• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62 - JP or Noveske or KAC or Larue??

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
I am looking at 7.62x51s for dual role service. Role #1 will be anti-zombie out to 1000 yards. Role #2 will be deer and elk hunting in the rocky mountains where rifle weight is a serious consideration due to steepness of the areas that I hunt.

So I think the factors which are most important to me are accuracy, reliability and weight. Regarding reliability, the rifle should be able to endure a bit of dust and still operate as western mountains are always dusty. As for barrel length, probably 18" or 21".

What I am considering currently are the JP, Noveske N6, KAC and Larue. Which would be best and why? Any other rifle suggestions? I have owned 6 M1As, and currently own 2, but I do not want to go down that route again for a precision gun.

_____

JP $3300+. Supposed to be the lightest and lowest recoil of the 7.62s out there:

http://jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php

LRP-07RSfinal_556.jpg

Noveske N6 $3125. This rifle is said to shoot clover leafs all the time and Noveske is known for reliability:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/NVR-18-762.aspx

NVR-18-762.jpg

KAC $4500+:

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr25.html

SR25_last_03.jpg

Larue OBR $3000+. Has raised monolithic rail.

http://larueosr.com/lt762-18-obr762rifle.aspx

OSRProfile.3.jpg

FN SCAR 416 heavy $3250:

Is it accurate??

SCAR_762.gif

HK 417 (if ever released to public):

Is it accurate??

lg_hk417_11.jpg

Re: 7.62 - JP or Noveske or KAC or Larue??

Buy MA/Ten upper/lower combo from Aimsurplus $499 and build your own that is what I did.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

have you considered building one to your specs, you can build a smoken mega, dpms or armalite for considerably less than factory guns.

for what its worth, theres no real science behind AR's like with bolt guns, theres no true the bolt face, laping lugs, oversized recoil lugs, bedding the action.

AR's essentially go together like legos.

component to componet, you getting top quality parts but paying double for a certain company to essential piece it together.

i just built up a ma ten and have no complaints

I just built a mega in 6.5 Creedmoor, do the math, it adds up fast!, havent put in on paper yet,I own a LMT MWS. its a heavy bitch to tote around but its accurate as hell, and Im taking out a Larue OBR 18 inch in about 15 minutes to the range. One of these will be my antelope gun this year

LMT MWS with a Mike Rock stainless barrel is hard to beat. My chrome lined version shoots good and is great for a 7.62 gun for me to teach my classes with. I am getting the 18" Stainless barrel though for serious use. The flexibility with DBMG making barrel extensions is huge.

04ca4acc.jpg

e3a6ac2d.jpg

8ce2e445.jpg

8b4c3b51.jpg

61bb1506.jpg

VZ24ParkerHale.jpg

500 Grains,
This Parker Hale Sniper trainer barrel cost $38 from Numrich.
This VZ24 action and stock were $70 at BIG5.

Virtually every group it has ever shot was sub moa.

Someday when your money runs out and you can't afford to shoot elephants anymore, I will gladly ship a 308, to Utah from WA, in a wet cardboard box.

GAP AR-10

Base model is less expensive than every other option you threw out there. You did say accurate, right? There you go...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking at 7.62x51s for dual role service. Role #1 will be anti-zombie out to 1000 yards. Role #2 will be deer and elk hunting in the rocky mountains where rifle weight is a serious consideration due to steepness of the areas that I hunt.

So I think the factors which are most important to me are accuracy, reliability and weight. Regarding reliability, the rifle should be able to endure a bit of dust and still operate as western mountains are always dusty. As for barrel length, probably 18" or 21".

What I am considering currently are the JP, Noveske N6, KAC and Larue. Which would be best and why? Any other rifle suggestions? I have owned 6 M1As, and currently own 2, but I do not want to go down that route again for a precision gun.

_____

JP $3300+. Supposed to be the lightest and lowest recoil of the 7.62s out there:

http://jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php

LRP-07RSfinal_556.jpg

Noveske N6 $3125. This rifle is said to shoot clover leafs all the time and Noveske is known for reliability:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/NVR-18-762.aspx

NVR-18-762.jpg

KAC $4500+:

http://www.knightarmco.com/sr25.html

SR25_last_03.jpg

Larue OBR $3000+. Has raised monolithic rail.

http://larueosr.com/lt762-18-obr762rifle.aspx

OSRProfile.3.jpg

FN SCAR 416 heavy $3250:

Is it accurate??

SCAR_762.gif

HK 417 (if ever released to public):

Is it accurate??

lg_hk417_11.jpg

</div></div>

well of the rifles you listed, i only have experience with the knights.. and yes they are expensive.. but a great rifle.. but for cost effectiveness, i would say build your own.. JD, MEGA, LMT, all make great upper and lowers that will serve your purpose well.. then get a barrel from any one of the many companies that makes quality barrels.. and you are well on your way to a quality rifle..

i was in the same boat as you about a month ago.. i wanted a 308 carbine.. for work.. and i went with a jd upper/lower with blackhole weaponry barrel..

