a bunch of 107's so I will be shooting those for awhile.

More info on the 6Xc here: http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

Take care,Stan

The 6 XC
The 6 XC is probably one of my favorite calibers for 600 yards and up to 1000.

Ballistics show that the 6XC hangs in there with the larger 6.5 x .284 that many long range competitive shooters use, especially over on the F-Class side. The 6 XC definitely eats barrels faster than the .308 with an average life span of somewhere around 2500-3000 rounds of dead nuts accuracy but it makes up with its sheer velocity, ease of use, low recoil, flat trajectory and overall well felt shots. The bullets are cheaper than those of a traditional long range rifle such as the .338, .308, .284, or .270 and you get a bonus of making your jugs of power last longer by throwing somewhere between 35-40 grains of your favorite powder instead of the 50-80 grains you will use with many other calibers. I know, it doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up quickly, especially if you shoot 100 rounds per weekend like I do. The brass can be purchased, Bonus if you can find it, I bought 1000 rounds of Norma 6XC brass when it was still cheap at $60.00 per 100 pieces so I really haven’t looked for it in a while. While Norma tends to be a little softer than the majority of my lapua brass, the 6XC chamber that I use could be considered a bit tight so it doesn’t allow much case stretch and therefore I don’t work the brass as hard and get plenty of reloads from my brass. I have shot many clean strings with my 6XC and when it cools down a bit; I plan to shoot many more. I highly suggest this tested and trued caliber over some of the other long range loads popping up like the 6BRX and 6x51 Long Neck. Besides dealing with forming brass, or in some cases making brass, just buy the Norma, save yourself the time and have fun shooting one of the most accurate calibers out there. Just so were clear, here’s a recap.
6XC – Very Accurate cartridge
6XC – Easy to reload and uses less resources than other long range calibers
6XC – ballistics show that it’s comparable to 6.5 x .284 in function. Some may argue, but I do have both and I think they compare just fine.
6XC – Nice flat trajectory
6XC – Decent barrel life
6XC – Less felt recoil than other long range calibers – for those who don’t know, that makes it easier to follow up a shot with secondary shot.

How do I shoot the 6XC?

I prefer the 115 Berger VLD’s they shoot very well with my H4350. I use that combination with Norma Brass and CCI BR2 Primers

Tip: when purchasing a 6mm barrel for this new caliber, make sure that the twist rate of your barrel is fast enough to handle the 115 grain bullets out there or you will kick yourself later.

Thanks for the help, guys. I am currently shooting a Rem 700 pss in 308 but want to change. I have the CDI Precision dbm on the rifle, will the XC round feed reliably thru the mags, do you know?
CDI uses the Accuracy Int. mags.

Thanks again for the help, Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will ask what is the outer range?

is 1000 yards any problem? </div></div>

1000 yards is no problem, even for a knuckle dragger. :)

You can use 115s, but I dont, I just stick with the 107/108s, though I have shot 115s at 1000.

I have and do shoot 105's to 1250 with the XC. Not a problem.
I have 2 rifles in 6XC both have CDI bottom metal and don't miss a beat unless it is operator error.

Give the XC a try, odds are good you will enjoy it.

Hi Chiller.

I believe that I am getting 3030fps using REL-17 behind 108grain Berger boattails with my XC.

According to JBM at our altitude (3000ft) this will pass below Mach 1 at 1450 yards.

This load is easily half minute.

I've been running a 6xc for about a year now and love the cartridge. I'm getting about 3000-3050 fps using 115 DTACs. The amazing thing is that I seem to be able to stretch it past 1k with no issues. I made 3 out of 4 shots on a larue target at 1788 a few weeks ago. My dope was off by about 1 mil, I assume this is due to going transsonic.

At shorter distances,it absolutely drills out of both my Tubb gun and my remington 700.

The 6 XC
The 6 XC is probably one of my favorite calibers for 600 yards and up to 1000.

