• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62x54r StaBall and 168gr tmk

Redpltdoc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2010
Hello,
I'm trying to see if anyone has tried the StaBall with the 7.62x54r? I had a barrel made for my nagant years ago, 24" benchmark barrel, 1-10 twist. Chambered for the 7.62x54r case and .308 Dia bore. I wanted to try the StaBall with the 168gr sierra tipped matchkings for the BC. I'm waiting for a magnetospeed to get mv when i actuallyget a day to go out. I figured I might have to go up to 175gn but I wanted to start with 168 first. I plan on doing a ladder test when I get the chrono. I started at 46gr working down to 44.2.

I'm also working on my remington 308, 1-12 twist with the same powder and sierra 168gr TMK. Both are getting cci Large rifle primers #200.

Ps. Be gentle about the 7.62x54r

I love it, got my first antelope with it after the rebarrel with garbage 150gr steel. Really want to see if it can get to 1,000

There was a time when I was wayyy more involved in old military rifles than anything else. I even had a C&R license. I never reloaded for any of them though. I always shot surplus ammo. Would be interesting to see if anyone on here has gone down that path.

It should work just fine. 4064 is a very popular powder for 7.62x54 and Staball Match is similar in burn rate.

The Finns did load a bunch of x54 back in the day with .308 bullets, mostly for the m28/30.

Make sure your die sizes your case neck for .308 and not .311. Specific dies are needed for this, and are available.

My brothers load:

New Hornady brass, 46.0 grains Varget, .312” 150 Hornady Spire Point bullets (made for .303 British cartridges). Something like 2670 fps.

It’s around WWII vintage from what I can remember. Original barrel. Shoots pretty good.

44gr varget will get you past 1K with a 174gr hpbt sierra. Or 45gr of rl15. With several Finn m39 rifles and a real 1943 ishv 9130 sniper

You didn’t find that mosin in a dumpster did you?
No not in a dumpster. Friend of mine that was Cav gave to me for my birthday many moons ago.

It did shoot like garbage until I slugged my bore. It was .311, the factory ammo actually loads .308 bullets. I'm surprised I ever hit anything with it before I started loading .311. Then when benchmark was kind enough to make and install the barrel I went back to .308 Dia bullets.

Thanks Tommy boy and bandit320, if I can find some varget I'll try those. I was using sierra HPBT, so have quite a few 168 and 174 of 175, not looking at my bullets right now. Thought I would try the TMK just to see.

From what I can tell the StaBall has similar burn rates to varget, or an i missing something?

Is varget more accessible now or still short supply?
44gr varget will get you past 1K with a 174gr hpbt sierra. Or 45gr of rl15. With several Finn m39 rifles and a real 1943 ishv 9130 sniper

No not in a dumpster. Friend of mine that was Cav gave to me for my birthday many moons ago.

It did shoot like garbage until I slugged my bore. It was .311, the factory ammo actually loads .308 bullets. I'm surprised I ever hit anything with it before I started loading .311. Then when benchmark was kind enough to make and install the barrel I went back to .308 Dia bullets.
Don’t take that personally, I said that in reference to another thread on here about a guy claiming to find a gun in a dumpster.

Cool rifle, and best of luck with load development.
I have a 91/30 and an M44. Bought before prices went crazy, but I just shoot surplus 54r out of them.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but here's my 174gr SMK load for my SVDs

174gr SMK
45.4gr IMR4064
1 x fired PPU
CCI 34 LRP
OAL: 2.940"
Fully closed Lee FCD crimp

10rd group

Lo: 2494
Hi: 2537
Avg: 2511
ES: 43
SD: 11.7

I have a bunch of IMR 4064 still, but I'm interested to see how the StaBall Match works for you in the 54R as I've been thinking about picking some up.

ETA: I presume you're talking about StaBall Match in this post and not the StaBall 6.5. Might want to clarify that in your OP.

Yes StaBall match, should go to the range soon now the chrono showed up. I'm going to do some 308 also.

Someday, if I ever get the money I would love to have an SVD. Got to shoot one in the army with the Estonia guys that were attached to us. It was pretty awesome.

Don’t take that personally, I said that in reference to another thread on here about a guy claiming to find a gun in a dumpster.

Cool rifle, and best of luck with load development.
I have a 91/30 and an M44. Bought before prices went crazy, but I just shoot surplus 54r out of them.
I didn't take that personally. Sorry playing catch up, my kid gave me some disease from school. I've been in slow noting for a week now. I think the only thing I would have done differently was also build a hex receiver along with the rounded one I have, just to see how much more the hex could handle. Again, not going max pressure, but I am more cautious with the receiver I have.