• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7.62 rifle advice

burgessb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
in the woods
Guys I know there will be a varied group of responses but here we go.

I am looking for a semi auto 308 rifle. I love my bolt guns but they are not much good in a fight.

What do you guys shoot?

Recommend?

Pics would be awesome

I am not looking for super accurate just more range than my ar15. (note I am not looking to spend ga10 or scar 17 money)

I was looking at ar10 but not sure on reliability and I know that oddly parts aren't interchangeable so that worries me.

thanks in advance!!!

Part of the problem with the AR10 pattern rifles is the lack of standardization.
Different magazines, is just one part of the equation.
While there are many virtues to the AR10 design, considering your stated goals, you would be hard pressed to do better than the Socom 16 or scout squad rifle.

If your fixated on an AR10, Armalite does build a good rifle. You can also check out the new Savage rifles, as least they come with after the sale support if required.

The 10 has no standardization of parts like the 15. That and lack of the special tools to build a 10 turned me off --I'd only likely build the one, may be two but with 15's the tools were justified as I work on and built several.

So with the 10, I did look at higher end rifles, you know, buy once, cry once. May take a bit of saving but it'll be worth it. I went for a KAC SR25/M110 20". The new ones with the LMT stock and flash hider (vs. the shittier Magpul stock and nicer MAMS brake the new M110 has). They may still have some new military M110's in tan, full kits, but they are much more costly than the new ones without the hard case, etc. I got a good deal on a new one, the SR25 type, so I bought mags, parts kit, tools kit and other items. I got the QDC can for it too, which is a good addition for this rifle. The USO 3.2-17x optic and Badger mount I already had. Rifle is so well built only part I changed was the grip; I just like the Magpul MIAD grips. Trigger was surprisingly as good as a Geissele so no need to change it and the SOPMOD stock is solid enough for an alternative to a fixed stock.

GAP makes a good rifle as does Larue, both have waits, alternatives, but given the prices and given the KAC is mostly a proprietary rifle (little parts compatibility with 10's or 15's) the KAC seemed to me the best buy given the fully ambi setup and general quality of build for a rifle I couldn't build myself. If it's only gonna be one or two of these in your collection, you'd be well served with a factory built, quality rifle.

IMO, it's worth saving for a quality rifle. You won't be let down with an SR25 or an OBR and both are guaranteed to be less than 1 MOA.

I am looking for a semi auto 308 rifle. I love my bolt guns but they are not much good in a fight.

What do you guys shoot?

Recommend?

Pics would be awesome

I am not looking for super accurate just more range than my ar15. (note I am not looking to spend ga10 or scar 17 money)

I was looking at ar10 but not sure on reliability and I know that oddly parts aren't interchangeable so that worries me.

thanks in advance!!!

Palmetto State Armory. (DPMS gen 2)I have two, a 14" pistol an a 18" rifle, both in .308win. Change the extractors to the new enhanced style an never look back, add P-mags an rock on. Ether of mine will head shoot to 300yds w/o issue, the pistol sports a Aimpoint Comp m4 an the rifle wears a Leupold 2.5x8x36

One thing people don't think about, the Larue rifles are guaranteed under 1 moa for the LIFE OF THE RIFLE. I have a buddy who is SWAT, runs the Costa from larue for work, when his barrel wore out ( 8k rds) it was replaced, no questions asked. You get what you pay for. I know they are expensive, but if you are shooting a bunch, they are worth the cost IMHO.

larue is nice but I was not looking at 3500 b4 optic rifle for shtf fighting. that would buy a lot of other guns and ammo

I think most of us automatically consider the most accurate design, with ease of scoping. AR10, hands. Perhaps the OP is thinking of a true battle rifle. I own a early DSA FAL, when many FN parts were still used. 2 MOA with good ammo, solid iron sites, combat reliability, could be tossed in a truck bed without damage. Just takes up safe space nowadays, but is one hell of a rifle.

I think the way to deal with your concern about a lack of standards is to do your looking among complete factory rifles.

I have not yet made my way onto the AR10 higher horse, but I plan to, and I will be looking first at Stag because I have had excellent results with a couple of their 5.56 Stag 15/Stag Model 6 Super Varminter factory rifles. Why Stag for the AR10? Well their entry int the AR10 is more recent, and also because they state they adhere to compatibility with the DPMS pattern. They do use proprietary take down and pivot pins, but I haven't yet discerned what their distinction is.

Here's the current Stag AR10 product line.

For my own purposes, since I prefer the .260 over the 6.5CM, I would be looking to acquire a .308, then do a barrel swap to a .260 made by L-W. Obviously, it will be a pricier gun, but since it's a stag, I think it's worth it. They have always been solid rifles for me, including my homemade Upper using a Stag Model 3 barrel.