Ballistics show that the 6XC hangs in there with the larger 6.5 x .284 that many long range competitive shooters use, especially over on the F-Class side. The 6 XC definitely eats barrels faster than the .308 with an average life span of somewhere around 2500-3000 rounds of dead nuts accuracy but it makes up with its sheer velocity, ease of use, low recoil, flat trajectory and overall well felt shots. The bullets are cheaper than those of a traditional long range rifle such as the .338, .308, .284, or .270 and you get a bonus of making your jugs of power last longer by throwing somewhere between 35-40 grains of your favorite powder instead of the 50-80 grains you will use with many other calibers. I know, it doesn’t sound like much, but it adds up quickly, especially if you shoot 100 rounds per weekend like I do. The brass can be purchased, Bonus if you can find it, I bought 1000 rounds of Norma 6XC brass when it was still cheap at $60.00 per 100 pieces so I really haven’t looked for it in a while. While Norma tends to be a little softer than the majority of my lapua brass, the 6XC chamber that I use could be considered a bit tight so it doesn’t allow much case stretch and therefore I don’t work the brass as hard and get plenty of reloads from my brass. I have shot many clean strings with my 6XC and when it cools down a bit; I plan to shoot many more. I highly suggest this tested and trued caliber over some of the other long range loads popping up like the 6BRX and 6x51 Long Neck. Besides dealing with forming brass, or in some cases making brass, just buy the Norma, save yourself the time and have fun shooting one of the most accurate calibers out there. Just so were clear, here’s a recap.
6XC – Very Accurate cartridge
6XC – Easy to reload and uses less resources than other long range calibers
6XC – ballistics show that it’s comparable to 6.5 x .284 in function. Some may argue, but I do have both and I think they compare just fine.
6XC – Nice flat trajectory
6XC – Decent barrel life
6XC – Less felt recoil than other long range calibers – for those who don’t know, that makes it easier to follow up a shot with secondary shot.

How do I shoot the 6XC?

I prefer the 115 Berger VLD’s they shoot very well with my H4350. I use that combination with Norma Brass and CCI BR2 Primers

Tip: when purchasing a 6mm barrel for this new caliber, make sure that the twist rate of your barrel is fast enough to handle the 115 grain bullets out there or you will kick yourself later.

Awesome first post welcome to the Hide.

I would agree that that post sums it up rather nicely....

shootingwiththeboys016.jpg

Mine shoots pretty good with 105 scenars and the 115 VLD's
Surgeon 591
Bartlein MTU 27" 1-7.5" 5R
MAC A5
Badger M5, AI mags
Jewell trigger
S&B 4-16X50 PMII GENII
Near 34MM Rings

I'm working on some load developement for my nex 6XC.
Using the 115 dtacs seated at 2.780" OAL I've started with 37.5 grains of Reloader 17. Would going up to 39.0 grains in 1/2 grain increments be reasonalbe; or would 39 grains of R-17 be too hot? I'd hate to put the time in loading them just to pull them apart after firing the lighter loads.
Finding load data for this powder sucks! Unless I've just missed it, not even Alliant's own website provides recipies for the 6xc and 115s.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would agree that that post sums it up rather nicely....

shootingwiththeboys016.jpg

Mine shoots pretty good with 105 scenars and the 115 VLD's
Surgeon 591
Bartlein MTU 27" 1-7.5" 5R
MAC A5
Badger M5, AI mags
Jewell trigger
S&B 4-16X50 PMII GENII
Near 34MM Rings </div></div>

....kinda thinking I would hate to be a mid to eastern MT coyote setting @ 700yds licking my nuts and thinking I had the world by the tail!!!!!
wink.gif

I shoot 107's in my 8 twist just because I have a shit load. With 40gr and moly it runs 3050ish with no issues. A couple test loads of RL17 were bumping 3200 but I want to get rid of the moly's I have then will redo load. Currently running reformed Win 22/250 brass until it wears out. Also have a 12tw Douglas with .268nk and .050 freebore. Shoot 75 Sierra's @ 3400ish with 43gr of H4350.