Larue, Noveske, KAC, GAP, LMT, POF...these guns all have good accuracy reputations. An MOA shooter is more than adequate for hunting in my book. Plus, for the prices, they better be reliable. If you are going to dual role this gun and hunt in the mountains then really the absolute most important thing on your list if it was me would be the weight factor. If I was running out of gas at the top of a mountain range, I would prolly be mad at myself for going with a heavier gun cause it shot 1/4 MOA better.

Don't know from experience, but I've heard those JP brakes are really loud. For myself I might consider the noise factor for hunting too. Just me though.

If I was going to buy one though, I would go with an 18-20" JP (cool side charging) or maybe the Larue. I don't prefer quad rails with hunting gloves on. If you search around, Larue has some threads different places about shooting his 308 out long range. I have a couple of the JP handguards and they are really comfortable with gloves on and easy to haul around the woods.

It seems to me that in the SR-25 you're paying more for the KAC name than what you're getting in the rifle. I've never shot one and I'm sure its a great rifle but upwards of 5k? You could probably build one for less than half of what they're charging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to me that in the SR-25 you're paying more for the KAC name than what you're getting in the rifle. I've never shot one and I'm sure its a great rifle but upwards of 5k? You could probably build one for less than half of what they're charging.

</div></div>

I totally agree. Not saying they aren't great rifles, maybe so...I too have no experience with them. But the price difference to the other premium products that I have used on the market is crazy. You could seriously build yourself or buy from another company two for the price of one. I would save the money for optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chase102798</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It seems to me that in the SR-25 you're paying more for the KAC name than what you're getting in the rifle. I've never shot one and I'm sure its a great rifle but upwards of 5k? You could probably build one for less than half of what they're charging.

</div></div>

I totally agree. Not saying they aren't great rifles, maybe so...I too have no experience with them. But the price difference to the other premium products that I have used on the market is crazy. You could seriously build yourself or buy from another company two for the price of one. I would save the money for optics. </div></div>

Companies that have price contracts with the military will obligate those onto civilians that wish to purchase their products. So you often see inflated prices that relate to a completely different economy, and the civilian economy is completely secondary.

The SR-25 is one example. You're much better off buying something produced specifically for the civilian market. Get more bang for your buck that way unless you're some type of collector that wants the authentic.

I am a die hard Noveske user, John has some of the best systems out there! Also one system most people overlook is MSSG, Mike's Sales and Suppressor Group they have a 308 platform that is incredibly accurate right within the price range of these other systems. Well worth a look.

Pardon my dislexia it is MGSS not MSSG. The smell of my wifes dinner is distracting me big time!! Baked ham , broccili casserole and oh yeah,tater salad! Gotta go, but seriousley give Mike's site a checkout. He has put out one sick 308 platform.

If you are looking for 18", I would call John. I have an LRP-07 with the 18" lightweight profile barrel for 3 gun. I have a PRS stock and this stock would be heavier than you want for hunting.

Someone else also mentioned the JP BC break and I agree, VERY loud and you may want to have another break installed. Also, the bbl is stainless but it can be coated to minimize reflection for hunting.

I ordered a 16" OBR and it should be here next week, but I believe it will be heavier than the LRP-07.

I have several Noveske rifles, but I do not have their N6. Their equivalent rifle would also be heavier than the JP, unless you swapped out the rail.

BTW, LaRue checks every OBR with a 5 shot group for accuracy and the ave. group size was 0.697" IIRC for the last 100 rifles.

All of the rifles you mentioned would get the job done.

I would go with the JP solution. I've never used their LRP-07 version but have a CTR-02 in 223, which has a lot of the same components, that shoots exceedingly well. If you do go with the JP be sure to purchase the JP case gauge for setting your sizing die depth and checking case trim length.
Being from Minnesota I am biased, but John Paul makes outstanding rifles. Very original designs. I am certain that any of the other platforms you mention will work great too.
APA would be another sound option. Jered Joplin has a tremendous reputation.

Jason

You asked if the SCAR heavy was accurate, so I'll just tell you a quick story. Now I know that everyone has their friend of a friend who's in special operations story, but this is my cousin who I'm very close to so it's from the horses mouth. He is in what we will call a very elite special operations unit. In their last deployment to Afghanistan his team fielded the SCAR. Being the sniper on the team he had both a SCAR heavy and an McMillan .50 cal. He told me that the SCAR is very accurate to 800 yards and the McMillan to ~1600. He said they're done with the M4's etc. and now only use SCAR's and love them.

