• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 sherman MAX

I know, but since Max is also a LA I'm very curious to see what kind of performance the 7mm Max will deliver. It may make me change my mind.

Reactions: HogsLife
My smith is chambering my barrel as we speak for the 7 Max. I bought the reamer and adding some FB for the Berger 195 at OAL 3.200 on a LA. I will post probably in a few month. Should be a good combo!

Bjay hows the load developing going?

Room to go hotter w the Berger 195? What OAL are you running?

I've done some pressure testing vo spreads on 180hyb, 195 eol, and 151 pva Cayuga in my 7max. Rifles only 8# 2oz scoped so pretty light.
LPA Razor Ti long action
Huber 2 stage
Ag Composites visigoth
Hawkins bdl setup w/ 3.7" cfe box
Hawkins 30mm hybrids
March 3-24x42
Barrel length?

Im hoping to hit the 3k fps mark w the 190 A-tip and good accuracy. To the guys loading the A-tips, how are they seating without a modified seating stem?

I have the Whidden dies for the 7 Max so i should be good.

I've done some pressure testing vo spreads on 180hyb, 195 eol, and 151 pva Cayuga in my 7max. Rifles only 8# 2oz scoped so pretty light.
LPA Razor Ti long action
Huber 2 stage
Ag Composites visigoth
Hawkins bdl setup w/ 3.7" cfe box
Hawkins 30mm hybrids
March 3-24x42
How well does it feed in the bdl I’m looking at building one in a defiance long action with a bdl set up for hunting.

Last edited:
Feeds like crap to be honest. The cfe box helped. So far I'm not seeing the performance Rich said the case would get. Truthfully I'm not a fan of operating at 75-85k psi to achieve the advertised velocity. Building a 7-300prc to get 195s to 3000 and 180s to 3100 safely at low pressure. There's efficiency, then there's stupidity.
I would agree, some of his numbers are a absolute best case scenarios. But overall, I'm fairly happy with what I'm getting out of my 7 max with a 22" barrel. I'm equaling or surpassing velocity in my 7 Rem mag with a 3.5" shorter barrel and less recoil...burning a touch less powder.

I'm still fine tuning but it looks like my final load will be somewhere in the 3225-3270 fps range running 69ish gr of RL 26. I'm basically .5-.75gr from a shiny ejector stamp and an extracter mark from a tikka bolt.

I hope to see someone get some pressure numbers for this caliber so we can see what's really going. No doubt they're running higher than your standard calibers...but is it dangerous? My brass doesn't seem to think so... At least not yet.

I would agree, some of his numbers are a absolute best case scenarios

This is one of the reasons I didn’t go the Sherman route, after some research and seeOmg real world numbers it just wasn’t worth it to me.

I’d definitely go that route before a 7mm RM though.

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I didn’t go the Sherman route, after some research and seeOmg real world numbers it just wasn’t worth it to me.
Really depends on how you look at it I guess. I was set on a 7 saum, but when I looked at what it cost to get good brass and dies it really wasn't that much difference if you're going to build. I read about guys getting similar performance out of factory 7 saums in model 7s but they seem like the few minority. The whole point of this build for me was to build a compact 7mm to hunt suppressed and still equal or pass my 7mm mag in performance. That mission has been accomplished. If I could do it over again I'd probably go with another inch on the pipe just to help out a bit with velocity.

I'm no expert by any means, but I feel like a 7mm 145 gr solid @ 3250 fps out of a 22" tube is impressive.

Reactions: JTH and HogsLife
Following. I’m having a barreled action built by straight jacket armory, hoping to get it at the end of June.

Any updates on performance?

26" proof. But honestly, how can you ask a case with 78gr capacity to hang with a case with 25gr more like the 28N? If a guy could get 2900 and accuracy, be happy, as that's where top of normal pressure curves are. My load at 3000fps was likely pushing 80k psi.
Well reading what Sherman says near 3000 is the goal with 195’s.

maybe 2950 is near 3000.

I can get 2850 with 195’s with my 7 saum with a 28” barrel without destroying brass.

The extra powder in 7 max isn’t accomplishing a lot at 2900 but I agree that at that speed it would probably be a fantastically stable load with excellent performance

Reactions: BCX
If i cant get the velocity 190/195 w good accuracy than 180 class should get there. Im my research guys like the Berger 180s better for hunting.

Reason i built on a LA, easy cartridge change to a barrel burnin 28 Nosler LOL!

Mark just called. Rifle is finished. Time to load up to start fire forming next weekend.

We need to join the 2-3 threads on the 7 Max.

Reactions: bjay
I had Garret Preece in Utah just build me a 7mm max and if I knew it would feed like crap I might not have gone with it in the BDL. I’m hoping to shoot the 180gr VLDH’s built it to wack pigs at 800yards at the ranch in south Texas. Rich told me they were having great results and speed with the Berger 175eol’s and the 180vldh’s with RL-23. So I think that’s what I’m gonna start with.
Wonder if I can modify the BDL box and follower to help with feeding issues?

HS Precision DBM should be a direct replacement for BDL style bottom metal. My 7 max feeds no problem.

Last edited:
I installed a wyatt's cfe13 mag box for center feed instead of off the lips. It's a heck of a lot better than it was with a mbe mag box. I do like the idea of the hs precision dbm, however it adds weight. I was trying to keep mine as light as possible. Its 6.7# minus optics.
Not sure on the weight difference but i would guess .5 lb w the mag.

Anyone play w the 190 A-Tips yet? I should have a load worked up in a couple weekends.

Was that in the old barrel?

Just looking to shoot a few deer later this season w the Berger 195 and Hornady A-Tips to compare. Sticking w the Berger 190 for steel plates.

Reactions: HogsLife
Speeds w what bullet? Have not loaded the 190 A-Tip yet.

Yes, i posted the MagnetoSpeed pic in the other thread. Ran them to 3003 FPS but settled on 2910 FPS. Just loaded up 3 charge weights. All shot sub .5 moa at 100. Settled on the lowest SD ES and took that load to a mile.

Reactions: Steel head
26 inch Proof which should speed up a bit w N570.

Making me want to just try to sell the 190 A-Tips lol
Try them.
Maybe they’ll kick ass for you.
The BC is impressive.
I wouldn’t hunt with anything that seems that fragile though.
Even the 195EOL has bit of a suspect reputation as a hunting bullet but I’m not saying that with first hand experience.

Reactions: BCX