• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 WSM help

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
I'm a few days away from getting my new GAP 7 WSM. I have decided I want to shoot the 180 Berger VLD's pushed by either 4831SC or RL-22. Problem is, I have NO IDEA what dies to get.

I was thinking about getting a full length bushing die set from Redding (no idea what bushings to order) . Is this the way to go? Or should I just get a standard non-bushing full length die?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: 7 WSM help

The full length bushing dies will work. I am thinking of getting one so it can speed up my resizing duties. As for bushings, I am running a .313 bushing on my neck die, which gives me about .002 tension.

Your going to love your 7wsm. I got me a gap as well back in January. I just got the Foster ultra FL dies set and have had great luck with it. Just go with the Berger 180. You can't beat them. I have been shooting 4831sc . But have switched to h1000 getting less pressure signs but same speed. Also 4832 and h1000 are less temp sensitive.

I shoot, 180gr Bergers, 180gr JLKs and 175gr SMKs. I also have some 182gr Berger XLRs that I will be using with the next barrel and going to get some 162gr AMAXs again. IMO, they are the best all around bullet for the 7mm Magnums, if you can get them to shoot.

Somewhere along the line you will need a full length die to resize. At least if you are taking enough care of your brass to warrant a full re-sizing.

So, I recommend a Redding FL die set. And a Wilson neck sizer. get a bushing to just bring the neck down to .001"-.002" hold. Load moderately. Once you get cases that are hard to chamber (after resizing, not waiting to check after complete reload) then full length resize just enough.

If you don't want to mess with the Wilson Neck sizer, then just get a Redding deluxe set with FL and NK sizers.

-Good luck.

This is going to be my long range hunting rifle, so I was planning on full length sizing after each firing. Just bumping the shoulder of the brass back a couple thou after the initial firing. I did however like the idea of controlling my neck tension by using the FL Redding bushing die.

My main question was if others using the 7 WSM were controlling neck tension by using bushings, full length sizing each time, or doing both.

This will help me decide if I want to go the bushing route or just stick to a regular die.

I use a bushing neck sizer on mine only and bump the shoulder back every 5th reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is going to be my long range hunting rifle, so I was planning on full length sizing after each firing. Just bumping the shoulder of the brass back a couple thou after the initial firing. I did however like the idea of controlling my neck tension by using the FL Redding bushing die.

My main question was if others using the 7 WSM were controlling neck tension by using bushings, full length sizing each time, or doing both.

This will help me decide if I want to go the bushing route or just stick to a regular die. </div></div>

Why do you want to give up all that accuracy that just got built into your cases? Your cases got formed to the chamber. Now use that inherent accuracy tool by neck sizing just a little bit. When the cases don't chamber easily then FL size.

Besides, it will increase your case life immensely.

Edit:

Before you buy a neck bushing. Fire a set of cases and decide how much you want to neck down. Don't go with a given bushing as case neck thickness and chamber neck dia. will determine what you really need AFTER YOU FIRE THAT SET OF CASES. Measure twice, buy once.

Retumbo powder, winchester large magnum primmers, 180 bergers and 180 JLK. I use RCBS standard dies. My barrel is worn out now and needs replaced. I used 100 brass the whole life of the barrel and they are still useable. I will start over with new brass on the next barrel. This was for me. My chamber happened to work excellent with these dies. I now can't keep the bullet in the brass at all and touch the lands. Push those 180s to 3200fps and this will happen fairly quickly with the WSM. Mind you I did always use the same brass, so pressure was not a problem with the brass for me.

I planned on FL sizing just because it was a hunting rifle (that's just how I've always been told). But from what I gather here, my best bet would probably to get a set of neck sizer/body die/seater dies.

So now another question, how much of the neck are you sizing?

I size all of it. Since its a custom chamber, you should size all of it because its not going to be as loose as a factory lawyer chamber.

Also, remember that 7WSM likes to have 3-4 thou combined neck clearance for proper release. They dont like the necks to be tight.

