• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x39 AR platform

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
Been thinking about getting one of these. Anybody out there have an opinion/experience with the Rock River LAR-47? Any other choices?

Re: 7.62x39 AR platform

I saw the ADD, and thought it was an interesting 'Idea". A very effective cartridge, we've been "fighting", for years. PC problem, is where it comes from. I "chuckle" to myself, when I see all the "new formulas{American}" that try to "copy" it's performance. Looks like Rock River is the "first",In my limited memory, to stick their toe in. Good for them. Never could bring myself, to by an AK.

It is a really bad idea.
The biggest issue to overcome is getting a weapon that is designed to run rimless ammunition to run rimmed ammo.
The geometry causes tons of problems.

The best choice for someone that wants 7.62x39 performance in an AR platform is the 300 BLK.
It is also cheaper and will involve much fewer headaches.

Its been done before, many times, they've had issues from trying to use standard lowers which require a fairly straight upper portion to the mag which doesn't accommodate the highly tapered cartridge very well, and leads to feed issues, in addition to proprietary mags. RRA by using AK mags has probably cured those issues, however they have made a lower that I'm pretty sure one cannot throw any ole upper on, I guess there's a potential accuracy increase and a massive accessory market, but since most shoot "surplus" 7.62x39 which is not very accurate ammo I don't see the point.

I think there are quite a few manufacturers that are selling AR15 sized uppers with the 7.62x39. Yeah, neat round.

Isn't one of the biggest issues with the AR in 7.62x39 finding really good magazines that don't have issues with feed issues?

The issue with the magazines is the straight section of the mag well on an ar.
No matter what, the 7.62x39 will bind if they do not maintain a constant curve.
The only way to effectively deal with this is to have replacement mag wells for the lower.
At that point in time, you are well beyond just getting an upper receiver though.

I've got an Armalite 7.62x39 AR. It was rough at first but I now have it running 100% and absolutely love it. I use it primarily for hogs the extra punch of the 30 cal round without jumping to an AR10 or running more costly ammo such as a 6.8 is a great benefit. Early on I was about to give up on it. Had a failure to feed 1 out of every 50 rounds or so. Ended up sending it back to Armalite where they swapped out the buffer, buffer spring, ejector, ejector spring and reworked the feed ramps. Their explanation was "we've learned a lot since this particular rifle was shipped". Since then it has worked flawlessly and I've put upwards of 3,000 rounds through it. Most of which have been Silver Bear Russian ammo so not the best for it
wink.gif
CProducts 30 round 7.62x39 dedicated magazines feed flawlessly.

If I had it to do all over again I'd jump at the RRA 7.62x39. AK mags and mag well should spare you the trouble I went through to get the rifle to run. You'll love the 7.62x39 on the AR platform.

Even with Silver Bear Russian ammo mine shoots under 2MOA. Improves greatly with quality brass case ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think there are quite a few manufacturers that are selling AR15 sized uppers with the 7.62x39. Yeah, neat round.

Isn't one of the biggest issues with the AR in 7.62x39 finding really good magazines that don't have issues with feed issues?
</div></div>

I've found the former CProducts magazines work best. I have my 7.62x39 running 100% using them. The company has restructured as LCJ Wholesale LCJWholesale Online Store

Oh and if the RRA lower is made to fit AK magazines then that should take care of the magazine feed/reliability issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a really bad idea.
The biggest issue to overcome is getting a weapon that is designed to run rimless ammunition to run rimmed ammo.
</div></div>

Rimmed ammo? Are you thinking 7.62x54? The 7.62x39 is rimless.

I built one from a JD Machine Upper and Lower and found a Citadel 1:10 Twist 16" barrel from a local dealer in So Cal. It's been a great rifle after i figured out the magazines. The CProducts were recomended but I had jamming issues which cause feed problems. I've since moved to the ACS magazines and all my problems disapeared. Cycles very well and I've sent all sorts of different ammo down the tube. Great Coyote and pig gun.

AND, I thank you, sir, for that info!<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got an Armalite 7.62x39 AR. It was rough at first but I now have it running 100% and absolutely love it. I use it primarily for hogs the extra punch of the 30 cal round without jumping to an AR10 or running more costly ammo such as a 6.8 is a great benefit. Early on I was about to give up on it. Had a failure to feed 1 out of every 50 rounds or so. Ended up sending it back to Armalite where they swapped out the buffer, buffer spring, ejector, ejector spring and reworked the feed ramps. Their explanation was "we've learned a lot since this particular rifle was shipped". Since then it has worked flawlessly and I've put upwards of 3,000 rounds through it. Most of which have been Silver Bear Russian ammo so not the best for it
wink.gif
CProducts 30 round 7.62x39 dedicated magazines feed flawlessly.