I am pretty set on brand loyalty. I have come to feel the same confidence in my Stags as I feel in my Savage Rifles. The two brands have both always worked well for me.

Greg

Last edited:
I think the Seekin’s SP10 is worth looking into for the money. Rumor has it, the Lanxang Tactical gasser just kicked some rear in the sniper comps. But, it comes with a cost as well.

I think most of us automatically consider the most accurate design, with ease of scoping. AR10, hands. Perhaps the OP is thinking of a true battle rifle. I own a early DSA FAL, when many FN parts were still used. 2 MOA with good ammo, solid iron sites, combat reliability, could be tossed in a truck bed without damage. Just takes up safe space nowadays, but is one hell of a rifle.

I have an FAL folder. It's a nice, solid rifle if you get the right one. Mostly stock is the way to go with the FAL. Mine is jazzed up, but I think the money would have been better spent elsewhere. If you go with an FAL, PM me, I have some parts I can sell you like an extra scope mount, Magpul stock, etc.

Besides FAL, M1A is a another excellent choice. A quality M1A costs much less than a quality AR and would be my first choice if I couldn't have the AR.

For an HK, if it wasn't a real HK I'd probably stay away. PTR I think bought the HK tooling and may be an exception. SCAR17 may be a good choice if price is right, but if it's close to an SR25 I'd get that instead or the M1A for less to be honest.

Just my $.02. And you mention "more money for more guns"... I'd rather have a few high end rifles and glass vs. a safe full of rack grade shit. It takes a while to build up a respectable armory, best to buy to keep and to not buy junk. Just advice learned through the years, some the hard way.

The majority of you seem to have missed the point that he doesn't want to spend 3k+.

I prefer LMT for a 762 gasser but if I was working on a budget (<$2000) my first choice would be the SR762 and my second would be a M&P10 with all the aftermarket goodies your heart desires.

What do you guys shoot?

Recommend?

Pics would be awesome

thanks in advance!!!

Depends on how much money you've got.

Around 1500 you might find a used POF or PWS rifle, or perhaps Armalite.

I loved my mk214 just be sure to read the manual and put the piston back together properly (it's an AK type thing).

If you're poor there's always the Century/PTR 308s for under 1000 but they aren't particularly accurate and have other issues that make them less fun to shoot vs a decent AR10.

Old guy/ban state you can get an M1A, I've had one for several years now only because my state's laws suck.

Almost forget the FN FAL, that's also an option but not quite as accurate as the other rifles mentioned here.

Ive never fought with my LMT but it wouldn't be the first thing I pull out of my safe if fighting were the plan of the day....

I'd stick with AR15 and if you want something for .308 distances a mag fed, light bolt rifle would be the way to go.

AR10s are pigs weight wise.

If I had to pack a .308 semi Id cut the weight penalty by going with an M1A or consider a SCAR.

AR10’s are pigs, but you’d go with a SCAR or M1A? Interesting... I’d take an AR10 type all day long over both of those.

AR10’s are pigs, but you’d go with a SCAR or M1A? Interesting... I’d take an AR10 type all day long over both of those.

Id take an AR15 or a mag fed .308 bolt gun over an AR10 all day long.

If I wanted .308 semi Id choose an M1A or a SCAR17 over MY LMT all day long assuming the SHTF scenario the OP is posting about.

Too much weight and too much cheese grater to offset any benefit....

P1016645_zpslg3147ot.jpg

I think you missed my point. The weight is very miniscule in comparison. If you’re comparing a SCAR17 heavy to a regular AR10 and even more pronounced with a custom lighter weight build. Yes, humping an AR15 is ideal, but now go up against someone/something armored and the .308 becomes ideal. However, if SHTF, that would be the least of my worries.

I think you missed my point. The weight is very miniscule in comparison. If you’re comparing a SCAR17 heavy to a regular AR10 and even more pronounced with a custom lighter weight build. Yes, humping an AR15 is ideal, but now go up against someone/something armored and the .308 becomes ideal. However, if SHTF, that would be the least of my worries.

Yes SHTF brings out the fantasy in everyone and as you state "what rifle" will become not the least of concerns but there will be more important things to consider.

My rifle as it sits is close to 16-17 pounds with the magpul, scope/mount and other bells and whistles.

Thing is this is Snipers Hide so buying the rifle is the first step, the next is that you want it to stack bullets one on one. That generally leads to weight gain. All the weight o n my gun and I still call it a 1.5 moa gun which probably says more about me than the LMT. I do much better with my bolts.