I was thinking 2 to 3 thousandths smaller bushing than one of my loaded rounds.

And now I can't find any berger 180 hunting VLD's!!! Everywhere is sold out.

I don't know about the hunting ones, but I have seen the Target ones fairly regularly.

I like this thread. My wizzum should be ready by July. I can't wait.

No, but I've used a lot lighter hollow-points on them. The 180's out your 7 WSM will work fine. Put the bullet where it counts and no worries.

I've used 180 Bergers on antelope and they worked just fine. I would have no hesitation using them on deer.

finally got it!
IMG_0709.jpg

ME!!! But let me warn you, if you neck turn Win brass once, and see how out of wach they are, you will refuse to shoot any Win brass ever again without neck turning!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finally got it!
IMG_0709.jpg
</div></div>

That is an awesome looking rig. I have a similar set up comming from LSR with Seekins BM. What max COAL will you be able to feed from your mag? What bullets will you be testing?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">finally got it!
IMG_0709.jpg
</div></div>

That is an awesome looking rig. I have a similar set up comming from LSR with Seekins BM. What max COAL will you be able to feed from your mag? What bullets will you be testing? </div></div>

If the front spacer is removed from his mag, he will be able to do 2.950" while the Seekins BM can do 3.165"

Thanks USMCj, I'am not trying to jump the thread, just interested and drooling over dprestons rifle. Chris was telling me that there was some adjustments/mods that needed to be made to my Stiller Pred action in order to utilize the full potential of the magazine. I plan on using the 162 A-max and IMR-7828ssc.

The 162 a-max's were 2nd on my list to try. But I got a sweet deal on 500 bergers from a friend so I hope like hell my rifle likes them.

dpreston, if that rifle shoots half as good as it looks you wont have any problems. I went with the A-max as my 1st choice cause I bought the at the end of 08' when I spec'ed my rifle. They were only $26.00 per hundred from Natchez. The 175 SMK will be my back-up if the 162's end up the floating turd. I hope they shoot cause I bought 1K of them.

93bffba3.jpg

Similar to mine. I'm using redding bushing dies, 180vld's, H4831 and wolf magnum primers. Im experimenting with neck sizing and full lenght sizing for accuracy differences. Let you know if I find anything worth posting.

I'm buying some bushings for my dies....does anyone know what the neck thickness on new 7WSM winchestor brass is?

I just ordered a neck turner too, so if anyone has an average thickness after they turn their necks that would be helpful too.

Your brass will answer those questions unless the neck was ground under saami.

It's more rounds down range,but I would'nt jack with the necks till you've once fired them.

And now for the good news,,,if you shoot'em hot or alot you're going to head towards annealville.

My past,maybe/+- your future?

.015 is out of the bag average thickness. I just measured a loaded round and 3 empties. Removing .003 should clean the necks up just fine. I didnt have a neck turner when I bought my dies and bushing. Now that I have one I'll be getting a few extra bushings to play with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shpanther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And now for the good news,,,if you shoot'em hot or alot you're going to head towards annealville.

My past,maybe/+- your future?</div></div>
I plan on getting into that soon also.

This new gun is costing me a lot of money that I didn't plan on....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shpanther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How,or with what did you measure the thickness? </div></div>

Loaded round was measured outside neck diameter with digital calipers = .314 - bullet diameter .284 = .030 divided x 2 = .015

Empties were measured at various pionts around the neck wall the with same digital calipers

Just wondering.I have been using a Forster gauge.I'm using two different lots of wsm brass.One is about a year old and had pretty bad necks.My most recent batch is showing ALOT more promise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shpanther</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering.I have been using a Forster gauge.I'm using two different lots of wsm brass.One is about a year old and had pretty bad necks.My most recent batch is showing ALOT more promise.</div></div>

I picked up a sinclair neck turner for the hell of it because I've heard bad things about the win. necks.