Love the round. Probably the easiest shooting 6mm I have ever owned and will likely always own one. Haven't even busted into my Norma stash etc yet. Haven't had many oppportunities on coyotes since mange hit here several yrs ago. Longest with it thus far was 470ish last winter. A small buck last day and last hr of season @ 370. Steel coyote @ 600yd thus far is easy for a cripple old bastard like me. Oh, did I say I like the round.....?
smile.gif

Respectfully,
Dennis

Right now I am shooting moly'd. Wanted to get 3000fps and couldn't safely do it @ first with H4350 and naked 107SMK safely using the first batch of reformed Win 22/250 brass. Second batch with moly bullets has been a bit faster with a bit less pressure it seems than the first.

Brother in Kalispell is shooting a Krieger instead of a Rock and easily gets 3150 using Norma and RL17 in his. Think my Rock tube is a bit tight as my Broughton 6x47L will run roughly 120fps faster with any comparable powder/bullet load but different case and primer size isn't really a fair comparison as to barrel brand IMO. All tubes @ 26". Surely nothing against Rock as I have several. Just that this one seems to hit the high end a bit sooner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and.....

4350 or 4831SC? </div></div>

I am using H4350!!! Never tried 4831SC and don't think I have read where anyone has used IMR or Accurate 4350?? Seems either H4350 or RL17 are the ticket for accuracy vs speed with this round from my experience.

Chiller,

I PM'd Rock Creek about their thoughts on melonite. They have been sending them to MMI Trutec. He told me they were experiencing 3X...yes, 3X the typical barrel life even on the hot 6mms. I think a 243 may be my next tube with that in mind. 4500-6000 rounds out of a 243 (if not more). Wow!

Josh

My XC also has a slow barrel similar to Whirlwinds. Mine is a 8" twist 26" Broughton. I can get 3000 fps with 107-108 grain bullets using 39 grains of H4350, however accuracy suffers. Tight bolt lift is encountered when going much higher. I do better at 2930 fps using 36 grains of H4350. I can get about 100 fps more velocity from REL-17. For best accuracy I am using 37.2 grains of REL-17. This is with uncoated bullets. I gave up on moly bullets a long time ago. I recently ran a ladder test at 300 yards using REL-17 and 108 Berger Boattails. The first 9 rounds were loaded at .2 grain increments- 36.4 to 38.0 grains. Wind was mild but switching back and forth. Those first 9 went into a group 1.4" tall by 2.4" wide. After that they started to climb vertically with another little zone around 39.5 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently ran a ladder test at 300 yards using REL-17 and 108 Berger Boattails. The first 9 rounds were loaded at .2 grain increments- 36.4 to 38.0 grains. Wind was mild but switching back and forth. Those first 9 went into a group 1.4" tall by 2.4" wide. After that they started to climb vertically with another little zone around 39.5 grains. </div></div>

Any pressure signs at all at 39.5gr of R17?

"Any pressure signs at all at 39.5gr of R17?"

Yes- sticky bolt and cratered primers anywhere above that. This is with un-coated 108 grain Bergers. I am using Norma brass and Wolf primers.

Impact of the 39.5 was approx 2.7" above the 37.5 impact at 300 yards. After that I fired 2 more with a stiff bolt lift that went way vertical. I didn't have a chrony at the time so I plan to try to determine velocity soon- although I think 37.5 was giving over 3000fps.

By the way that's a nice group PGS. 10 into what? about 3" at 700 yards?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll stop at 39.0 grains with my initial load development / break-in process.

Finding good reloading data on the R17 & 115 dtac combo has been a challenge.

I finally got to the range today to try some R-17 and 115 dtacs. This was with my new Templar build with a 25" Bartlein 1/7.7 twist. The most accurate load I tested was my starting load of 37.5 gr (which dummy me I didn't run thru the chrono). My hottest loaded tested (39.0 gr) had avg velocity of 3,002 fps. 38.5 gr averaged 2,956 fps. I'm going to do some more work between 38.5 and 39.0 and hopefully find another node at a very respectable velocity.