4 MOA has been the historical acceptable accuracy for battle rifles. Thankfully we live in a time when off the shelf generally cuts that in half.

I think all three rifles I mentioned spec out from the manufacturer at 9 pounds. Sure a slick side LMT may be ounces lighter than a full MWS as a pencil barrel FN may be lighter than the Heavy barrel SEAL gun and a SOCOM is lighter than an M1A but me thinks all the manufacturers fudge the weight on their guns toward the light side because I assure you my LMT is on the porky side. Im considering on going back to the SOPMOD and maybe some more petite glass to get it down to heavy cruiser weight.

Ive handled lots of M1A, not so familiar with FN but some and both "feel" or handle lighter than the LMT.

Weight, ammo and spares are big considerations in the theoretical SHTF scenario if not you must be on the stronger side and you have things like transportation, supply and REMFS. If that is not what you have than weight is critical, you wont have the time to fire a 20 round mag and you are going to want the few shots you get to count to help you run or raid.

and when S does HTF Ill be in Moms basement - fetal.

$1,800 .... Eats anything you feed it, accurate, light weight.

https://www.eurooptic.com/armalite-ar10-308-3-gun-rifle-18-ar103gn18.aspx

I have the 13.5" version of this rifle and I can say that it will not eat anything you feed it, maybe anything brass but not anything steel cased. I didn't have any problems with this rifle till I fed it steel Tula.

I also have an FAL that will eat anything including the Tula, but it might shoot more than one on you with Tula. Bottom line, leave Tula at the store.

FAL has a substantial amount of recoil compared to an AR10 or LR308 and magazines are not as easy to find either. I can get a P-mag just about anywhere.

Have you considered a 6.5 Grendel? It fits in an AR-15 pattern rifle which means that the only "non-spec" parts you have to deal with are the bolt, barrel, and magazine. It has better energy retention than the 5.56 and mimics the ballistics of the 308win. Being that it fits in an AR-15 package, you get a lighter rifle with less recoil than the 308. If you are driven to the 308 then I don't have any opinion on the "battle rifles" mentioned above, other than they were superseded on battle fields by lighter rifles firing smaller bullets for a reason. That, and I am with pmclain that my LR-308 is a porky pig, tipping the scales at or beyond 15 lbs with optic but without ammunition. My AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel is a much more svelt 9 lbs- with optic. You can build a light AR-10, but you really have to be conscious to where the weight is coming from, and from where you can cut it.

just another option (I saw it mentioned elsewhere) is the PWS MK2 line. Right around $2k for a long stroke piston 308. accurate, lightweight enough, durable, and just a nice gun all around. I considered the LMT MWS as well (I have an MRP) but in the end the PWS won me over.

there are other 308 AR's out there, and I had always wanted an AR10-T armalite, but the PWS just seemed to be what I was looking for. I went with a 16" barrel and did some upgrades to the barrel and trigger.

I just tried one out a month ago..For the money its the best AR10 ive shot. It outshoots my twice as expensive custom AR10

Yes Sir.. for a budget rifle it's packed full of features and at least a solid MOA shooter to say the least.

Last edited:
Slick side LMT .308.... I had one and for the money and how accurate it is it’s hard to beat. Just a tank and a true battle rifle. Mine was a solid .9moa performer

Seekins SP10. I was disappointed with it at first as it I couldn't get it anywhere near sub-MOA. Turns out it was me and I had a better shooter show me how it was done. It is just a tad different than an AR-15 and requires more care with fundamentals, at least for me. I have no problem turning out 0.8 MOA 5 shot groups with it. It is more consistent than my M1A Super Match. 11lbs as pictured. This is a great rifle and am glad I didn't spend a lot more on a custom. It usually has a NF NXS on it, but a certain young man swapped it out for this PST.

The bolt gun 308 shoots 0.5 MOA with Berger 185 VLD Hunting, and better with a 175 SMK load my dad cooked up. It has an 18" #4 Rock Creek, McMillian Hunter, Swaro Z6i, and the requisite Triad stock pack. After deer season is done it is going back to Accurate Ordnance for Badger bottom metal as mags are way easier to handle than a BDL setup with gloves or when it's cold and dark. 9lbs as pictured.

For a bunch of pigs in a field, which are usually pretty close, I will take the SP10. For deer, or anything else that requires a bit more care, the bolt gun wins quite easily. It also packs more comfortably.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/P7hLez9.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
Pictures :

308 AR-10 is my favorite ~

NEMO XO 308 20" barrel

POF P308 16.5" barrel

POF P308 P308 12.5" barrel ( tactical or use with Suppressor )

Attachments

• photo78639.jpg
    photo78639.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 43