• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 WSM action...

justinbaker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2007
new mexico
dumb question but what are the differences in a remy 700 SA and Magnum SA?

trying to help my dad piece together the parts for his first custom gun, and he is set on the 7 wsm

if were sticking with a factory 700 to have blueprinted, do we need to have a magnum action, or can you just replace the bolt in a normal 700 SA?

and so i dont have to make another post, whats everyone using for a DBM in the WSM calibers?

Re: 7 WSM action...

The action is the same you just need a bolt with a magnum bolt face or have your bolt face opened up and a sako extractor installed but it is more efficent to just sell your bolt and put in a one peice bolt. Also Cdi makes a good bottom metal and I've been using the m5 from stocky stocks bolth are reasonable priced.

The 7WSM that I'm currently building uses a standard R700 short action, PT&G bolt w/ "mini M16" extractor, and Surgeon bottom metal with Alpha Type 3 mags.

thanks guys!

looks like the most economical way to do this is to start with a short action magnum, so i dont have to buy another bolt

brownells has the actions for $370 right now, so any reason i shouldnt go that route?

None what so ever. Should make a great rifle for your pops!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7WSM that I'm currently building uses a standard R700 short action, PT&G bolt w/ "mini M16" extractor, and Surgeon bottom metal with Alpha Type 3 mags. </div></div>
Damn. I really didn't need to read that. LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn. I really didn't need to read that. LOL. </div></div>

Jump right in - the water is fine!

Got the action barreled last night, so hopefully I can progress to bedding this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 7WSM that I'm currently building uses a standard R700 short action, PT&G bolt w/ "mini M16" extractor, and Surgeon bottom metal with Alpha Type 3 mags. </div></div>
Damn. I really didn't need to read that. LOL. </div></div>

If you have the stock WSM action/bolt from Brownells, no reason whatsoever to dick with it (other than a good truing, etc). The factory extractor works just fine. The Surgeon DBM kicks ass, but the PTG DBM is a reasonable alternative and very cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn. I really didn't need to read that. LOL. </div></div>

Jump right in - the water is fine!

Got the action barreled last night, so hopefully I can progress to bedding this weekend. </div></div>

I built myself a 300wm a couple months ago, so I need to play it cool for a while yet. I trust you'll keep us in the loop with your build? Sounds sweet.

Scout-

I have no problems with the remmy extractor. I'v got a bunch of rifles with them and they work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks guys!

looks like the most economical way to do this is to start with a short action magnum, so i dont have to buy another bolt

brownells has the actions for $370 right now, so any reason i shouldnt go that route? </div></div>

Nothing wrong with a Rem action. If you are going to pimp it out i.e. bolt knob, bolt flute, side bolt release, blue printing, etc. add up the total versus a Stillers action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the stock WSM action/bolt from Brownells, no reason whatsoever to dick with it (other than a good truing, etc). The factory extractor works just fine.</div></div>

Agreed. In my case, it was a matter of stumbling upon a good deal on a donor action with a .473" bolt face, and also finding a good deal on a PT&G bolt with a magnum bolt face. Plus, I'm doing all the machine work, and my time is "free"
wink.gif

The rifle will probably get its own thread upon completion, but here are a couple pics of the action:

2012-10-25_12-55-21_565.jpg

2012-10-25_12-55-40_504.jpg

Edit: The receiver face looks kinda nasty in this pic, but that's just some smudges of oil from test-fitting it to the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dumb question but what are the differences in a remy 700 SA and Magnum SA?

trying to help my dad piece together the parts for his first custom gun, and he is set on the 7 wsm

if were sticking with a factory 700 to have blueprinted, do we need to have a magnum action, or can you just replace the bolt in a normal 700 SA?

and so i dont have to make another post, whats everyone using for a DBM in the WSM calibers?
</div></div>

What applications will the rifle see? For straight up killing Critters,the Montana 7WSM is THE Grail. For a midweight Play Toy,Winchester and their inherent 3" box makes a viable donor.