If I had it to do all over again I'd jump at the RRA 7.62x39. AK mags and mag well should spare you the trouble I went through to get the rifle to run. You'll love the 7.62x39 on the AR platform.

Even with Silver Bear Russian ammo mine shoots under 2MOA. Improves greatly with quality brass case ammo. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a really bad idea.
</div></div>

Rimmed ammo? Are you thinking 7.62x54? The 7.62x39 is rimless.</div></div>
Sorry, I was reffering to the taper of the case and got my Russan mixed up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1-equipment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one put there hands on the new rockriver yet </div></div>

Its not even being produced yet. I ordered one direct back in feb when they first listed them. Called about it last week and was told that they still aren't in production

I ran several thousand rounds through a model 1 sales upper, with a AR15performance superbolt plus C-Products magazines without a hiccup. The round really shines in the AR platform with respect to accuracy and having the ability to fire a .30 caliber cartridge in an AR-15 weight weapon.

Great...deer round.

I hope RRA makes it work well. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Another 200-300 ft/lbs at that muzzle and larger frontal area. Many manufacturers now produce fantastic ammuntion for hunting in this cartridge.

The round gets a bad rap...but produces when the weapon it's fired from is up to the task and the ammunition is in spec with what many would consider acceptable for accuracy and lethality.

Speaking of "Rimmed ammo", My DREAM GUN, is a 44 Mag, with a 30 Rnd clip. I've got 2, of the old Rugers. 4 shots doesn't "do it", for me.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a really bad idea. PS, I'm not that good, on the russian, either.
</div></div>

Rimmed ammo? Are you thinking 7.62x54? The 7.62x39 is rimless.</div></div>
Sorry, I was reffering to the taper of the case and got my Russan mixed up... </div></div>

I like the 7.62x39 and would probably find it easy to appreciate an AR chambered for such.

I know I have a "Stag Arms Fixation"; but they would appear to do a nice job with the 6.8SPC (which I don't really covet), and could probably do at least as good a job with the 7.62x39 (which I do, mainly because highly affordable ammo is becoming as common as popcorn). I also really do think they would find a ready and eager market.

As is said above, and borne out with my Savage Scout, the 7.62x39 graduates to become a decently accurate and forgivingly modest performer when fired in a good platform. Smaller folks could dine heavily on such a treat.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been thinking about getting one of these. Anybody out there have an opinion/experience with the Rock River LAR-47? Any other choices? </div></div>

That Russian ammo will make your gun dirty as hell. Keep squirting break free in to break up the carbon.

Alpha shooting sports, sota arms, model 1 sales, bushmaster, armalite, etc, all had or have x39 uppers. I sold an M1S upper in winter so I could get a pistol or carbine. You can find them used for 500 up. FOund one for 700 with 6 mags and alot of extra parts.

I totally agree with Greg. The cz527 is also proof of this rounds accuracy potential. They even chamber that rifle to fire the cheap ammo well. That is gonna be my sons first deer rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 7.62x39 and would probably find it easy to appreciate an AR chambered for such.

I know I have a "Stag Arms Fixation"; but they would appear to do a nice job with the 6.8SPC (which I don't really covet), and could probably do at least as good a job with the 7.62x39 (which I do, mainly because highly affordable ammo is becoming as common as popcorn). I also really do think they would find a ready and eager market.

As is said above, and borne out with my Savage Scout, the 7.62x39 graduates to become a decently accurate and forgivingly modest performer when fired in a good platform. Smaller folks could dine heavily on such a treat.

Greg </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally agree with Greg. The cz527 is also proof of this rounds accuracy potential. They even chamber that rifle to fire the cheap ammo well. That is gonna be my sons first deer rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the 7.62x39 and would probably find it easy to appreciate an AR chambered for such.

Greg </div></div> </div></div>

+1 for the CZ 527 7.62x39 carbine. I have one and it's great complement to my armalite 7.62x39 AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a1-equipment</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one put there hands on the new rockriver yet </div></div>

I fondled one at the NRA convention. I thought it was "neat" but isn't something I'm too excited about. I have a family friend who works for RRA and he said they are surprisingly accurate. I'm just not that into the 7.63x39. I have an AK and feed it cheap ammo. I really wish the round used .308 bullets instead of the .311. This would really open up the reloading market. When I'm in the market for a mid-caliber AR-15, I'll look at the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, and 300BLK before the 7.62x39.

Well FYI I built mine to shoot the cheapest ammo I could get my hands on, something like 2.99 a box of 20 down here. it is surprisingly accurate for a 7.62x39 out of the ar platform. I know there is a P mag in my pic but it is just for show.