• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 7.62 Suppressors on a 5.56 rifle???

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
I read somewhere (can't find the article again) that the Surefire 7.62 suppressor will fit on a 5.56 rifle. What I am trying to find out if the 7.62 and 5.56 adapters are the same size? Can I get 5/8x24 and a 1/2" threaded adapter and use the same suppressor?

What model(s) suppressor will work with a FH556-215 flash hider/suppressor adapter?

Thanks
Pat

Re: 7.62 Suppressors on a 5.56 rifle???

308 can hole is bigger so 223 usually works. That being said. aac 762sd ...have heard of problems 223rds hitting the end cap on this can no one seems to know why though.

that is multiple 762sd cans not just a single incident.

I guess the question is....are the 556 and 762 Surefire adapetrs the same so a 762 can will fit on a 556 adapter?

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">308 can hole is bigger so 223 usually works. That being said. aac 762sd ...have heard of problems 223rds hitting the end cap on this can no one seems to know why though. </div></div>

Really? That sucks because I'm planning to pick up a 762sd as my first can and use it on my AR-10 and a few AR15s. Have there been any issues running 6.8 through them?

also, YHM is the same with their phantom QD. one can will fit a QD mount made for an AR15 or a 30 cal version of the same mount. point being that if your using the QD mount, one for a smaller barrel may be available instead of the adaptor

i'm not sure on 6.8. there is a thread about it on silencertalk.com

I guess I'd just call AAC and straight up ask them whats up and if they know why

A FA762K SureFire suppressor will work with that FH556-215 flash hider. I am running a MB762-211C on my .308 rifle. There are no issues running the 762 can on the appropriate 556 adaptor. I have shot mine and demo them to military customers. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is multiple 762sd cans not just a single incident. </div></div>

My understanding is that the factory thread jobs on a lot of the AR barrels is not exactly precise. The lack of concenctriciy with the bore causes the baffle strikes. It is always important to check this before firing your suppressor! Ask me how I know...
cry.gif

I use a 762SD on an AR10 and an AR15. To this day I have had no strikes with several thousand rounds on both rifles.

im curious enough to call aac.

I have been using my 7.62 SD AAC on my 308/6.5/6.8/ and three 223-5.56, and they work fine. All were threaded specifically for the appropriate QD attachment by a gunsmith. No problems, so far. While shooting I do check periodically to insure that the can has not vibrated loose. never had a problem there either.

I talked to Mike at AAC over a year ago about this and he said with the right adaptor and threaded properly should be no problem. Take your gear to a qualified smith and have them do the work. I also have my QD adaptors spot welded just as you would a short barrel on a NFA weapon. I have no intention of taking them off and this is just more assurance that it will not back off.

Make sure the QD adaptor is the right size for the projectile. A 223 adaptor will NOT work with a 6.8. Take my word for it. I put 30 cal adaptors on all my weapons, yep, ya gotta rethread the barrel. That is why I use a gunsmith with a lot of experience.

I have the YHM 308 Phantom and it came with the 5/8-24 QD and I just ordered the AR QD and mounted it it on my Bushmaster M4 with no gunsmithing and definitely no crush washer and its hasn't had a baffle strike. My friend wanted to try the can out on a .22lr AR and we just took the QD off my M4 and screwed it on his. The can works great on all 3 rifles and calibers, especially for the .22 lr (there is only a slight hiss and a thud from impact). So to address the issue of threading, the QD's can be ordered for particular rifles (thread types) and the can will fit all QD's for .308 diameter and lower.

I have a 7.62 Surefire can, and the adapters vary in threads but the lock up on my can is the same between my 5.56 rifles and 7.62. I can post pic's if you need. JPG

One thing about getting the barrel threaded, give your smith the adapter and do not go from spec. I had a very respected smith thread the barrel and the AAC can was tight. Checking the threads, they were damned near perfect, the can was off. My guy said he wants the can at the same time he threads the barrel next time.

I use a Gemtech HVT with the Bi-Lock system. I use the suppressor on my 308's, 6.8mm and 223's. You can get the bi-Lock QD for 5/8x24 and 1/2x 28, The can just goes on the QD and works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is multiple 762sd cans not just a single incident. </div></div>

My understanding is that the factory thread jobs on a lot of the AR barrels is not exactly precise. The lack of concenctriciy with the bore causes the baffle strikes. It is always important to check this before firing your suppressor! Ask me how I know...
cry.gif
</div></div>

What's the best way to check the alignment after installing a can?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakhamr81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1garand30064</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is multiple 762sd cans not just a single incident. </div></div>

cry.gif
</div></div>

What's the best way to check the alignment after installing a can? </div></div>

Shoot it, or look down the barrel and take a look. Make sure there is no moon shape at the end.

There is a slight increase but it depends also on the manufacturer. I have some 308 cans that sound good on a 223 and some that are noticeably louder. Not loud enough to make me buy another can though. I'm running 338 cans on my 308's also

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bmorgan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a slight increase but it depends also on the manufacturer. I have some 308 cans that sound good on a 223 and some that are noticeably louder. Not loud enough to make me buy another can though. I'm running 338 cans on my 308's also </div></div>
im also running a 338 can on my 308 and 300 and they work out pretty well.

I shoot a YHM 762 QD SS on my 223 AR. Hearing safe.
One benefit is that I don't have any noticeable gas blowback in the face like most report with dedicated .223 cans.