• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7.62 AR Charging Handles

powderBurnz

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Florida
Whats everyone using? In a 7.62 AR is it worthwhile to get say the BCM or PRI CH? I'm running just a regular Armalite CH, and the thing is a beast to manipulate.

Re: 7.62 AR Charging Handles

I would say both are good.

I've tried the BCM (mod4 medium length latch) and it feels good and positive.

The PRI "weenie" latch is what I currently use on my AR10. I've had it on there for a while and my charging handle is "shiny" bare aluminum on one side of it. I've never had a problem with the PRI weenie latch breaking yet.

Huge fan of the BCM "gunfighter" charging handle. I run them on all of my rifles... Best out there for me. Just my opinion.

The PRI GB charging handles are EXCELLENT products and what I run on nearly all of my .308 ARs...they are especially well-suited to the .308 ARs if you are now, or in the future planning on, running your rifle/carbine suppressed.

We had PRI's on our m4's and m16's my second time in Iraq and they were ok. Better than than the standard handle but not great.

Then I handled a BCM Gunfighter...the thing is so much better. I originally thought you couldn't really improve much on the charging handle due to its simplicity, but the difference in manipulation between the Gunfighter and the Gasbuster is pretty substantial IMO.

Gunfighter all the way on all my rifles and I suggest it to everyone I can.

I put a Badger Ordinance Tactical charging handle on mine. I have been 100% satisfied. It provides a nice purchase point and stands clear of my scope. I had read reviews of that style of latch having a tendency to break, which makes sense, you're putting a larger moment arm on a relatively thin piece of metal, but I have not run into that problem w/ the badger ordinance part.

I use a BCM 7.62 medium latch, and it works great.

i scored a BCM off here and its stout. once you see it, you see how the design makes it better. one of the sites i "like" on FB reported a PRI that had a latch rip out and they are going to try the BCM next

All my ARs run BCM CHs. I think they're the best on the market.

After putting the SS 5-20x 50 scope on my AR-10t I found it a necessity I upgrade my charging handle. The eyepiece of the scope covers the charging handle in a way that I can just barely get to it. I already knew I'd get a BCM Gunfighter vs the Badger as I've read some reports of the little roll pin breaking and needing to be replaced. I looked at how the BCM works and what makes it stronger and placed my order.

I ordered both the Mod 3 (largest) and the Mod 4 (medium). I read reports of a possible pinch point with the Mod 4 and was easily able to reproduce the pinch on my finger. It felt strong enough for charging, but left fear I might draw blood if I weren't careful.

I opted for the Mod 3 largest handle and it's a pleasure to charge the handle now. I've read many don't like how far it sticks out because it hits their chest or gear with a 2 point sling. I don't sling my rifle so I didn't use that as a considering factor. What I wanted was the ability to charge my rifle in from prone with only by left index finger, and the BCM Mod 3 allows for that.

I do get a small amount of lateral "bend", but nothing more than what I had with the factory handle so it's a non-issue. Bottom line is that I LOVE IT.

Here's a crappy shot of it. This is a crop of a larger picture where I had the camera focused higher up the scope, but you get the idea. The Mod 4 juts out a little past the red release tab of the Butler Creek.

BCM.jpg

Here is a comparison between Mod 3 and 4. Credit for pic goes to Stickman. He posts over at arfcom and possibly here too. Thank you Stickman.

BCMgunfighterstop01.jpg

I'll weigh in as someone has a PRI Gasbuster on a 308. I've only had it about a month, it came on a rifle I purchased from another member here.

I'm not crazy about it, but it works so far. I particularly don't like the latch, as it's rounded shape is uncomfortable for me to manipulate. On my last range trip someone there had a DPMS with the BCM/Vltor handle and he let me check it out, and I'm gonna buy one. It felt more stout to me and I liked the shape of the latch better. Just my 2 cents without alot of experience.

I don't have a suppressor, it's on my "someday" list. I'm running a piston upper, so I'm not sure that even if I did have a suppressor that I would see much of the touted benefits of the Gasbuster.

BCM on all my rifles. I don't run anything suppressed and have never used a PRI though I'm sure they are fine. One additional thing you might consider is a BAD lever for malfunctions, ect. I don't know what AR-10 platform you are running but the Phase 5 Tactical DPMS V2 one is very stout and quite nice.

I use a PRI latch on my .308 AR only because the BCM Gunfighter wasn't compatible. I have 2 Gunfighters are on my AR15s. I highly recommend BCMs all the way if you can swing it.

I run PRI on my work M4 and on my AR10.

When I am working I have all kinds of shit that handle can get caught on. I don't dig handles that stick out like highway pegs on a Harley. To easy to jack a bolt out of battery at not even know it.

Also my M4 is suppressed and overgassed as hell. The Gas Buster helps considerably. The -10 will eventually be suppressed.

Charging handles seem to be the "bolt knobs" of the AR world. Everyone has to have a fancy one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I am working I have all kinds of shit that handle can get caught on. I don't dig handles that stick out like highway pegs on a Harley. To easy to jack a bolt out of battery at not even know it.

Charging handles seem to be the "bolt knobs" of the AR world. Everyone has to have a fancy one. </div></div>

I won't be working with my personal toys... So highway pegs are g2g for me.
wink.gif
and i live in a state where cans are evil
frown.gif

I use the BCM on all of my ARs, except my service rifle. I use the large size on my POF .308 and my AR that's chambered in 6.5 mm Grendel because I have large scopes. I use the smaller size on my 5.56 POF AR because it has a smaller 1-4x scope.

I've tried several charging handles and like the BCMs best.