• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 rem mag loads for heavy bullets?

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I am going to pick up my new 7 rem mag barreled action tomorrow from benchmark barrels. it isn't anything crazy just a trued up 700 with a 28" braked medium palma 9tw 3 groove benchmark barrel, chamber cut with a match reamer throated for 160gr and up bullets.

So my question is what loads are working best for you guys and what powders/primers/brass. i am pretty set on using the cautericio 176gr vld's since i bought 1500 of them, but any load data for other bullets will help in terms of getting a good starting point. I have 3.6" max available in my aics magazine so that is my only limiting factor. I appreciate all you input.

Re: 7 rem mag loads for heavy bullets?

Never use those bullets, but with 175 SMKs I'm loading 71.0 grains of Retumbo at 3.40 in Remington brass with a Win LRM primer. That gives me a little under 3,100 fps. It's worth noting that my barrel has been nitrided and may give more velocity and less pressure than an untreated barrel. I'd say start at 68gr and work up. Retumbo seems to be very stable when it comes to temperature changes and accuracy is excellent as well. I tried RL25 and liked it a lot, but it's pretty temperature sensitive, so I dropped it.

I run 63 gr of R22 under the 180 gr smk at 2950 from a 26" Krieger. I have some Retumbo to try but it shoots so well now not sure I want to mess with it.

I run 70 gr R22 under the 180 gr VLD moly 3.34" 3025 fps Ruger #1 26" barrel.

I am going to stop that, because the great groups at 100y are not translating well at 500y, as I think the twist rate of that barrel is nine point something.

I did shoot 3 mule does with that load in 2010.

I really like the RL25 and 180 Bergers @ 3.46" with a 215m primer. I'm running 2950fps.

i run 67grs if rl-25 @ 2850fps on 175gr smk its the best load ive found so far

70-71gr of Retumbo or 69-70gr of H1000 with a 180 Berger seems to work pretty well. Start a little lower for different lots of powder. Retumbo seems to vary quite a bit. In a 28" barrel I generally see right at 3100fps pretty easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">70-71gr of Retumbo or 69-70gr of H1000 with a 180 Berger seems to work pretty well. Start a little lower for different lots of powder. Retumbo seems to vary quite a bit. In a 28" barrel I generally see right at 3100fps pretty easily.</div></div>

now thats what i am talking about sweet load thanks travis will chat more this weekend with you about it.