If staying the 700 theme and going DBM,Atlas fed Alpha's are a nice way to roll.

A turn-key Coyote 7WSM is a rather capable machine,for pocket change. They are throated favorably in conjunction with their 3" magbox,their weight reduces felt recoil and the fucking things really do nice things with 162's.

Though I hate Winchesters,they are assuredly a sleeper in this realm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trying to help my dad piece together the parts for his first custom gun, and he is set on the 7 wsm</div></div>

I still have that PTG reamer available if you want. It's got a "no turn" neck (.317 iirc) and .050" throat.

Takes a lot of the space out of the case jamming 180gr bullets in there for mag use though. You miht consider getting a Magnum LA to make it easier. Then you can seat the bullet out longer to stuff more powder in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And so i dont have to make another post, whats everyone using for a DBM in the WSM calibers?
</div></div>

I used a Precision Shooting Sports DBM with Alpha mags. I have no issue with the product, just the person who made it. He's not a good businessman and had a lto of people here at the 'Hide angry.

Pin the recoil lug and save your orig. Bolt....now u have a switch barrel, or at least options for later.... 308/260/243 whatever tickles yer fancy for less powder.

Just a thought, its good to have options

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: justinbaker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dumb question but what are the differences in a remy 700 SA and Magnum SA?

</div></div>

You might want to go this way:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/7mm/#7SAUM

IMO....a major problem with the 7MM WSM is the short neck! To feed through a short action the bullets have to be seated so deeply into the case that the base and boat-tail of the bullet...say a 140 gr. Nosler, is below the shoulder/neck junction and that is NOT GOOD! The 7MM SAUM will give identical performance, if not better than the 7MM WSM, all things being considered, using less powder and that IS GOOD! I have a 7MM WSM on a short Savage action which shoots great but if I hadn't had my head up my azz when choosing this caliber I probably would have chosen the 7MM SAUM! Just throwing this out for consideration!

Good luck to your sir!
grin.gif

Bullshit.

The SAUM can't hang with a WSM in any action length,when talking like pressures.

For conversation,here's 7-08,7-08AI,7SAUM,284Win and 7WSM at 2.800" COAL and at 3" COAL. I shoot them all,if only obviously.

DAD_9703.jpg

162's across the board,for the exceedingly dense sorts,who like talking out their ass about these things.

A 22" SAAMI 7-08 chamber in 1-10",will pinhole 162's at 2700fps.

10" Lilja,so chambered.

2R8G9458_HDR.jpg

Retrostalgic 24" 7-08AI,just for fucking around as the consumate Sleeper. 24" makes 2825fps with 162's ala '15.

DAD_1579.jpg

'17 will grant more,but I bleed '15 by default.

To really fuck with the Windowlicking Mall Ninja's,a 7WSM 'Yote is a down and dirty Sleeper.

MuchBetter.jpg

Sir,

You are going to give the whining do nothing dumb fuckers a heart attack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have the stock WSM action/bolt from Brownells, no reason whatsoever to dick with it (other than a good truing, etc). The factory extractor works just fine.</div></div>

Agreed. In my case, it was a matter of stumbling upon a good deal on a donor action with a .473" bolt face, and also finding a good deal on a PT&G bolt with a magnum bolt face. Plus, I'm doing all the machine work, and my time is "free"
wink.gif

The rifle will probably get its own thread upon completion, but here are a couple pics of the action:

2012-10-25_12-55-21_565.jpg

2012-10-25_12-55-40_504.jpg

Edit: The receiver face looks kinda nasty in this pic, but that's just some smudges of oil from test-fitting it to the barrel. </div></div>

Eric,

Anything to report on your build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: my human host</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eric,

Anything to report on your build?</div></div>

I now have a barrel screwed on the action:

2012-10-26_16-58-49_715.jpg

Bartlein #3, 1-9", 26" length.

This weekend's project was recycling a Manners MSC-T that I'd used on a previous build:

2012-10-27_20-19-16_17.jpg

Hopefully I'll get around to bedding it next week.