• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 stw?? long range

bmathistsu

Private
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2009
TX
guys thinking bout building one in a bolt action either reminton or stiller action any body shootin one for long range or long range hunting,,,,what do yall think, any hunting stories or long range reports would be awesome thanks guys

Re: 7 stw?? long range

7mm stw is a great longrange cartridge, but don't expect to get more than 800 rds through it before you lose accuracy.

I have a 7wsm that is pretty bad ass. I killed a bobcat this last season with it. I shot a 162amas right through the shoulder. The cat didn't move. Had a smaller hole than every other time I killed one with a 243.

I'm hoping to get 1800-2000 rounds out of the wsm.

Can really tear an elk up.

I run mine with a custom brake and it tames it into a kitten.

Like most people said it will eat barrels but shooting 150 grain pills I am getting moa or better accuracy. I'll try to make some paper tonight with it.

AS a long range hunting rifle the 7 STW is hard to beat. I have been shooting one since 1990 and with only 312 rounds down the tube it is still a 1/4 minute rifle.
When it comes to a long range target rifle, perhaps running strings of ten shots at a time, the rifle barrel would probably burn-out about the time you got settled in with it.
As far as stories, to date the STW is responsible for two of the longest shots I have made on game. Two white-tail doe, two shots back to back at 739 yds. Both hit the ground like being struck by lightning...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm stw is a great longrange cartridge, but don't expect to get more than 800 rds through it before you lose accuracy. </div></div>

My shooting partner just recently rechambered his 7STW to 300WM.

That thing was a freaking laser. Trace was unbelievably flat compared to my 300WM out to 1000 yds.

It shot 3/8" groups of 5 at 200 yds. I witnessed it. But one day, in the middle of a session, it just stopped shooting. Just like that.

Took it to a smith and borescoped it. No lands for at least 10" after the chamber!

All that speed has a price.

John