• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x54r loads

falluchi624

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
South Jersey
Want to try and load for 7.62x54.

Anyone having good results? looking for some specifics.

What bullet, diameter, weight, powder, primer etc.

Have you slugged your barrel? Is there a particular type of ammo that it shoots well with now? If there is, I'd suggest measuring the diameter of that bullet as a good starting point. Personally, I've used IMR 4895, 150 grain bullets for .303 brit, and CCI primers. It seemed to outperform the surplus I'd been shooting, but I only had a small amount of brass, and every time I say I'm going to buy factory ammo in reloadable cases, I end up buying really cheap surplus instead...

There is a lot you can do with an old Mosin. Like dorklord said you will want to slug your barrel. Russian ones have been known to run .310- .314 dia. Cast bullets actually work very well in them as well. There are a few Lee molds that work well and you can use their bullet sizes in conjunction to get the right diameter. Going back to the 1800's these were originally loaded with black powder and cast bullets. It's one of the few cartridges that has withstood the test of time, bullet and powder changes!
I would have to dig through some of my notes to give you some of the specific recipes.

Something is up with your links. They seem to go to a google analytics page which says I'm not allowed to see this content or it doesn't exist.

Im in the middle of sporterizing one. should finish by the end of next week. Will post a thread with pics.

I haven't shot it yet so Im not sure what ammo it likes. I will have to break out the calipers and measure the muzzle to see what it comes out to. I purchased some ppu match ammo so I will see what that does to start. really hoping to get sub moa.

thanks for the info guys