• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x39 or 300 Blackout

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Thinking about getting a new upper. Probably going with either 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout. Probable use would be coyotes. Won't be reloading for it. What's your recommendation? Thanks.

No reload, go 7.62. And maybe sks for that matter. (I know terrible accuracy). Cheap rounds and easy to get ahold of. Unless shooting suppressed. Then go .300

Unless you have money to burn or aren't going to shoot it very often, I'd definitely go 7.62x39. I'm assuming AR platform, so a good barrel will bring you within a minute of a coyote.

I've found the 7.62x39 (in a domestically made barrel with a .308" bore) can shoot very nicely with 110 V-Max/IMR-4198 handloads. But the case taper does not work so well in an AR, and I have yet to find a tight shooting SKS or AK that's worth handloading for.

I shoot 1 hole at 50yd with an older bolt action Savage Scout 7.62x39. Swapped out the Scout scope base for a conventional one; there's no viable rationale for the Scout mount, might be if there was a stripper clip slot. Just getting this project back onto the front burner, will be trying our 110gr GMX bullets later this year.

A friend shoots the .300AAC and loves it in his AR. Making brass can be troublesome, but he forges on.

Greg

Last edited:
Both those rounds absolutely suck for coyote hunting.

300 BLK also offers the benefit of keeping your original bolt and magazines. We are a new commercial vendor here and offer a great coyote load, along with the least expensive new subsonic load on the market.

https://secure.modernarmsinternation...nition-300blk/
wczM1q3.jpg
UV5vFbd.jpg

Last edited:
We charge exactly what UPS charges us. As a new shipper, we don't get the same rates as the big warehouses. As we ship more, our shipping costs will come down.

x39 traditionally has feeding problems out of AR-pattern rifles. This is due to the taper of the case, and the (straight) shape of the AR mag well.

In regard to the price of ammo, cheap ammo will tend to be inconsistent and therefore inaccurate... this is the hallmark of the x39 round. Quality x39 ammo isn't any less expensive than quality 300BLK. If you're going to stick with the AR platform, I'd go with the 300BLK for the ease of feeding/functioning alone.

x39 traditionally has feeding problems out of AR-pattern rifles. This is due to the taper of the case, and the (straight) shape of the AR mag well.

In regard to the price of ammo, cheap ammo will tend to be inconsistent and therefore inaccurate... this is the hallmark of the x39 round. Quality x39 ammo isn't any less expensive than quality 300BLK. If you're going to stick with the AR platform, I'd go with the 300BLK for the ease of feeding/functioning alone.

^ Good info there. That is pretty much the reason that the 300 BLK was developed, that and the fact that it can operate reliably subsonic and suppressed as well.

Good, reliable magazines have not really been available for the 7.62x39 in the past, and the reduced material on the bolt due to the larger case diameter has lead to bolts cracking as well.