Hope that helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XanderZuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You asked if the SCAR heavy was accurate, so I'll just tell you a quick story. Now I know that everyone has their friend of a friend who's in special operations story, but this is my cousin who I'm very close to so it's from the horses mouth. He is in what we will call a very elite special operations unit. In their last deployment to Afghanistan his team fielded the SCAR. Being the sniper on the team he had both a SCAR heavy and an McMillan .50 cal. He told me that the SCAR is very accurate to 800 yards and the McMillan to ~1600. He said they're done with the M4's etc. and now only use SCAR's and love them.

Hope that helps. </div></div>

Great info - thank you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 500grains</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XanderZuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You asked if the SCAR heavy was accurate, so I'll just tell you a quick story. Now I know that everyone has their friend of a friend who's in special operations story, but this is my cousin who I'm very close to so it's from the horses mouth. He is in what we will call a very elite special operations unit. In their last deployment to Afghanistan his team fielded the SCAR. Being the sniper on the team he had both a SCAR heavy and an McMillan .50 cal. He told me that the SCAR is very accurate to 800 yards and the McMillan to ~1600. He said they're done with the M4's etc. and now only use SCAR's and love them.

Hope that helps. </div></div>

Great info - thank you!</div></div>

In my experience this has not been true and the Special Operations guys we have been around are not happy with the SCARs, the main complaint has been accuracy... and shifts in POI after several rounds.

In terms of an M4, the SCAR is equally up to the task, especially close, but for a DM rifle or to compare it too the other 308 semi's the military is fielding it is bit behind the curve.

I can say I have seen a Mac .50 shoot a better group than a SCAR but I have not seen a SCAR best a Mk11 or a Mk12.

But that is my opinion, based on my first hand observations and those of others... your mileage may vary. Minute of Man I am sure they fine, Minute of Man's Head, not so much.

I have a JP LRP07 that in my biased opinion is the best AR-type rifle in 308. Super accurate, low recoil, very well made, and great customer serivice.

But again since I own one I'm obviously biased....

By the way I went through the same dilemma 6 months ago. I like think it's a 'high class' problem if your only challenge is to deciced which one to go with when they're all pretty much the best.

I have the KAC and the Noveske. I prefer the the Noveske over the KAC in terms of accuracy and cost. I saved a chunk by just buying the Noveske upper and fitting it to an Iron Ridge lower. The only thing I like better on the KAC is the chromed bolt.

You might also consider a Les Baer monolith. I'm fielding one with an 18" barrel with integral brake. Shoots sub .5MOA all day long with 168 and 175 FGMM rounds and recoil is little more than a .223. You can get it in several barrel lengths, with or without the brake. Comes with the Geisele two stage adjustable trigger which works really well. Everything except the trigger is made by LBC and the accuracy, fit and finish are fabulous.

Downside? Not cheap. The guys are right you can buy or build cheaper. But if you want a turn key option you ought to look at this as well.

I have one of the first Stoner SR25 match rifles and it shoots great. There were no parts around to build my own at that time.
Since then I have built a few rifles on the AR platform that shoot just as well but they are in 223 cal. If I wanted a 308 AR today I would build my own the way I want it. If you just want to buy one I think you will be happy with any of the ones you mentioned

Im in the process of building my first ar-308, too many decisions to make! Im settled in with JD Mach upper and lower, Lilja 24" barrel,Geissele DMR,Magpul PRS at the back,and JP boltcarrier group. This should be a very accurate package when complete.As for the cost, approx a grand below the prices of already built rifles and Im learning way more than I expected in the process. By the way, being new to this forum, I must say the info gained from this site is great!

.308 for Elk and up to 1000 out of a gas gun? I would pick a different caliber.

I would go Larue or LMT but I'm leaning towards the OBR now.

JP makes a hunting model (LRP-07H). It built in a fixed config. I hear really good things about this gun. And the break is removable. Check it out here:

JP-07H

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XXLNevermiss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are looking for 18", I would call John. I have an LRP-07 with the 18" lightweight profile barrel for 3 gun. I have a PRS stock and this stock would be heavier than you want for hunting.

Someone else also mentioned the JP BC break and I agree, VERY loud and you may want to have another break installed. Also, the bbl is stainless but it can be coated to minimize reflection for hunting.

I ordered a 16" OBR and it should be here next week, but I believe it will be heavier than the LRP-07.

I have several Noveske rifles, but I do not have their N6. Their equivalent rifle would also be heavier than the JP, unless you swapped out the rail.

BTW, LaRue checks every OBR with a 5 shot group for accuracy and the ave. group size was 0.697" IIRC for the last 100 rifles.

All of the rifles you mentioned would get the job done.</div></div>