• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6xc

frankmorrow

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2021
Kentucky
Looking back now I shouldn’t have built a 6xc!! Grant it this thing shoots lights out and is the best long range short action I’ve ever seen! The problem lies in the fact that it only shoots 115 grain Bullets well with 1/7 twist and with a shortage of everything I feel like I got a sells pitch from watching all of tubbs YouTube videos now I’m stuck with a rifle I can’t even shoot!! I should have went 6 dasher or creed just so I could shoot a little wider variety of bullets!

The weight doesn’t really matter, it’s finding a particular bullet it likes. Mine shot a 105s just as well.
What reamer are you running?

I say not to get a 6xc based on the base differences between reamers and dies. You can get a situation where your base doesn’t get sized. That’s why I went away from it. I’m sure tubbs die would have worked but I’m done with it already.

Aside from the potential issues spife laid out above, the XC and Creedmoor are dang near identical. If youre saying you’ve tried other bullets and they dont shoot, ok, but that exact situation could exist with a Creeedmoor. There’s nothing about an XC and a 7 twist that says only 115’s will work. The issue you're having is an individual one.

Reamer came from the man that grinds all of tubbs personal reamers dies was bought from tubb as well I’ve had no issues with base being sized. My only issue is the same as everyone else finding bullets and since this gun only seems to like dtacs I feel even more limited I should have done a little more research lol if and that’s a big if Sierra resupplies tubb with dtacs I’m gonna buy enough to burn this barrel out then it’s on to a dasher or something else!!

Run light loads with 105-109s and you'll have a fast Dasher. I have a Savage action I always wanted to put a 6xc barrel on and run VV N160. I think you could get damn good barrel life. I got lucky and picked up an action off a prize table and another in a raffle. The actions run way better than a savage, so I just run 6 dasher and don't worry about it.

I start worrying about having jacket failures at 300k rpms. Not a guarantee, just a risk. RPMs = 720×MV÷twist rate in inches. At typical 6XC velocities you are definitely on the edge even with 115s and a 7 twist. I like to run a 7.5 twist with fast 6mm and 115s and an 8 twist with 105-109s. With a Dasher or slower you can pretty much run a 7 twist and be fine unless really pushing things.

Slow down some 105 or heavier Bergers in your 6xc to around 2900-2950 fps and I would bet it will shoot lights out.

If you had a creedmoor, and it only shot DTACS, would you be griping that you shoulda got something else? Theres nothing special about the XC or Tubb’s chamber specs that make it shoot his bullet and nothing else. I have that reamer too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head
I really liked the 105 rdfs in my 6xc right below 3k fps.
But like you said, the availability. That’s gonna suck for every chamber though.
What powder, both h4350 and rl16 were great for accuracy for me.

If you had a creedmoor, and it only shot DTACS, would you be griping that you shoulda got something else? Theres nothing special about the XC or Tubb’s chamber specs that make it shoot his bullet and nothing else. I have that reamer too.
I agree 100% there is something something special about the xc but I’m just butt hurt on my limitations. I got the best dang gun put together I’ve ever shot and can’t even shoot the think now but then again most of us no matter what caliber is in this together in some form I.e lack of powder lack of Bullets lack of primers!! All I can say is prs shooters must be took care of cause I don’t know how their even gonna compete this year if they aren’t?

I
I really liked the 105 rdfs in my 6xc right below 3k fps.
But like you said, the availability. That’s gonna suck for every chamber though.
What powder, both h4350 and rl16 were great for accuracy for me.
run h4350 I’ve got some varget haven’t tried it yet I found a node at 39.8g shooting 3020 ffp

Try the 112 match burners it you can find them. I have used them interchangeably with my XC. As a side note I did not like my 1-7 barrel, my 1-8 barrel was far easier to tune with multiple bullets. After my experience with my 1-7.5 6 creedmoor I am leaning toward that as my favored twist.

FYI-
Christer Larrson - the Chief Ballistician for Norma some years back commented to me that after shooting multiple 60 shot composite groupings at 300 meters both with the 6BR and the 6XC. It was his opinion that the 6XC was inherently more accurate that the 6BR.
Suprised me too..
Dtubb

6xc vs 6br... both winning cartridges...

I know I could never shoot good enough to tell. Love my 6xc and my 6bra.

If you are having trouble with bullets other than the 115, it isn't the cartridge design. I have shot 115 DTACS, 105, 108, 110 and they all could be tuned in.

Sucks whatever is going on, hope you figure it out. This shortage sucks.

6xc vs 6br... both winning cartridges...

I know I could never shoot good enough to tell. Love my 6xc and my 6bra.

If you are having trouble with bullets other than the 115, it isn't the cartridge design. I have shot 115 DTACS, 105, 108, 110 and they all could be tuned in.

Sucks whatever is going on, hope you figure it out. This shortage sucks.
I really wanting to cut a barrel in 6BR or 6BRA but I’m holding off as 6mm bullets are slim pickins right now.