• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Howa 1500 .308 168gr or 178gr??

Kjclark45

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2020
I just picked up a Howa 1500 American Flag Chassis in .308 and am having trouble deciding on what bullet to run. Ideally I would try multiple but finances are a little tight so hoping to get a head start and see what people like running. As of now I am looking at running either Hornady ELD-M or SMK's in either 168gr or 178gr. The gun came with a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist. This will mostly be a range toy going shooting 400+ yards with the hope to take it to 1000. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

I just picked up a Howa 1500 American Flag Chassis in .308 and am having trouble deciding on what bullet to run. Ideally I would try multiple but finances are a little tight so hoping to get a head start and see what people like running. As of now I am looking at running either Hornady ELD-M or SMK's in either 168gr or 178gr. The gun came with a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist. This will mostly be a range toy going shooting 400+ yards with the hope to take it to 1000. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
When they become available again, you should take a close look at the 169 SMK's. 168 SMK's work very well at less than 700 yds and are easy to find an accurate load.