• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 PRC build questions

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
I've never build a bolt gun, plenty of ARs though. I was wanting to put together a 7 PRC that weighs about 7 pounds, maybe a shade under. I was think an origin action and a proof barrel. Can't really decide between 22" and 24". Any suggestions on stocks? What about bottom metal, is there a way to do a detachable mag with that setup? Thoughts?

Reactions: The D
You're on the bleeding edge with the 7 PRC. No ammo or brass is available yet (except for RCC at $6 per). That being said, it's a pretty standard long action chambering. There are tons of stock and bottom metal options, including DBMs. Anything that will work for a 300 Win or 7 Rem Mag will work great with the PRC.

This chambering is on my radar, but I am waiting for a company like Lapua or ADG to commit to brass before I take the plunge.

For your first bolt rifle, I'd recommend a 7 Rem Mag over the PRC due to the lack of component availability. Give the PRC a year or two otherwise you are going to be frustrated by a lack of ammo and components.

A few people mentioned in another thread that RCC has filed bankruptcy. Rumor in the thread was that people in the know were pretty confident the company would survive but it will be a while before they are turning out any products

I just put in an order with PVA for one of their CF osprey barrels on a nucleus action. Went with 22” barrel. Watched a video from hill country rifles, the 22” barrel was still getting 2900+fps with Hornady factory ammo. Should be a sweet do all big game rifle.

HCR’s 20” barrel was just a few fps shy of 2900 with the Hornady 175s

Did I need it… no. Did I want it… yes

Reactions: Hkmiller and bohem