• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 sherman short

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Does anyone here load for the 7 SS? Any loads w/ h1000 or H4831 SC for 180gr class of bullets that can be shared?

62gr H1000 with 180 Berger Hybrids loaded to 2.92 gets me 2,990 FPS, single digit SD, ragged holes at 100, and hits beyond a mile.

Of course your mileage may vary, and you should build up slowly...

62gr H1000 with 180 Berger Hybrids loaded to 2.92 gets me 2,990 FPS, single digit SD, ragged holes at 100, and hits beyond a mile.

What’s your barrel length?

62.1 H1000 180 Berger VLD gets me 2970 out of a 26" Proof Sendero. I ran it over 63 grains, but was too hot and I got some loose primer pockets. I shot sub .5 moa at 100 and took it out at distance good. I was at about 10-12 fps on SD. I think it benefits from the slower powders to get the higher velocities.

I picked up some IMR 8133 and Retumbo and will come back with results.

Reactions: CStroud
    61.6 grains of N560 under a 180 vld got 3050, a little on the hot side

Just got mine back from TS customs last week, and won’t have time to mess with it until at least Thanksgiving. @5RWill said he probably won’t be able to load for his until Christmas. Hopefully it won’t take either of us that long to get started.

Reactions: Mudmarine
    Are these being built on short actions or long actions? What’s the COAL with 180’s? What are they feeding from? Sorry, I don’t know much about this cal.

I've done a bunch of testing with Reloader 26 and H1000 using 180 hybrids, 175 elite hunters and the 195 EOL. I'll try and post a picture of my results later today but its at home now. PM me and I can send you a picture as well so i won't forget.

If i remember right my 175 Elite hunter load that i ended with is 215M primers, 61 grains of R26 with a coal of 2.915 (it was .020 off the lands) which was going 3000 fps and my 180 hybrid load is 60 grains of R26 with a 2.920 coal which was going 2950ish. H1000 with a similar charge weight was 75-100 fps slower

In my 300 sherman magnum the H1000 actually got me to a higher speed than the reloader could before they started showing pressure. that gun shoots a 215 berger at 3100 fps with 83 grains of H1000 and shoots the 230 OTM at 3000 fps. both guns have 26 inch proof barrels

Reactions: jafo96
    I’m at 180 rounds on the 7ss and it’s speed up just a tiniest bit but here is my initial load work up

Attachments

• 1C012C1D-141C-44CA-884B-39400F0D3594.jpeg
      1C012C1D-141C-44CA-884B-39400F0D3594.jpeg
      593.3 KB · Views: 430
    I tried Retumbo, but it is too slow with the 180s. Didn't get anywhere close before I was compressing the charge even with a drop tube.

I tried Retumbo, but it is too slow with the 180s. Didn't get anywhere close before I was compressing the charge even with a drop tube.

I ended up getting some R33 to try with the 195s but kinda what I figured for the 180s. Seems that the H1000, R23 and the R26 powders do better with that class of bullet

@padom

Can you pin this thread or can we pin a thread for the Sherman wildcats in order to share load data.

Hey all,

I'm in the middle of a 7ss build and I'm planning to run the 195 EOLs. I was looking at RE26, H1000 and VV N565, does anyone have information regarding what powders I should look into or velocity I should expect?

Extra points if you can point me to a Quickload cartridge file / H2O capacity so I can model it. I've mainly been rendering from a modified 7mm SAUM

Bighorn TL3 SA, Proof 24" 1:8T CF

@ShermanR is the man behind the cartridges. RL 26, N565, and 4831 sc have produced the best speeds from what I've read. I'm running H1000 in mine, and @5RWill is running RL26 and he's 100 fps faster than me, both running 24" proofs. On a side note, I keep hearing of a different reamer specifically for the 195's, any truth to that @ShermanR ?

I've got a 26 inch. with R26 I can get the 175 Elite running 3000, the 180 hybrids going 2920 but the 195s would only go to the low 2700s so gave up on them. bought some R33 to give them a try but haven't had time yet.

I ran 60, 60.5 and 61 grains of RL 26 under 180 vlds out of a 26" Proof CF barrel. 60.5 gave me 3000 fps and no pressure signs. 61 gave me 3020ish and no pressure signs. I was at 60 grains of H1000 and it was giving me about 2970 and it was close to pressure. It was good, but didn't group nearly as nice as the RL 26 seems to.

I was zeroing a scope, shot about a .25 moa three shot group with the 60.5, and then went to work shooting it long range. Performed fantastic. Based on all the information I have seen and Rich's load data out of his cases, I figured it would be good right in that node so I could run with it. I loaded 20 at 60.5 and shot them all. I loaded up 5 each at 60 and 61 as bookends just to test.

The velocity data is still in my LabRadar if anyone is interested, I can post it up later.

Any updates on 195s or 190s?

Unfortunately I gave up on them and have been using the 175H. My buddy uses the 180 ELDM and really likes them but neither of us could get the 195s fast enough to make them equal to or better than the lighter bullets

Is the 183 SMK too long for this in short action? Too long for 1:8.5 twist?

I can measure again if you want exact numbers but I remember that to fit it in the mag it pushed the bearing surface below the neck should junction.

Thanks. That’s surely the case. (Ahem).
    I think that bullet would be better suited in a 7Mag. Probably need to spin a bit faster too.

Last edited:
    Unfortunately I gave up on them and have been using the 175H. My buddy uses the 180 ELDM and really likes them but neither of us could get the 195s fast enough to make them equal to or better than the lighter bullets
    Thanks! I have a 28" blank coming to go on a tikka action. Having a tough time making up my mind but I think I'm going saum

Thanks! I have a 28" blank coming to go on a tikka action. Having a tough time making up my mind but I think I'm going saum

there really close. I think the Sherman is better designed with the shorter overall case and 40 degree give it similar case capacity. 195s will be though to run in either with a short action but the saums larger following is a plus. Either way it’s a great short action magnum

Reactions: Ajrich
    there really close. I think the Sherman is better designed with the shorter overall case and 40 degree give it similar case capacity. 195s will be though to run in either with a short action but the saums larger following is a plus. Either way it’s a great short action magnum
    Rich does have brass on sale too which makes it a tough decision. I feel like the adg brass I got for my 25 SST isnt nearly as tough as my PRC brass tho 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: HogsLife
    Decided for sure saum today, also switching it to a 30" tube (if they let me). Plan to run 190 a-tips and bergers
    2850 is easy with the 190 and you’ll probably get faster.
    ADG brass has been impressive so far.
    Both those bullets are impressive.

Reactions: Ajrich
    Decided for sure saum today, also switching it to a 30" tube (if they let me). Plan to run 190 a-tips and bergers

If your going with a 30 inch tube then length or weight isn’t an issue. Why not go 7 Sherman magnum? Push those pills well over 3100 FPS.

If your going with a 30 inch tube then length or weight isn’t an issue. Why not go 7 Sherman magnum? Push those pills well over 3100 FPS.
    I'm uncertain on brass after having my SST and I'd like to get 1000+ rounds.

That's great to hear! H1000?
    Some H1000 in the beginning, mostly R26.
    With H1000 you’ll need a long action or single feed a short action to get enough powder in to get up to full speed with 180’s and heavier.
    No volume problems at all with R26.

Some H1000 in the beginning, mostly R26.
    With H1000 you’ll need a long action or single feed a short action to get enough powder in to get up to full speed with 180’s and heavier.
    No volume problems at all with R26.
    PM inbound to not get thread to off topic