• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x39 AR upper

SQUATCH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
In a Cave
Just wondering if anyone runs or has run this upper before. I am interested in getting one for hunting purposes. I know I could buy an AK or Saiga but ergonomics and weight of the AR is good for me. I know there is some tweaks (extra strong hammer spring, and specific firing pin) needed to make it work reliably. Just wondering if anyone knows good sites to buy them as well as stories good or bad with them.

Re: 7.62x39 AR upper

Bulding one now for a buddy, still waiting on some parts to come in.

What I turned up was really there is only one option for bolts that works reliably and that is the one made by MGI. Its very expensive for an AR bolt but if thats what needed to run reliably then I suppose the cost is worth it.

C-products have a bad rap from their first attempts with Colt a few years ago but it SEEMS as though they have improved (we will see).

I didnt see hamer springs being a problem as long as you have a mill spec LPK in the lower. Main issue I was able to dig up after months of googling was the firing pin potrusion. Seems some of the cheaper bolts use an AR15 firing pin. MGI bolt is suppose to have the proper pin but I also read guys would sand down the AR 15 pin to get a bit more potrusion.

Like I said its not done so this is all based on what I have read the last few months while planning the build. If it works great if not...it will be converted back into a 556.

I have been using a custom built 7.62x39 upper for sometime that has been 100% reliable with every type of ammo put through it. What I have found to be the biggest stumbling blocks for the 7.62x39 AR is the bolt/firing pin and the magazines.

The new magazines from c-products seem to be 100% reliable now as I have had zero issue with them.

The bolt/firing pin have been my biggest issue as I have tried several brands and had problems with proper detonation of the harder primers from import ammo. I also had issues with the MGI bolt/firing pin as well. It would only work about 60% of the time.

The current bolt/firing pin I use that has been 100% reliable is from LMT. Sadly they stopped making them but they might still have some available.

I know Armalite makes the 7.62x39 as a complete rifle and I would imagine their bolt system works like it should but I have not tried it. Again though, from my experience with two MGI's they were not reliable.

Funny thing is out of all my AR's the 7.62x39 is my personal favorite. One heck of a pig gun out to about 150 yards!

I have a Colt 7.62 x 39 upper that I got a long time ago. I changed nothing except mags and it ran every type of ammo I put through it including the German plastic cored training ammo. On a few different lowers and a Colt Full Auto lower with frankenmags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OLD18C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Colt 7.72 x 39 upper that I got a long time ago. I changed nothing except mags and it ran every type of ammo I put through it including the German plastic cored training ammo. On a few different lowers and a Colt Full Auto lower. </div></div>

Sounds like you got a good one then. I had a colt 7.62x39 about 15 years ago and honestly I do not know how well it did as back then the magazines never really worked that well. I guess it worked pretty good with the 5 rounder colt magazine which in fact was a 5rd colt 223 mag with 7.62x39 stamped on it.

The answer to your problem is Model 1 Sales. Google it. You have to call them directly, but they know exactly what you need. I have a bushmaster 7.62x39 upper that didn't work AT ALL. I upgraded the trigger spring to a Wolf trigger spring, it's about twice as stiff. That got me to about 75%. With the firing pin from Model 1, I'm 100% regardless of what lower I use it on.